Walking with God through Pain and Suffering…

Walking with God through Pain and Suffering (edition 2015)

by Timothy Keller (Author)

The problem of pain is a perennial one; and for those who undergo particular sufferings it can often be the largest obstacle for trusting in a good and loving God. If such a God exists, why is there so much suffering in the world? And how do we deal with it when it comes into our lives? In his fullest and most passionately argued book since 2008's bestseller The Reason For God, New York pastor and church planter Tim Keller brings his authoritative teaching, sensitivity to contemporary culture and pastoral heart to this pressing question, offering no easy answers but giving guidance, encouragement and inspiration.… (more)
Member:Kirk1810
Title:Walking with God through Pain and Suffering
Authors:Timothy Keller (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2015), Edition: Reprint, 384 pages
Collections:The Nature Of God, Christian Growth / Discipleship
Rating:*****

Walking with God through Pain and Suffering by Timothy Keller

Introduction : the rumble of panic beneath everything -- PART I : UNDERSTANDING THE FURNACE -- The cultures of suffering -- The victory of Christianity -- The challenge to the secular -- The problem of evil. PART II : FACING THE FURNACE -- The challenge to faith -- The sovereignty of God -- The suffering of God -- The reason for suffering -- Learning to walk -- The varieties of suffering. PART III : WALKING WITH GOD IN THE FURNACE -- Walking -- Weeping -- Trusting -- Praying -- Thinking, thanking, loving -- Hoping.
  staylorlib | Aug 8, 2019 |
Best Books on pain and suffering I've read. ( )
  broreb | Sep 14, 2017 |

A first I didn't want to read this book. I have a prejudice against trendy-looking mega-church pastors, and Tim Keller sort of fits the stereotype, with his shaved head and earring. I was expecting some well worn Christian cliches, lots of Bible verses and little new in terms of insights and wisdom. Boy was I wrong. This was no hyped up how-to book. Walking with God through Pain and Suffering was a philosophical book of sorts, with sound reasoning, logic and grounded theology. I found myself highlighting a lot of sentences and entire paragraphs.

Here are some quotes that resonated with me:

We are so instinctively and profoundly self-centered that we don't believe we are.

The 'rage' at the dying of light' is our intuition that we were not meant for mortality, for the loss of love, or for the triumph of darkness. In order to help people face death and grief we often tell people that death is a perfectly natural part of life. But that asks them to repress a very right and profound human intuition- that we were not meant to simply go to dust.

Almost no one grows into greatness or finds God without suffering, without pain coming into our lives, like smelling salts to wake us up to all sorts of facts about life and our own hearts to which we were blind.

There were many other passages that were compelling. .. This is a book to hold onto, to read and to re-read, as an invaluable resource. For sufferers, people who work with sufferers and people who live with sufferers. And so it is for everyone.

Just started this book, and so far I'm thrilled. It starts off w/a synopsis of different cultures' ways of dealing with suffering. Fascinates me to read how other peoples handle things.... how they understand the world and their purpose in it. We Westerners think our ways are the best. Lots of philosophical insights here. Looking forward to reading this one. ( )
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
This is a wonderful and very helpful book. We will all undergo some sort of pain and suffering. And if we aren't, someone we love will be. We can not escape evil. The question is - how do we deal with that. This book talks about our current culture, which seeks to avoid or minimize or medicate, and does nothing to help deal with it. Christianity has abundant tools to help endure and even grow during pain and suffering. Why do we not use these tools? Keller constantly has a wonderful Gospel message of what Jesus has done for us and how we can be certain of this good news. I believe the last third of the book would be enormously helpful for someone currently going through pain and suffering and grief. Other parts of the book are more theological and, while helpful, the last third is specifically tools to help now. I believe unresolved grief as well as a failure to deal with pain and suffering is a great issue in our culture today and many have turned their backs on what can help. Keller is always good. ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
Summary:
  CGSLibrary | Sep 3, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,117,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible