Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar--Your…

by David Perlmutter

Other authors: Kristin Loberg

The devastating truth about the effects of wheat, sugar, and carbs on the brain, with a 30-day plan to achieve optimum health.
    Bad Pharma: How Drug Companies Mislead Doctors and Harm Patients by Ben Goldacre (eclecticdodo)
    eclecticdodo: Bad Pharma has useful information on assessing reliability of medical studies and claims that should be applied to this book

English (32)  Spanish (1)  All languages (33)
Gluten and glucose are gonna kill us us...

Mind blowing stuff in this book. Stuff you've heard about, read about, or studied in class.

For instance: How come I put out of my mind that testosterone is made from cholesterol AND that cholesterol is a precursor for Vitamin D?

Took a grad level nutrition class in college by mistake. It was nothing but witchcraft and applied biochemistry. Scared me to death but I learned a lot.

He even talked about advanced glycation end products and prions!

More in depth review pending. ( )
  nfulks32 | Jul 17, 2020 |
A lot of reviewers complain that this title is very repetitive. It is but for the audiobook that is alright. It is very easy for much of what the author wrote to slip right by especially if I'm doing other stuff while listening. I'm not convinced that this diet is for everyone, but I am convinced that for the people who need this diet that it is life changing. I'll change my food choices some based on this book and definitely watch for future news on this topic. ( )
  Jerry.Yoakum | Jan 21, 2020 |
There is a quite a bit of "marketing" of the author's "diet plan" spread throughout the book.

The author seemed loathe to actually call his eating plan what it is: Keto. Though, he does permit legumes/beans, so maybe it is a Keto-Paleo hybrid. But he is extremely anti-gluten and, to a much lesser extent, anti-sugar.

I liked hearing about another take on the low carb lifestyle; I did not like his upselling of his own stuff (since I already bought this book, he got enough of my money). I listened to this in audio format, but might have preferred this in print, so I could look back at the info in select chapters of interest to me. If you already follow a gluten free and/or a keto diet, there is nothing new in this book. ( )
  crazybatcow | Mar 20, 2019 |
pg.41 growing more brain cells is under your control
LDL is not a cholesterol molecule, nor is it good or bad. (Low Density Lipoprotein)
pg.126 We are designed to be smart people our entire lives.
Cognitive decay is not a part of aging.
pg.132 BDNF is your brain's growth hormone. Exercise. (Brain-derived neurotrophic factor)
133 Caloric restriction increases BDNF
141 have a kid with behavioral problems? have their DHA tested. ADHD can be "cured"
148 Sugars & gluten filled carbs do trigger changes in behavior, control of focus and concentration, mood conditions like depression. Inflammatory carbs and being low in healthy fats messes with your mind: ADHD, anxiety disorder, Tourettes Syndrome, mental illness, migraines, and even autism.
152 In the U.S. as of 3/2013 6.4 million children ages 4-17 are diagnosed with ADHD and put on powerful mind-altering drugs and the long-term consequences have never been tested!

let that sink in

184 Brain enhancing genetic pathways activated by caloric restrictionn are also engaged by fasting. Fasting produces BDNF, but also powers up Nrf2. (worth looking up) Fasting causes the brain to switch from glucose to ketones as fuel, and mitochonrial genses are turned on. Energy and better brain funcion as well as clarity are obtained.
188 gives supplements for healthy brains. pgs 223-224 gives more detail
194 Old minds are like old horses; you must exercise them if you wish to keep them in working order. John Adams
The best way to make you smarter is not by doing a puzzle, but by taking a walk; exercise.
Aerobic exercise has been shown to reverse memory decline and increase growth of new brain cells in the brain's memory center.
202 Exercise improves insulin sensitivity. It helps manage blood sugar balance and reduce the glycation of proteins. Exercise decreases hemoglobin A1C and this rivals the diabetes medications.

chapter 11 gives meal plans and recipes

The reason I didn't give it five stars: on page 240 he gives a schedule example and the eating times are too many and too close together with only 3 hours of digestion between. What happened to all of the fasting he talked about in the book? It does however, give four times throughout the day of exercising. So again, 4 stars and I highly recommend reading the book and eating healthier. ( )
  VhartPowers | Dec 27, 2018 |
I really learned a lot by reading this book. It was highly recommended by my MD and several friends. I have changed my diet and exercise programs to reflect this new knowledge and I feel a lot better. ( )
  Katyefk | Aug 4, 2018 |
Under Perlmutter’s prism, a single study, of 13 people, with a finding of “possible association,” turns into a near certainty. Hyperbole is a good way to sell diet books and start fads, but it’s not good for dieters.

David Perlmutterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Loberg, Kristinsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Your brain...weighs three pounds and has one hundred thousand miles of blood vessels. contains more connections than there are stars in the Milky Way. is the fattest organ in your body. could be suffering this very minute without your having a clue.
To my father, who at age ninety-six begins each day by getting dressed to see his patients -- despite having retired more than a quarter century ago.
If you could ask your grandparents or great-grandparents what people died from when they were growing up, you'd likely hear the words "old age."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,414,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible