Annihilation: A Novel (The Southern Reach…

Annihilation: A Novel (The Southern Reach Trilogy, 1) (edition 2014)

by Jeff VanderMeer (Author)

4,6903001,858 (3.69)1 / 315
Area X has been cut off from the rest of the continent for decades. Nature has reclaimed the last vestiges of human civilization. The first expedition returned with reports of a pristine, Edenic landscape; all the members of the second expedition committed suicide; the third expedition died in a hail of gunfire as its members turned on one another; the members of the eleventh expedition returned as shadows of their former selves, and within months of their return, all had died of aggressive cancer. This is the twelfth expedition. Their group is made up of four women: an anthropologist, a surveyor, a psychologist--the de facto leader--and a biologist, who is our narrator. Their mission is to map the terrain and collect specimens, to record all their observations, scientific and otherwise, of their surroundings and of one another and, above all, to avoid being contaminated by Area X itself. They arrive expecting the unexpected, and Area X delivers--they discover a massive topographic anomaly and life forms that surpass understanding--but it's the surprises that came across the border with them and the secrets the expedition members are keeping from one another that change everything.… (more)
Member:jsclev
Title:Annihilation: A Novel (The Southern Reach Trilogy, 1)
Authors:Jeff VanderMeer (Author)
Info:FSG Originals (2014), Edition: First Edition, 208 pages

Work Information

Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

Roadside Picnic by Arkady Strugatsky (Tuirgin, jeroenvandorp)
    Tuirgin: The Strugatsky Bros.' Roadside Picnic seems to be a touchstone of the Southern Reach Trilogy—and this continues with greater parallels in Authority. The styles of writing are entirely different, but the concept of Area X is a definite echo of the Zone. Roadside Picnic is a classic of European Science Fiction and well worth reading.… (more)
    Solaris by Stanisław Lem (ShelfMonkey)
    Acceptance by Jeff VanderMeer (LiteraryReadaholic)
    The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (andomck)
    andomck: Scientists exploring an alien environment
    Swamplandia! by Karen Russell (andomck)
    andomck: Swamps are crazy, man
    The Drowned World by J. G. Ballard (ShelfMonkey)
    Wool by Hugh Howey (thenothing)
    thenothing: dystopia, conspiracy
    Wilder Girls by Rory Power (bibliovermis)
    Nova Swing by M. John Harrison (paradoxosalpha)
    paradoxosalpha: The infection/mutation of characters and their ambivalent encounters with transcendent power are in both cases oriented toward a mysterious region of putatively non-human influence.
    The Ruins by Scott Smith (BeckyJG)
    The Dream Archipelago by Christopher Priest (AlanPoulter)
    AlanPoulter: Both contain landscapes and people that play with with our sense of reality.
    City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VanderMeer (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: VanderMeer's earlier world-building venture, full of weird-ass fungus war and other monsters. It's lovely and grotesque.
    The Hollow Places by T Kingfisher (sturlington)
    Cold Skin by Albert Sánchez Piñol (FFortuna)
    The Other Side of the Mountain by Michel Bernanos (marietherese)
    The Last Letter (Conversation Pieces, Vol 31) by Fiona Lehn (psybre)
    psybre: Also set in an odd near-future (where an environmental disaster has made an entire island dangerous and soon to become uninhabitable).
    The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway (hairball)
    hairball: Maybe it's the fuzzy cover of the one book, but they remind me of each other.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (LiteraryReadaholic)

English (293)  Italian (2)  Chinese, traditional (1)  Finnish (1)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (299)
I was going to read the whole trilogy, but I decided not to bother since I could barely finish this book. This is one of the rare instances where I think the movie was actually better. The movie made it clear what was happening in Area X. The book just seemed to have a lot of vague descriptions and abstract ideas. The first half wasn't bad but the second half just disappointed me. ( )
  marymatus | Jan 12, 2022 |
The plot could not deliver on what the tone promised. My engrossment waned once the author had to deliver on the mood he'd set and I found the final delivery to be wanting... I don't regret reading but I don't know that I will read the next 2. ( )
  nrfaris | Dec 23, 2021 |
Wow, still need time to process this one, but I'm pretty sure I was just completely blown away by this book. What a surprise, too. I've seen this called sci-fi, horror, and psychological thriller, but I'm not sure any of those appellations truly fit this story. The story is rife scenes that impart feelings of dread and foreboding and suspense. And there are scientific elements to it (is "biological sci-fi" a thing?). But the overwhelming feeling I get from it is more of the fantastic masquerading, for a time, as normality. An expedition into a strange area of untouched wilderness where something occurred 30 years ago. It all sort of feels like visiting a ghost town that still boasts vestiges of long-past glory, but where no one living can recall the golden days. Perhaps that is hyperbole; I'm still sort of reeling.

What I can say for sure is that Vandermeer is one hell of a storyteller. The world he builds with such lush descriptions serves as an anchor when things begin to get strange. The characterizations are spare but they never seem lacking. The story purposely becomes more and more disorienting, but it pulls itself back together by the conclusion. I'm stunned and shaken and discomfited, and I can't wait for the next installment. ( )
  JessicaReadsThings | Dec 2, 2021 |
Muito bom. Fiquei apavorado! ( )
  tarsischwald | Oct 23, 2021 |
Li quase numa tacada só. História incrível, arrepiante, dadas as circustâncias dos eventos. Muito bem escrito, a forma como as situações que se passam na misteriosa Área-X se entrelaçam com a vida da protagonista. Não posso falar mais para não cair em spoilers, apenas é uma pérola que vale a leitura, talvez o convite funcione para além dos fãs de scifi. ( )
  tarsischwald | Oct 23, 2021 |
Atemberaubend!

...strange, clever, off-putting, maddening, claustrophobic, occasionally beautiful, occasionally disturbing and altogether fantastic...Annihilation is a book meant for gulping — for going in head-first and not coming up for air until you hit the back cover.
added by zhejw | editNPR, Jason Sheehan (Feb 7, 2014)

"Annihilation," in which the educated and analytical similarly meets up with the inhuman, is a clear triumph for Vandermeer, who after numerous works of genre fiction has suddenly transcended genre with a compelling, elegant and existential story of far broader appeal.
added by zhejw | editLos Angeles Times, Lydia Millet (Jan 20, 2014)

Jeff VanderMeerprimary authorall editionscalculated
McCormick, CarolynNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nyquist, EricCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Strick, CharlotteCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Ann
The tower, which was not supposed to be there, plunges into the earth in a place just before the black pine forest begins to give way to swamp and then the reeds and wind-gnarled trees of the marsh flats. Beyond the marsh flats and the natural canals lies the ocean and, a little farther down the coast, a derelict lighthouse. All of this part of the country had been abandoned for decades, for reasons that are not easy to relate. Our expedition was the first to enter Area X for more than two years, and much of our predecessors’ equipment had rusted, their tents and sheds little more than husks. Looking out over that untroubled landscape, I do not believe any of us could yet see the threat.
Desolation tries to colonize you.
"Annihilation!" she shrieked at me, flailing in confusion.  "Annihilation! Annihilation!" The word seemed more meaningless the more she repeated it, like the cry of a bird with a broken wing.

Area X has been cut off from the rest of the continent for decades. Nature has reclaimed the last vestiges of human civilization. The first expedition returned with reports of a pristine, Edenic landscape; the second expedition ended in mass suicide; the third expedition in a hail of gunfire as its members turned on one another. The members of the eleventh expedition returned as shadows of their former selves, and within weeks, all had died of cancer. In Annihilation, the first volume of Jeff VanderMeer's Southern Reach trilogy, we join the twelfth expedition.
The group is made up of four women: an anthropologist; a surveyor; a psychologist, the de facto leader; and our narrator, a biologist. Their mission is to map the terrain, record all observations of their surroundings and of one another, and, above all, avoid being contaminated by Area X itself.
They arrive expecting the unexpected, and Area X delivers—they discover a massive topographic anomaly and life forms that surpass understanding—but it's the surprises that came across the border with them and the secrets the expedition members are keeping from one another that change everything.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,255,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible