dismiss

Monsieur Pain (Narrativas Hispanicas)…

Monsieur Pain (Narrativas Hispanicas) (Spanish Edition) (edition 2013)

by Roberto Bolano

A Bolaño classic. The Peruvian poet César Vallejo is in the hospital, afflicted with an undiagnosed illness and unable to stop hiccuping. His wife calls on an acquaintance of her friend Madame Reynaud: the mesmerist Pierre Pain. Pain, a timid bachelor, is in love with the widow Reynaud and agrees to help. But two mysterious Spanish men follow him and bribe him not to treat Vallejo. Ravaged by guilt and anxiety, Pain does not intend to abandon his new patient, but his access to the hospital is barred and Madame Reynaud mysteriously leaves Paris. Another practitioner of the occult sciences enters the story (working for Generalissimo Franco, using his mesmeric expertise to interrogate prisoners) -- as do Mme. Curie, tarot cards, an assassination, and nightmares. Meanwhile, a haunted Monsieur Pain wanders the crepuscular, rainy streets of Paris. . . .… (more)
Member:Samuel.Sotillo
Title:Monsieur Pain (Narrativas Hispanicas) (Spanish Edition)
Authors:Roberto Bolano
Info:Anagrama (2013), Edition: 1ST, Paperback, 176 pages
Collections:Your library, Books
Tags:Books, Roberto Bolaño, Literature, Chilean Writer, Latin American Writer, Latin American Narrative

Monsieur Pain by Roberto Bolaño

English (16)  Spanish (2)  All languages (18)
Beautiful writing, but the story dragged with dialogue. Won't give up on Bolano, though. Perhaps it could deserve more than two stars but I just couldn't get into it. ( )
  kvschnitzer | Dec 8, 2019 |
3.5 Eerie and surreal, this is an engrossing but ultimately unfulfilling novella by a master. Worth it for making the protagonist a Mesmerist! ( )
  Eoin | Jun 3, 2019 |
>Wherever the sun doesn't go I don't go either. Except to pubs. -- Bohumil Hrabal

Monsignor Pain is a delightful construction. It is a blurred exposure. It is an appropriate paranoiac period piece; the Paris of 1938 teemed with suspicions and throttled aspirations. Bolano's titular protagonist is a haunted sort, gassed during the Great War and living on a pension, he's an Occultist and a confident. His bleery hopes are all unrequited. He stumbles and yet clings. A downpour of madness and paranoia overtakes him for a two day trip out of the bounds of proscribed sanity: with the Peruvian poet Vallejo reclining just off stage.

The best images occur in Pain's rainy visit to a cinema. The air throughout the novella remains heavy with absinthe, wet clothing and vermin. Who could honestly want more than this?
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
Some say this is not worth reading if you're just getting into Bolano, but I strongly disagree. There's a lot to like about this excursion into detective fiction by the man who brought us '2666'. ( )
  soylentgreen23 | Jul 3, 2016 |
Roberto Bolaño's homage to Poe, perhaps "The Purloined Letter" because of the Parisian setting (which naturally affects the meaning of the title) might most enjoyably be read by those who are already Bolaño devotees. His long, delicately turning sentences (in translation at any rate) and the peculiar sense of distance between narrator and narrated are here for those of us who have already read his major novels, The Savage Detectives and 2666 and some shorter works, and so know what memorable experiences he can deliver; here the pleasure resides in the reading, with little lingering in the mind afterwards. But pleasurable reading is not a small achievement.
  V.V.Harding | Apr 21, 2015 |

Roberto Bolañoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Andrews, ChrisTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

P. Does the idea of death afflict you?
V. (Very quickly.) No-no!
P. Are you pleased with the prospect?
V. If I were awake I should like to die, but now it is
no matter. The mesmeric condition is so near death as to
content me.
P. I wish you would explain yourself, Mr Vankirk.
V. I am willing to do so, but it requires more effort than
I feel able to make. You do not question me properly.
P. What then should I ask?
V. You must begin at the beginning.
P. The beginning! But where is the beginning?

"Mesmeric Revelation"
Edgar Allan Poe
for Carolina López
On Wednesday the sixth of April, at dusk, as I was preparing to leave my lodgings, I received a telegram from my young friend Madame Reynaud, requesting, with a certain urgency, my presence that evening at the Café Bordeaux, on the Rue de Rivoli, relatively close to where I live, which meant that if I hurried, I could still arrive punctually at the specified time.
I slept well and soundly, and if I dreamed, I also had the good sense to forget my dreams.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,095,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible