Veronica Mars: An Original Mystery by Rob…

Veronica Mars: An Original Mystery by Rob Thomas - The Thousand-Dollar Tan… (edition 2014)

by Rob Thomas (Author)

Series: Veronica Mars (Book 1)

The first book in an original mystery series featuring twenty-eight-year-old Veronica Mars, back in action after the events of Veronica Mars: The Movie. With the help of old friends--Logan Echolls, Mac Mackenzie, Wallace Fennel, and even Dick Casablancas--Veronica is ready to take on Neptune's darkest cases with her trademark sass and smarts.… (more)
Member:allip700
Title:Veronica Mars: An Original Mystery by Rob Thomas - The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line
Authors:Rob Thomas (Author)
Info:Vintage (2014), Edition: Media tie-in, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Work Information

The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line by Rob Thomas

Bad Kitty by Michele Jaffe (superant)
    superant: detective sleuth young woman

Last summer I stumbled across the old TV show Veronica Mars and fell in love with it. Veronica is cool, and the early episodes featured her as the ultra-creative High School Private Eye doing work that was light and fun. It was a unique slant to have a high school character be a PI. When this book went on sale at Amazon I wanted to keep Veronica going so I bought it.

It's a good book, but having been spoiled by the tv show, I feel this book is a second run. Veronica the character is 10 years older now, having completed college and law school, so her cases now match her maturity level, which is to say adult. One can't help comparing Veronica to the tried and true gumshoes, Kinsey Milhone and Smilla Jasperson come to mind, among others. Veronica falls short, now that she has lost the unique slant of her youth as a PI.

I felt the plot contained a red herring that was dwelt on for too long, making it a major plot point instead of a red herring. the end was extremely rushed. The secondary characters were ghosts of their former selves.

It kept me interested and I read to the end, but I'm not buying the next book in the series. ( )
  elizabethprata | Dec 24, 2021 |
I thought this one was going off the rails after Veronica's mom arrived on the scene, but they handled it fairly well. I think the story would've worked just fine with strangers. You only would've missed a few melodramatic scenes, but tbh they weren't that great anyway. ( )
  austinburns | Dec 16, 2021 |
If you have any love for Veronica Mars (as all humans should) then do yourself a favor and pick this up. It's a solid continuation of the movie and world of Vmars, and the story is well written and very Veronica-y. ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
For a TV tie-in to a show that was cancelled almost a decade ago, this was pretty darned good. I loved Rob Thomas as an author way before Veronica Mars, and was delighted to see him as a co-writer. I'm not sure the book always captured the characters, especially Veronica's whip smart wit. But there was some good plot continuation that answered questions the series left us with. All in all, worth the time of any VM superfan. I hope they write another one! ( )
  readingjag | Nov 29, 2021 |
"Hi, Wallace. Why are you delivering urchins to our door?"
"Because I'm a helpful guy. Veronica Mars says she needs boots on the ground, I find her some boots." ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Nov 24, 2021 |

Thomas, Robprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Graham, Jennifermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Bell, KristenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Veronica Mars (Book 1)
For all the Veronica Mars Kickstarter backers. You're like the people who clapped loud enough to bring Tinker Bell back from the dead. Except instead of clapping, you sent money. And instead of a tiny blond fairy, you resurrected a tiny blond detective.
The buses began to roll into Neptune, California, late Friday afternoon and didn't slow up until Monday.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,221,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible