The Wrong Girl by Hank Phillippi Ryan

The Wrong Girl

by Hank Phillippi Ryan

As far as pop fiction mysteries go, this one wasn't too bad. The mystery/detective plot was actually pretty good. Nothing too outrageous nor obvious. What provoked the two star ranking is twofold: 1) incessant rhetorical questions by characters that are obvious to any reader with half a brain and do nothing to further the story. "Why is he here? Who murdered X?" The reader is already wondering these things; the author does not need to tell the reader to wonder these things. Rhetorical questions of this nature are space fillers and suggest to me that the author did not have enough material to flesh out the story in better ways. (True, rhetorical questions are even more obvious in audiobooks than they are in paper, perhaps because I can't skim over them the same way. Nevertheless...) @) nearly every dialogue in the book seemed to be interrupted by the protagonist's impatience/frustration/distraction/etc which only served to frustrate me. You know when you watch a soap opera and the actors pause frequently and then the scene cuts away and the story moves forward like a glacier as a result? [Joey on FRIENDS explained this concept really well.] That's the effect these interruptions had for me, except when the interruption was especially lengthy: then I simply forgot that I was reading a dialogue altogether! I wanted to yell, "Just let the person speak and actually listen to them!" Instead, characters were so focussed on one thing they missed relevant information. (Just like in the soaps.) Once or twice with this stylistic device, okay, I can handle that. But when nearly every conversation seemed to follow this pattern? Exasperating. More uninterrupted dialogue, please.

Read another by this author? Maybe if I'm desperate for an audiobook, but it won't be soon. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Dec 3, 2017 |
THE WRONG GIRL (Jane Ryland & Jake Brogan #2) by Hank Phillippi Ryan, offers a complex and suspenseful crime investigation, into the corrupt and scandalous foster care and adoption system; mixed with mystery, intrigue and some sexual tensions between reporter and detective, for an engrossing read.

Jane Ryland, the investigative reporter at the Boston Registry newspaper learns of a former colleague, Tucker Cameron,who was adopted as an infant, and used information provided by her adoption agency to find her birth mother, only to discover that the woman was not her real mother.

Tucker Cameron, needs her help with the investigation of Brannigan Family and Children’s Services, who managed to reunite her with the wrong birth mother. She thinks everything is just too perfect when they meet, and then her suspicious prove correct. A possible conspiracy? What is the motive? Is this a case of falling between the cracks or something more serious?

In the meantime, sexy Detective Jake Brogan (Jane’s love interest), is involved with another case that involves working with the child welfare system when he's called in to investigate a murder and abusive situation leaving two children without a family.

When Jake is investigating the mother of a young woman, he finds two young children and no information about the mother, or any other parent. The children are passed on to a qualified foster mother until another family member can be found; but where is the baby that was in the cradle at the murder scene?

Jane is sharp and utilizes her keen investigative skills to attain answers from Jake’s partner, Jake, Tuc, as well as the adoption agency and everyone connected. Could the two cases be connected?

What comes next, is fast-paced suspense with twists and turns taking them into the middle of a danger zone, with a killer on the loose and a missing infant for a race against time. What a dynamic duo!

My first read by Ryan was her latest TRUTH BE TOLD (#3 Jane Ryland Series) an intense, edgy, and complex suspense mystery drama, of two cases, twenty years apart—from bank fraud, real estate foreclosures, to murder with a hint of romance, between detective and journalist, as they work together, to piece together the puzzle, before the next hit. (#3 is a 5 star winner, performed by award-winning, Xe Sands , which I enjoy).

Fans of both THE OTHER WOMAN (#1) and THE WRONG GIRL (#2) will devour the latest. Each can be read as a standalone; however, you will want to read them all.

Ryan’s writing is tight with well-developed characters, as enjoy the intelligent, funny, and sassy Jane. Ryan’s integration of social issues and corruption into this compelling series, is fresh and on key, in today's world--from politics, foster care, and real estate and mortgage fraud. I also appreciate the well-designed contemporary front covers, as this is a big plus when purchasing a book, as I do "judge a book by its cover". Her vast professional experience lends itself useful for an exciting series, as she does not miss a beat.

Let’s hope #4 will allow Jake/Jane a little time in between chasing the bad guys, for some much needed R&R to some exotic island hideaway. I am sure they would find some mischief wherever they land.

Judith D. Collins Must Read Books Blog

JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
I have heard wonderful things about Hank Phillippi Ryan's books and thought I should give one a try. While I enjoyed The Wrong Girl, it did not grab me the way others in the genre have. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Jan 15, 2014 |
Second novel featuring intrepid reporter Jane Ryland (former newscaster, fired for refusing to name a source, now working for a second string newspaper in Boston, and who has a powerful hankering for local detective Jake Brogan -- who hankers back.) Many of the problems I had with the first book have been ironed out. I still am adjusting to abundant mobile phone/voice mail/text usage as a plot mover, but am getting over my issues with that, since it's a way of the world these days. The author is ratcheting up the tension between Jane and Jake, and the device of "we've got a powerful attraction, but can't follow through because it would compromise the integrity of our work" is used a lot. I may check out Ryan's other series. ( )
  bookczuk | Nov 15, 2013 |
I received an ARC of this book in late June from the author in a random drawing. It's taken me this long to write this review not because I didn't read it right away -- I did. I think it was the subject matter -- adoption and foster care -- that blocked me. You see, one of my duaghters has been fostering a baby girl from the age of ten days. On September 6, the adoption became final and I'm now officially a grandmother. So I can heave a sigh of relief and talk a bit about The Wrong Girl.

We met reporter Jane Ryland, who had recently moved from TV journalism to print, in the thrilling The Other Woman. She's very interested in Boston police detective Jake Brogan, and he in her, but both realize the potential ethical conflicts and are playing it cool for now. As Jane tries to help her erstwhile deskmate Tuck find her birthmother, Jake is investigating the murder of a young woman found in an apartment with two small children-- and evidence of a possible third. Then, people at the adoption agency that handled Tuck's adoption start turning up dead. With many twists and turns, some truly firghtening scenes, and just enough romance, Ryan keeps the reader guessing till the end. Hank Philippi Ryan's day job as an investigative reporter lends the ring of truth to Jane's efforts to solve the mystery. Highly recommended. ( )
  auntieknickers | Nov 5, 2013 |

Does a respected adoption agency have a frightening secret? Tipped off by a determined ex-colleague on a desperate quest to find her birth mother, Boston newspaper reporter Jane Ryland begins to suspect that the agency is engaging in the ultimate betrayal—reuniting birth parents with the wrong children.

For detective Jake Brogan and his partner, a young woman’s brutal murder seems a sadly predictable case of domestic violence, one that results in two toddlers being shuttled into the foster care system. Then Jake finds an empty cradle at the murder scene. Where is the baby who should have been sleeping there?

Jane and Jake are soon on a trail full of twists and turns that takes them deep into the heart of a foster care system in crisis and threatens to blow the lid off an adoption agency scandal. When the threatening phone calls start, Jane knows she is on the right track…but with both a killer at large and an infant missing, time is running out….

The Wrong Girl is a riveting novel of familial relationships—both known and unknown—vile greed, senseless murder, and the ultimate in deception. What if you didn’t know the truth about your own family?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:22 -0400)

"Award-winning and Boston Globe bestselling author Hank Phillippi Ryan presents a spine-chilling, heart-wrenching suspense novel that explores a terrifying scenario striking at the heart of every family. Does a respected adoption agency have a frightening secret? Tipped off by a determined ex-colleague on a desperate quest to find her birth mother, Boston newspaper reporter Jane Ryland begins to suspect that the agency is engaging in the ultimate betrayal--reuniting birth parents with the wrong children.For detective Jake Brogan and his partner, a young woman's brutal murder seems a sadly predictable case of domestic violence, one that results in two toddlers being shuttled into the foster care system. Then Jake finds an empty cradle at the murder scene. Where is the baby who should have been sleeping there?Jane and Jake are soon on a trail full of twists and turns that takes them deep into the heart of a foster care system in crisis and threatens to blow the lid off an adoption agency scandal. When the threatening phone calls start, Jane knows she is on the right track...but with both a killer at large and an infant missing, time is running out....The Wrong Girl is a riveting novel of familial relationships--both known and unknown--vile greed, senseless murder, and the ultimate in deception. What if you didn't know the truth about your own family? "--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,598,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible