Inés del alma mía by Isabel…

Inés del alma mía (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Isabel Allende

A work of historical fiction chronicles the brave deeds and passionate loves of a spirited woman who journeyed to the New World and helped found a nation.
Member:fugaz_42
Title:Inés del alma mía
Authors:Isabel Allende
Info:[Barcelona] Areté 2006
Rating:*****

Work Information

Inés of My Soul by Isabel Allende (2006)

English (72)  Spanish (6)  Dutch (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (86)
Historical fiction about the life of Inés Suárez. Born in Spain in the early 1500s, she sails to South America with her niece to find her husband, Juan de Málaga, who has gone in search of gold. The story is told by Inés, near the end of her life, in the form of a diary she plans to give to her stepdaughter, Isabel. The narrative covers her three romantic relationships, and her participation in the expedition to conquer Chile. They establish the city of Santiago and battle the native people.

Allende is known for her female protagonists, and Inés is the prototype of a strong woman. She becomes self-sufficient as a seamstress, cook, and nurse. Allende employs magical realism here, but less so than some of her previous works. This novel is a sweeping saga covering approximately eighty years. Inés experiences many adventures, hardships, battles, and love affairs. The author does not spare the gruesome details of combat, punishments, and executions.

I enjoyed this book and looked forward to picking it up. It occasionally wanders from the primary storyline. I was not previously aware of Inés Suárez and her role in Chilean history. It inspired me to do further research. ( )
  Castlelass | Oct 30, 2022 |
The story of how Spaniards colonized Chile, torturing and subjugating the Indians who were there first, in the 16th century. ( )
  burritapal | Oct 23, 2022 |
I am a huge fan of historical novels well done. I also love to learn about areas and societies of which I know little or nothing. This book fills both bills. Ines Suarez was a remarkable Spanish lady who traveled to the New World in the 1530s and helped to settle Peru and Chili. The only name I recognized from history class was that of Pizzaro, so you can imagine that this was a wholly new adventure for me.

Allende impresses me by her very even-handed handling of the native Indians who already populate the territories that eventually become Peru and Chili. It is a terribly cruel and undeserved fate that await them at the hands of the Spaniards, and, while they are themselves a cruel and bloodthirsty people, they do not seem any less civilized in many ways than the conquistadors who come to conquer and enslave them.

The thread of this novel is woven through the love stories of Ines, who is the mistress of and eventually wife of two of the most important men in the Spanish contingent. She is a woman who is skilled and can hold her own with her male counterparts, and in a world that was not kind to the female gender, she achieved a kind of equality that was rare and outstanding. To see her unflinching attitude in the face of so much carnage, hard work and repeated destruction, made me wonder how long I could have endured such a life. That she was there for the Mapuche wars and still lived into her 80s is a feat unparalleled in her time. She buried all the men around her.

This is not my first Allende, and I have found that I run hot and cold with her. She is a good writer, but sometimes runs in a vein that does not captivate me. I thought this one of her better works. If I had been able to establish a deeper emotional tie to Ines, I would have given it a five. As it is, four stars is a good rating for me, and I am glad I finally sat myself down and read this. I am positive that it has enhanced my understanding and knowledge of the period and the people who settled South America.
  mattorsara | Aug 11, 2022 |
Excellent ( )
  PatLibrary123 | Aug 9, 2022 |
Inez Suarez was born approximately 1507 to a poor family in Spain. She seized her destiny full heartedly. She was not content to continue to live quietly in Spain merely supporting herself after her husband Juan de Málaga left to find his fortune in the New World with the Pizzaro brothers.

Instead after several years, she set off after him, not knowing where in the Spanish new world he might be.
After discovering de Malaga had died, she became the mistress of Pedro de Valdiva'

Inez accompanied de Vadiva on his hazardous expedition south from Peru into the unknown wilderness which became known as Chile. During the trek south, she acted as a healer and also saved the expedition by her miraculous ability to find (“witch”) water in the desert.

She had a major role in the defense of their new outpost Santiago, devising a bloody plan that turned the tide of the uprising against the small force of Spaniards by thousands of Mapuche natives.

According to Wikipedia, Inez is still “seen as a symbol of a Chilean woman standing up to authority, … and as a role model to contemporary protestors against mistreatment.”

I was not familiar with the history of South America other than a mere sentence or two in my long ago high school history books. And so, Allende’s fictionalization was fascinating, though the brutal treatment of the Mapuche natives was eye-opening and saddening; they are more examples of the ‘might makes right’ against people willing to stand and fight for their land and their way of life.
I’ll definitely be reading more of Allende. Although I realize these are novelizations, I always find interesting history in them and appreciate the way she can tell a good tale, making me care about her characters. I also appreciate the strong women in her stories. ( )
  streamsong | Apr 27, 2022 |
Allende peppers Inés’ bio with characteristically fragrant details emotional fire-storms, lush foliage, aphrodisiac potions, and many “blazing whirlwinds” of lovemaking that turn a truly extraordinary life story into a forgettable, easy-reading romp.

“Inés is wholly a woman of her day, and Allende does not turn away from the historical record, which has her decapitating indigenous prisoners and hurling their heads over a fortress wall to terrorize their peers as well as saving lives as a gentle-handed healer.”

“Despite its graphic violence, “Ines,” like all of Allende’s novels, drips with color and sensuality. The author spent four years researching the era, incorporating knowledge not just about the history of Chile during the subjugation of its native people by the courageous and cruel Spanish, but such vital details as the kinds of food emigrants ate on the long ocean voyage and their manner of dress.The research pays off in finely detailed scenes.”

Allende, Isabelprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anér Melin, Lenasecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Armand, GiskenInnl.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Juan, AnaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liverani, ElenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lopes, Ana Mendessecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sayers Penden, MargaretTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Varas, IsabelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I am Inés Suárez, a townswoman of the loyal city of Santiago de Nueva Extremadura in the kingdom of Chile, writing in the year of Our Lord 1580

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,392,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible