The Library Book: The Story of Libraries…

The Library Book: The Story of Libraries from Camels to Computers

by Maureen Sawa

Only pages 26-31 are about World of Islam. Accurate but short.
  fadeledu | Dec 13, 2013 |
I didn't know anything about where libraries came from so this book was interesting. My only qualm was that I found it a little hard to follow. I don't know my history and so all the names and places mentioned got me a little mixed up. I couldn't keep them straight. I think someone who knows their world history would have done better with that.

However I learned a lot of interesting things about early books as well as libraries. The illustrations are good and fit well with the book. ( )
  callista83 | Sep 19, 2008 |

Everyone who has a library card (and those who don’t will want one after reading this book) will love this fascinating account of how libraries have evolved. From camels delivering books in Kenya to information compression today, this is a book that’s long overdue!

Award-winning librarian Maureen Sawa takes readers on a breathless ride from the origins of libraries to the first bookshelves, from pack-horse librarians in Kentucky to the revolution that was vertical shelving. She presents familiar library heroes like Gutenberg and Benjamin Franklin and the more obscure ones, such as Hypatia, the great female librarian of Alexandria killed by a mob for opposing the teachings of Plato, and Vizier Abdul Kasem Ismail, the Persian bibliophile who traveled with forty camels carrying 117,000 books in alphabetical order.

Libraries, past, present, and future, have a history as fascinating as the books they house. A must-have for every reader!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:44 -0400)

From ancient libraries of clay and stone to modern libraries floating in cyberspace, this is the story of how we've collected knowledge and shared it with others.

Tundra Books

An edition of this book was published by Tundra Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,976,697 books! | Top bar: Always visible