La trilogie de la poussi by Philip Pullman

La trilogie de la poussi (edition 2017)

by Philip Pullman (Author)

Series: The Book of Dust (1)

When Malcolm finds a secret message inquiring about a dangerous substance called Dust, he finds himself embroiled in a tale of intrigue featuring enforcement agents from the Magisterium, a woman with an evil monkey daemon, and a baby named Lyra.
Member:Raeigis
Title:La trilogie de la poussi
Authors:Philip Pullman (Author)
Info:Gallimard (2017), 544 pages

Work Information

La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman

English (111)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (113)
I truly enjoy the writing style of Philip Pullman he has a great way of creating a believable but still fantastical world and populating it with interesting and intriguing characters. I did not enjoy the ending the HIs Dark Materials series at all so I was rather concerned how I would feel about this new series following Lyra. I was very pleasantly surprised that I love this new series and find it very engaging and enjoyable. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Damn ok this was wild. it kind of felt like the HDM equivalent of Rogue One to the star wars sextet because it wasnt really necessary for understanding the story, filled in some gaps i wasnt curious about, had kind of boring characters, and yet was really exciting and just a fun read overall. I liked that it at first was told as almost a mystery from malcolms POV, it made me feel like i was reading the golden compass for the first time again. the second half was good, especially towards the end when it gets kinda magical-realist.
im mad that phil went the route of romance between mal and alice again, it feels so contrived and boring.

also im SURE theres something up about Hannah like is she from our world??? why else would she have books by agatha christie or stephen hawking ? (although they shoutout Pythagoras so maybe famous people exist in both worlds... thatd be stupid tho idek)
  jooniper | Sep 10, 2021 |
DNF
  stacyastokes | Sep 7, 2021 |
This was my first book by Philip Pullman. I've never read the "His Dark Materials" trilogy. I listened to this audiobook mostly because I've heard a raving review about it and because Michael Sheen, one of my fave actors, narrated it. And MAN did he ever narrate that book so awesomely! And what a wonderful, compelling, sometimes even thought-provoking story it was. I loved Malcom and Alice and their daemons Asta and Ben and then sweet little Lyra and OMG the nuns... Loved loved loved it and couldn't stop listenting. For which I also - again - want to give Michael Sheen credit. He did not only read that book, he performed it. He lived it. If he hadn't already gotten an award for his brilliant reading, I'd say give it to him! I'm not sure yet if I should also read the next book in the "The Book of Dust" series. While I absolutely want to know how that story continues and would love to meet some of these lovely characters again, I've read some things about the follow up that let me wait for now and just admire this wonderful gem of a book. ( )
  Heidi64 | Jul 18, 2021 |
This was my travel day book, and I really enjoyed it and would have loved to just keep reading—the ending, obviously leading to a sequel, meant things still felt unfinished. I really enjoyed following Malcom's adventures, and his tentative friendship with Alice, and especially his relationship with Dr Relf. I would have loved to read more about her, anyway.

Very much looking forward to the sequel. ( )
  queen_ypolita | Jul 18, 2021 |
I recognize that my expectations are impossibly high and that, in literature as well as in romance, you cannot return to the exact feeling you had before. I’d like to think that Pullman is biding his time, laying down the groundwork for what is yet to come.

And even with its longueurs, the book is full of wonder. [...] It’s a stunning achievement, the universe Pullman has created and continues to build on. All that remains is to sit tight and wait for the next installment.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, Sarah Lyall (Oct 18, 2017)

The Greeks permeate his writing. Like Odysseus, his new hero, Malcolm, is on a self-appointed quest, fighting off enemies from his boat. (He’s also very unlike Odysseus, being 11 years old, ginger-haired and partial, like Pullman, to woodworking and meat pies.) “The Book of Dust” has other touchstones too: William Blake, the occult, ancient civilizations, East Asia and a eight-minute piece by Borodin called “In the Steppes of Central Asia.” Most of all, Edmund Spenser’s epic, 16th-century allegory, “The Faerie Queene.” Pullman copies the structure of “The Faerie Queene” — strange encounter after strange encounter — but thankfully not its style. When I admitted how I had struggled with the countless pages of archaic verse, Pullman shouted, gleeful, from his seat: “So did I! Couldn’t read it. Couldn’t read it at all until I was doing this.” His own novel is more readable, and earthier, locked into reality by character and geography, Malcolm and Oxford.

Pullman, Philipprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sheen, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wormell, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To Jude
Three miles up the river Thames from the centre of Oxford............

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,548,930 books! | Top bar: Always visible