Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 1 by Jeff Kinney

Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 1 (edition 2007)

by Jeff Kinney (Author)

Greg records his sixth grade experiences in a middle school where he and his best friend, Rowley, undersized weaklings amid boys who need to shave twice daily, hope just to survive, but when Rowley grows more popular, Greg must take drastic measures to save their friendship.
Member:katkelwriter
Title:Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Book 1
Authors:Jeff Kinney (Author)
Info:Amulet Books (2007), Edition: 1, 224 pages

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney

English (613)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Arabic (1)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (627)
This book is about a boy and tells about his struggles at school and at home with his friends and his family. He partakes in lots of things dealing with drama in his life.
  Amelia.Drake | Dec 8, 2019 |
Greg Haffley has just graduated to middle school, as if it's a good thing. Not only does it mean a new year of school, but a school that is undoubtedly filled with brutes. But fret not, Greg definitely has some ideas how to make this year his year. Just you wait...

I don't know, man. I perhaps would've liked it if I read it when I was around Greg's age, which I do realise is the target audience, but... no. I might've found it funny because it's filled with exactly those things you're supposed to find funny - but that just makes me feel even more outsider-ish. Which is weird, because Greg is definitely the outsider. The humor is definitely not... the majority's.

I've read that Greg is more of an antagonist in this one but becomes more of a protagonist in the next book and so on, but I still don't really see his antagonism being viewed as such - not even by the author, which you know, is kind of vital for him to be seen that way. I men, yes, some characters counter him when he's in the wrong but there's a lot of stuff going on, from multiple characters, that are left unchallenged and I just.... why? It just makes me worry about all the kids reading that because frankly, it's nonsense and sets a weird set of norms. I don't know. It was just... boring. ( )
  autisticluke | Nov 14, 2019 |
"Diary of a Wimpy Kid" written and illustrated by Jeff Kinney is a great coming-of-age journal-style novel that any pre-teen can relate to. I liked this book for many reasons. Not only were the comics on each page comical and keeps the reader engaged, but the characters were so believable and well-developed and readers can relate to at least a few things the main character Greg Heffley experiences throughout the book. It is in first person point of view in the eyes of Greg and he describes what happens in his so-called "wimpy" life, things like what it is like to be the middle child, navigating the sixth grade, and being best friends with the most unpopular kid in school all while trying to make a name for himself. "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" is a great book that keeps students constantly engaged and urging to see what will happen next. ( )
  dgutie5 | Nov 7, 2019 |
Diary of a Wimpy Kid is a wonderful series for young adults. It teaches them the hardship of transitioning into high school and allows them to have an image of what high school will be like. Greg the main character writes in this 'journal' not 'diary' about his experiences in high school and how his goal is to become super popular.
Greg wasn't a popular kid in middle school because people started a so called 'rumor' about him having this 'cheese touch' which kept people from being friends with him besides for his best friend Rowley. Greg and Rowley go through high school together and show the readers the meaning of friendship.
This book is meant for children between the ages of 7-9 and between the grades of 2nd-4th. ( )
  Awechs1 | Oct 23, 2019 |
Opinion:
This book is a funny good fiction story. I believe was a funny relatable story. I can relate because so many of the stuff that happens in the book happened to me at some point in middle school. He was kind of a not popular kid but he thought that he was a popular and since he thought that he always thought he was better than Rowley even though he wasn't.

Summary:
Diary of a wimpy kid starts off with Greg speaking about how he asked his mom to get him a notebook and ended up getting him a diary. It then transitions into him talking about everyone and about how he doesn't like school. Greg than starts talking about his family being a little weird. Then he begins talking about how his best friend Rowley didn't have friends so he said he took him under his wing. The book ends with him just trying to make it through middle school quickly and fun. ( )
  BPerata.ELA2 | Oct 21, 2019 |
Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Diary of a Wimpy Kid is about a kid named Gregg Hefley and is friend Rowley Jefferson. The two boys or teenagers as they like to say are in middle school. Basically the first book is about them going tricker treating and they were chased by some mean high school kids. So they run into their grammas house and hide while there grandma isn't there. But Rowley let out a big secret and told them that the teenagers that Greggs grandma wasn't there. The teenagers waited and waited until they came and accidently scratch there truck. The kids managed to escape and ran off. But the teenagers went there school and made them eat the cheese. The cheese was a highly nasty thing. It goes on from generation to generation that if you touched the cheese that you would have the cheese touch! The teenagers made Rowley eat it. Rowley ate it and then a whole swarm of people came by. But Gregg was a good friend and said that he ate it.

added by Dawson.dbes1541 | editgermany, beshears.dawson (Oct 27, 2011)

Unusual, Funny.

The author shows good words, punctiation and very funny lines..
added by tylermurray | editSaint John, Canada, Tyler Murray

Jeff Kinneyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ocampo, Ramon deNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soares, Antonio de MacedoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Para mamãe, papai, Re, Scott e Patrick
To Mom, Dad, Re, Scott, and Patrick
Em primeiro lugar, quero esclarecer uma coisa: isto é um LIVRO DE MEMÓRIAS, não um diário.
First of all, let me get something straight: This is a JOURNAL, not a diary.
Let me just say for the record that I think middle school is the dumbest idea ever invented. You got kids like me who haven't hit their growth spurt yet mixed in with these gorillas who need to shave twice a day. And then they wonder why bullying is such a big problem in middle school.
The Latin translation of this book (Commentarii de Inepto Puero) should NOT be combined with the main work (Diary of a Wimpy Kid), under the "dead languages" exception in the combining rules.

This book is presented in diary form and is packed with humor that both kids and adults will enjoy and find appropriate. It is a great way to get the hesitant reader excited about books!

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 014330383X, 0670074926

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,602,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible