Jane Austen's England by Roy Adkins

Jane Austen's England (2013)

by Roy Adkins, Lesley Adkins

Nearly two centuries after her death, Jane Austen remains the most beloved of novelists in the English language, incomparable in the wit, warmth and insight with which she chronicles the wayward hearts of her unforgettable characters. Her work also offers a vivid depiction of rural life in late Georgian and Regency England, its country balls and ivy-covered vicarages, its social hierarchies and its anxieties about property and income. Yet the milieu Austen depicted is only one aspect of her era. For 29 of her 41 years the country was embroiled in war. Dramatic changes in industry and agriculture were transforming the country's physical and social landscape. This book offers a new view of her world in a wide-ranging and detailed social history of English life in the early nineteenth century, from weddings to childbearing, from education to fashion, from labor to leisure and finally to the rituals of death.--From publisher description.… (more)

Travel back in time with this social history of the Georgian era. Learn about the everyday life of the average Austenite. Excerpts from Jane’s personal writings are also included.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Sep 13, 2016 |
This is some dense writing, chock full of interesting materials. It is me failing in the exchange, as I can't seem to summon the focus needed. Perhaps in the winter months I will try again...
  2wonderY | Aug 18, 2015 |
Good as reference for your research, in your writing of historical novels, etc. of Jane Austen time in England. I like that it gives so many quotes from things written at the time. It also provides interesting bits of domestic information--how everyday people lived, what they thought, how they dealt with things. Don't need another book about politics or war, but the domestic information could certainly show up in a novel somewhere. ( )
  Dotland101 | Jul 21, 2014 |
I am so glad that I happened to see that one of the people that I was following on BookLikes was reading this book. I am a big fan of Jane Austen and I knew that once I saw this book I wouldn't be happy until I read it. This book describes life in England during Jane Austen's time (the late 18th century and early 19th century). While I love Jane Austen, I was glad that this didn't just focus on her but discussed what life was like for everyone during those times. The book does mention certain people (William Holland, James Woodforde, Nelly Weeton, and others) that lived during that time who wrote letters or kept diaries and readers get to know them throughout the chapters but it also describes what life would be like in general.

This book is organized in chapters that discuss different topics of life (and death) during the time period. I enjoyed the chapters on marriage, and childbirth the most. Some of the wedding traditions seem downright strange, like a bride getting married naked so that her debts don't attach to her husband. I was amazed to read one announcement from a newspaper talking about a woman who had just had her thirty-second child. That poor, poor woman. Another thing I learned was that when a person was going out to conduct important business it was lucky to throw and old show after them. Someone remind me when I start interviewing for a paralegal position to have my sister throw old shoes at me.

I would recommend that not only fans of Jane Austen read this but also anyone interested in learning more about what life was like during the late 18th century and early 19th century in England. ( )
  dpappas | Oct 29, 2013 |

Roy Adkinsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Adkins, Lesleymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Cline, SarahCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gilkes, JohnCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Anne and David Barclay For their friendship, support and encouragement
(Introduction) The place is an austere, wartime England.
On a bitterly cold Norfolk morning in January 1787, Parson James Woodforde left the comfort of his rectory at Weston Longville and rode on horseback over a mile and a half along a muddy lane until he reached the imposing church of St Peter in the village of Ringland.
"First published in England as Eavesdropping on Jane Austen's England by Little, Brown" T.p. verso

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,763,964 books! | Top bar: Always visible