HomeGroupsTalkExplore

Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch) by Ann…

Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch) (edition 2013)

by Ann Leckie (Author)

Series: Imperial Radch (1)

5,1803371,779 (4)1 / 558
Now isolated in a single frail human body, Breq, an artificial intelligence that used to control of a massive starship and its crew of soldiers, tries to adjust to her new humanity while seeking vengeance and answers to her questions.
Member:evareads
Title:Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch)
Authors:Ann Leckie (Author)
Info:Orbit (2013), Edition: Later Printing, 416 pages
Tags:science fiction

Work Information

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie

Recently added byprivate library, JudyGibson, GigasCodex, fuzzi, RhiannonInc, mrdan, tabemono, chris-hanson, CriticalHit
    The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (lquilter)
    lquilter: Fans of either Le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness or Leckie's Ancillary Justice should enjoy the other. In common, the pacing, character-centered perspective obscuring aspects of the universe, political machinations, far-future setting, and treatment of ethics; also interesting for its simultaneous foregrounding and backgrounding of gender.… (more)
    All Systems Red by Martha Wells (chlorine)
    chlorine: Main protagonists are at least somewhat AI, and both books have a neutral take on gender.
    Ghost Spin by Chris Moriarty (libron)
    libron: Ancillary Justice is great - but for a nuanced, riveting treatment of AI, Moriarty has her beat, hands down. I hope to see more rigorous explorations in future of what Leckie has limned in her first outing.
    A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Both books feature complex, political space sci-fi with amazing characters and world-building.
    Foreigner by C. J. Cherryh (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Leckie has said that Cherryh's Foreigner books were a big influence on Ancillary Justice and sequels
    Ring of Swords by Eleanor Arnason (libron)
    libron: Arnason's depiction of an alternative (alien) gender/social structure is awesome. I hope Leckie can flesh her own ideas out further beyond pronoun ambiguity in forthcoming books.
    Embassytown by China Miéville (electronicmemory)
    A Fire upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (electronicmemory)
    Fool's War by Sarah Zettel (Dilara86)
    Dilara86: Sentient AIs and spaceships
    The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are optimistic space operas that focus on the characters and their relationships.
    The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Utterly different in tone, this also features the "mind" of a ship and the people she interacts with.
    A Matter of Oaths by Helen S. Wright (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Some of the dynamics in Leckie's Ancillary Justice remind me of the much more obscure single-volume space opera Wright's A Matter of Oaths about two warring immortal emperors and a protagonist with a mysterious connection to them- if you like one, you may like the other.… (more)
    Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee (souloftherose)
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (g33kgrrl)
    Shards of Earth by Adrian Tchaikovsky (aulandez)
    Hexwood by Diana Wynne Jones (CelestiaJK)
    CelestiaJK: Both have interesting AI themes and a great understanding of human nature.
    Lock In by John Scalzi (sturlington)
    The Lazarus War: Artefact by Jamie Sawyer (dClauzel)
    Worlds of Exile and Illusion: Three Complete Novels of the Hainish Series in One Volume--Rocannon's World; Planet of Exile; City of Illusions by Ursula K. Le Guin (sturlington)

English (340)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (342)
I enjoyed this book very much. The story was good but what interested me most was the deft handling of the concept of self: both the consciousness of a person/ship with multiple bodies and the social awareness (or not) of gender. ( )
  JudyGibson | Jan 26, 2023 |
Good sci-fi book with an interesting premise. Enjoyed it. ( )
  bangerlm | Jan 17, 2023 |
Totally awesome. I kind of can't form coherent thoughts right now so I may come back and write a proper review. It's sufficient to say that this is an ambitious novel that should have felt cluttered but managed to be interesting even when it was flirting with too much.

Some thoughts: the ancillaries are both amazing and scary; that the Radch are basically gender-neutral and have no space in their language to account for gendered pronouns is awesome; I would like a friend who is also a spaceship with a penchant for singing.

ETA: I started reading [b: Ancillary Mercy|23533039|Ancillary Mercy (Imperial Radch #3)|Ann Leckie|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1493642929s/23533039.jpg|43134689] and realized I had no idea what was going on anymore, and so decided a reread of this and [b: Ancillary Sword|20706284|Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch, #2)|Ann Leckie|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1413464739s/20706284.jpg|40026175] were in order. And this book, as much as I loved it the first time, improves upon further acquaintance.

Even though I struggled fully as much with the single-gender pronouning (seriously, it took ages for me to settle back into "It doesn't matter! No one is described beyond maybe skin color and hair color!! Do I really need to know?), the story is still so engaging. That it manages to be both broad in scope and very personal is pretty impressive. ( )
  wonderlande | Jan 1, 2023 |
The plot got unnecesarily complicated towards the end, and the undying lover felt absurdly forced. Also while I understand the explanation for only using one gender of pronouns, it made parts way more confusing when you could not tell who was doing what. That said, the concept for the character is neat even if the backstory on the whole world needed more ( )
  martialalex92 | Dec 10, 2022 |
Ancillary Justice - Ann Leckie

This book requires you to really pay attention if you wish to have any hope of keeping up.

The narrator is basically what remains of a millenium old star ship AI. The ship AI's have soldiers, which are basically stolen humans from annexed cultures commandeered by the ships to use as avatars (or rather, ancillaries). Our narrator is one such ancillary, the only one that remains after the destruction of the ship itself, and the rest of the ship's ancillaries.

The world the story takes place in is a far future space empire ruled by a person who also happens to have around a thousand ancillaries herself. The empire explands by annexing any and all other cultures in it's wake, and it does it by rather brutal means. In recent years the pace of expansion has slowed, but not stopped. The annexed peoples are viewed as lesser (uncivilised) and bigotry is a built in feature for the ruling classes.

As the empire is very vast, it also has a lot of different languages that reflect the different cultures. A large linguistic (as well as cultural) element is gender. Our narrator being an AI in a human body, she doesn't really recognize gender. She knows they exits, but consistently makes mistakes in addressing people correctly (and this is one of the biggest tells she has for being an ancillary). The book uses the feminine default for all gendered words, and her inability to use the proper pronouns/addresses/words when speaking gendered languages is underlined on several occasions. This doesn't have much larger effect plotwise, but it's an interesting thing to note, reading this book in English. (I wonder how confusing this would have been to read translated into Finnish, which also doesn't have gender specific pronouns).

The plot is essentially a slow revenge story, the point of which is to introduce the reader to this vast world and to lay the groundwork for the sequels where the broader story will presumambly take place. The plot in this one is secondary, and mainly used to make the reader understand what the scope of the whole thing is, and I for one am very interested to find out what happens next. ( )
  tuusannuuska | Dec 1, 2022 |

Kempen, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nunez, BillyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For my parents, Mary P. and David N. Dietzler, who didn't live to see this book but were always sure it would exist.
The body lay naked and facedown, a deathly gray, spatters of blood staining the snow around it.
Surely it isn't illegal here to complain about young people these days? How cruel. I had thought it a basic part of human nature, one of the few universally practiced human customs.

On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest. Once, she was the Justice of Toren - a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy. Now, an act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with one fragile human body, unanswered questions, and a burning desire for vengeance. - Goodreads.com
It's alive... or dead.
A.I. or human? Who cares!
She, or he, is BREQ!
(pickupsticks)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ann Leckie's book Ancillary Justice was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,777,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible