Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch) by Ann…

Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch) (edition 2013)

by Ann Leckie (Author)

Series: Imperial Radch (1)

4,5663161,905 (4)1 / 530
Now isolated in a single frail human body, Breq, an artificial intelligence that used to control of a massive starship and its crew of soldiers, tries to adjust to her new humanity while seeking vengeance and answers to her questions.
Member:evareads
Title:Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch)
Authors:Ann Leckie (Author)
Info:Orbit (2013), Edition: Later Printing, 416 pages
Tags:science fiction

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (lquilter)
    lquilter: Fans of either Le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness or Leckie's Ancillary Justice should enjoy the other. In common, the pacing, character-centered perspective obscuring aspects of the universe, political machinations, far-future setting, and treatment of ethics; also interesting for its simultaneous foregrounding and backgrounding of gender.… (more)
    All Systems Red by Martha Wells (chlorine)
    chlorine: Main protagonists are at least somewhat AI, and both books have a neutral take on gender.
    A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Both books feature complex, political space sci-fi with amazing characters and world-building.
    Ghost Spin by Chris Moriarty (libron)
    libron: Ancillary Justice is great - but for a nuanced, riveting treatment of AI, Moriarty has her beat, hands down. I hope to see more rigorous explorations in future of what Leckie has limned in her first outing.
    Foreigner by C. J. Cherryh (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Leckie has said that Cherryh's Foreigner books were a big influence on Ancillary Justice and sequels
    Embassytown by China Miéville (electronicmemory)
    Ring of Swords by Eleanor Arnason (libron)
    libron: Arnason's depiction of an alternative (alien) gender/social structure is awesome. I hope Leckie can flesh her own ideas out further beyond pronoun ambiguity in forthcoming books.
    A Matter of Oaths by Helen S. Wright (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Some of the dynamics in Leckie's Ancillary Justice remind me of the much more obscure single-volume space opera Wright's A Matter of Oaths about two warring immortal emperors and a protagonist with a mysterious connection to them- if you like one, you may like the other.… (more)
    Fool's War by Sarah Zettel (Dilara86)
    Dilara86: Sentient AIs and spaceships
    A Fire upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (electronicmemory)
    The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are optimistic space operas that focus on the characters and their relationships.
    The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Utterly different in tone, this also features the "mind" of a ship and the people she interacts with.
    Hexwood by Diana Wynne Jones (CelestiaJK)
    CelestiaJK: Both have interesting AI themes and a great understanding of human nature.
    Worlds of Exile and Illusion: Three Complete Novels of the Hainish Series in One Volume--Rocannon's World; Planet of Exile; City of Illusions by Ursula K. Le Guin (sturlington)
    Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee (souloftherose)
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (g33kgrrl)
    The Lazarus War: Artefact by Jamie Sawyer (dClauzel)
    Lock In by John Scalzi (sturlington)

English (316)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (318)
Very interesting concepts, with accompanying interesting literary techniques; great social critique; and an excellent opening chapter that really hooked my attention.

But there wasn't quite enough story there, and the pacing was sloggy. So just barely 4 stars.

I will say, I *loved* reading a book where the default pronoun was "she" which meant the default human was a woman. Very restful. ( )
  VictoriaGaile | Oct 16, 2021 |
Read 2014, favourite. ( )
  sasameyuki | Oct 15, 2021 |
It took me a year and I don't know why. Also I cursed a lot and it took me many Google searches to understand the world.

Normally that would be an indication that my reading experience sucked.

It didn't. And I think this is one of those stories that will get better with every re-read.

But fuck you Seivarden I wanted to hate you. SO MUCH. ( )
  Jonesy_now | Sep 24, 2021 |
Really just an incredibly compelling book. While I see why people were thrown a bit by the temporal jumping and pronoun stuff, I thought that the book did a great job of keeping everything clear, and both of those things added immensely to the power and intricacy of the story.

The worldbuilding was fully realized, both terrifyingly different and terrifyingly familiar. I'm glad Leckie didn't feel the need to spell everything out, letting us work out for us the importance and complexities of Radchaii politics, hand-covering, the supplementary gestural language, etc., without needing to expound on their origins. Instead everything arose naturally through Breq's interactions with the world.

The ancillary concept made for a totally unique protagonist, and is one of the best and most original ideas I've ever encountered in a sci-fi novel. Leckie walked a fine line between making Breq's history and experience something totally alien and unimaginable, and making the reader care and feel immensely for her, both as Justice of Toren One Esk and as an individual detached ancillary.

I did find the scenes set in the past more engaging, both because I liked Lt. Awn as a counterpoint character more than Seivarden, and because of the fascinating mechanics of the ancillary experience (especially when Mianaii uses the communication-blocking device.). Chapters 16 and 17 were an incredible payoff to the slow burn of the book's beginning, and were more tense and exciting than any action movie scene I've ever seen.

But Breq as a lone-wolf stoic Byronic hero in the "present-day" scenes was great too, and all the action at the palace made for an exciting back-half of the book, even if the ending definitely sends you running for the sequel. ( )
1 vote misslevel | Sep 22, 2021 |
A really unique sci fi perspective. Really creative choices overall. I'm excited for the next book. ( )
  jamestomasino | Sep 11, 2021 |

Kempen, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nunez, BillyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For my parents, Mary P. and David N. Dietzler, who didn't live to see this book but were always sure it would exist.
The body lay naked and facedown, a deathly gray, spatters of blood staining the snow around it.
Surely it isn't illegal here to complain about young people these days? How cruel. I had thought it a basic part of human nature, one of the few universally practiced human customs.

On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest. Once, she was the Justice of Toren - a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy. Now, an act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with one fragile human body, unanswered questions, and a burning desire for vengeance. - Goodreads.com
It's alive... or dead.
A.I. or human? Who cares!
She, or he, is BREQ!
(pickupsticks)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ann Leckie's book Ancillary Justice was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,323,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible