Better Than Good (Better Than Stories Book…

Better Than Good (Better Than Stories Book 1) (edition 2019)

by Lane Hayes (Author)

A Better Than Story Matt Sullivan understands labels: law student, athlete, heterosexual. He has goals: graduate and begin his career in law. One fateful night, Matt tags along with his gay roommate to a dance club and everything changes. Matt finds himself attracted to the most beautiful man he's ever seen. All labels go flying out the window. Aaron Mendez doesn't believe in labels, and he's leery of straight curious men. He makes it clear that he'll hide his fabulous light for no one. While Aaron can't deny the attraction between him and Matt, he is reluctant to start anything with someone who is still dealing with what this new label means?especially when that someone has a girlfriend. Winner in the 2013 Rainbow Awards. Sixth: Best Gay Debut Tenth: Best Gay Contemporary Romance (William Neale Award)… (more)
Member:blueSwordlily
Title:Better Than Good (Better Than Stories Book 1)
Authors:Lane Hayes (Author)
Info:(2019), Edition: 2, 220 pages

Better Than Good by Lane Hayes (Author)

My first ever audiobook. Gotta say it was pretty weird at first. Especially the sexy scenes. But to sum it up: I love the narrators voice, he could easily switch between characters, and it was believable. Now about the book: it was pretty average in my opinion, not sure I would remember it in a couple of weeks. ( )
  Gabi90 | Apr 18, 2021 |
DNF @55%

I just can't do it. I thought I could, but what is the point of forcing myself to finish a book when at 55% I STILL dislike what I'm reading.

I don't know that I ever got over the fact that Matt cheated at the beginning of the book. I don't care how many times he described his relationship with his girlfriend as being casual, the fact remained that they were supposed to be in an exclusive relationship and yes, blow jobs count as cheating.

And don't even get me started on how often he waxed poetically about how beautiful what's-his-face was...yeah, I can't even remember the other MC's name. And as long as I'm being bitchy, I'll also add how fucking annoyed I got every time he used the word "smitten." Oh, oh! I almost forgot! This, honestly, is one of my big Romance Novel Pet Peeves: the description of someone's cock as being his "swollen member." Seriously? Sounds like a visit to the urologist is in order.

No stars, though that's just me being generous. I can't imagine the last half got any better but what do I know? The book does have a pretty good rating, which really floors me.

AddictedReader28 | Oct 19, 2017 |
That of Matt and Aaron was a typically gay for you story if not for the attitude of Matt, that was realistically in line with what I was expecting to be a bisexual character, so much that I anticipated Matt’s turning point decision moment, when he consciously accepts he is in love with a man: Matt is equally attracted by women and men, but, as he says, and as I anticipated, it’s more convenient, and easy, to date women; no one questions you if you are heterosexual, and while sex is still sex, there is basically no need to complicate his life. Please remember Matt is a very young, still a college student, his life is an open road in front of him, no life changing decisions have ever been taken. Then Matt meets Aaron, and, even if not immediately, this time is love. Matt doesn’t deny he is immediately attracted by Aaron, and I appreciated that he wants to give it a try; yes, a try cause there is no denying that an homosexual relationship will be more complicated than an heterosexual one; but I have the feeling Matt was more scared by the fact this story could be serious, than the fact Aaron was a man.

Nice slow development of the love story between Matt and Aaron, and that also includes, and allows, Matt leaving his girlfriend before starting anything serious with Aaron, another thing that I liked, in a way Matt was giving to Aaron the respect he deserved as a prospect partner, doesn’t matter the gender.

Good cast of supporting characters, in particular Jay and Peter, whose story I wouldn’t mind to read. But also Matt’s roommates/friends, with their apparently careless attitude towards life that was instead a real caring for their friend’s well-being.

elisa.rolle | Jan 12, 2014 |
4.25 stars

Will there be a follow up? ( )
  mearias | Sep 23, 2013 |
I really enjoyed this book. I can't help it, I enjoy the "gay for you" story. Although to be fair, this is not exactly "gay for you".

Sweet and fairly fluffy read. ( )
  Bea_writer | Sep 21, 2013 |

Hayes, LaneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, TylerNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,401,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible