Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition by Bryan…

Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition (original 1990; edition 2010)

by Bryan Peterson

Member:mathgeek
Title:Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition
Authors:Bryan Peterson
Info:Amphoto Books (2010), Edition: 3rd, Kindle Edition, 176 pages

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson (1990)

Recently added byk_legacy, private library, habs247, HarlandH, VintiqueBooks, YihangYang, frogmore

One of the shortest and best photography books i have ever read. I lend it to people all the time, because it so simply states the relationship between exposure, aperature and shutter and explains how to get the best result in bad lighting situations without a complicated light meter. ( )
  aliciadana | Jun 16, 2017 |
I'm putting this onto my "read" shelf, but I don't think I'll ever be done reading it. Somehow he makes all the confusing exposure stuff make sense. It's brilliant, really... He opened my eyes to a whole different kind of art, and helped me to see photography very differently. If I ever make a lot of money off my work, I'll have Bryan Peterson to thank... ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
This was recommended to me in an online photography course I'm taking. Very clear explanations of the "triangle" of exposure (aperture, shutter speed, ISO) and how to use them together (along with light and metering) to get not just correct but also creative photos. Offers occasional exercises as well as explanations of the included photos.

So far, very useful, helpful, inspiring. ( )
  Jujunna | Jul 25, 2014 |
Before cameras became automated, photographers needed to understand their camera's controls, and the way they interacted, in order to take pictures with any pretense to sophistication. While modern cameras offer programs which can control these interactions, many photographers would benefit by investing a few hours in this book.

This is not exactly a beginner's text. The expected reader has some familiarity with photography and wants to better understand and master their camera. Advanced users may find the book useful as a review, and may find a tip or two they'd not previously seen, but may find some of the explanations annoying. That's OK, as they're not the intended audience.

This book does not get into great technical detail, but does explain the controls and their relationships, and makes suggestions about ways the photographer can benefit from their interactions. The author advocates a specific photographic manner (style, perhaps, is too strong a word) which readers can use for a practical foundation until they develop their own habits and preferences.

Finally: The author assumes your camera gives you full manual control of exposure--that you can set ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. If you own a camera which doesn't give you that much control, you may find this book frustrating.

This review is also available on a dabbler's journal. ( )
  joeldinda | Jan 17, 2012 |
Excellent book. Many practical tips and advice ( )
  rschrick | Jan 17, 2011 |

More than 100 vivid, graphic comparison pictures illustrate every point in this revised classic and can help any photographer maximize the creative impact of his or her exposure decisions. Peterson stresses the importance of metering the subject for a starting exposure, and then explains how to use various exposure meters and different kinds of lighting. The book contains lessons on each element of the exposure-aperature, shutter speed, iso-and how it relates to the other two in terms of depth of field, freezing and blurring action, and shooting in low light or at night. A section on special techniques explores such options as deliberate under- and overexposures, how to produce double exposures, bracketing, shooting the moon, and the use of filters. Understanding Exposure demonstrates that there are always creative choices about how to expose a picture-and that the decision is up to the photographer, not the camera.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:54 -0400)

Bryan Peterson tackles exposure. This new & updated edition starts with the importance of properly metering the subject for a starting exposure & explains how photographers can develop their knowledge & expertise of using different exposures to create impressive photographs & effects.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,607,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible