Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie

Ancillary Justice (edition 2013)

by Ann Leckie (Author)

Series: Imperial Radch (1)

4,3913031,940 (4)1 / 527
Now isolated in a single frail human body, Breq, an artificial intelligence that used to control of a massive starship and its crew of soldiers, tries to adjust to her new humanity while seeking vengeance and answers to her questions.
Member:stevepugh
Title:Ancillary Justice
Authors:Ann Leckie (Author)
Info:
Tags:!ebook

Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie

Recently added byWXC89, WXC789, Arina42, Justin828, wxc777
    The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (lquilter)
    lquilter: Fans of either Le Guin's Left Hand of Darkness or Leckie's Ancillary Justice should enjoy the other. In common, the pacing, character-centered perspective obscuring aspects of the universe, political machinations, far-future setting, and treatment of ethics; also interesting for its simultaneous foregrounding and backgrounding of gender.… (more)
    All Systems Red by Martha Wells (chlorine)
    chlorine: Main protagonists are at least somewhat AI, and both books have a neutral take on gender.
    A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine (g33kgrrl)
    g33kgrrl: Both books feature complex, political space sci-fi with amazing characters and world-building.
    Ghost Spin by Chris Moriarty (libron)
    libron: Ancillary Justice is great - but for a nuanced, riveting treatment of AI, Moriarty has her beat, hands down. I hope to see more rigorous explorations in future of what Leckie has limned in her first outing.
    Foreigner by C. J. Cherryh (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Leckie has said that Cherryh's Foreigner books were a big influence on Ancillary Justice and sequels
    Embassytown by China Miéville (electronicmemory)
    Ring of Swords by Eleanor Arnason (libron)
    libron: Arnason's depiction of an alternative (alien) gender/social structure is awesome. I hope Leckie can flesh her own ideas out further beyond pronoun ambiguity in forthcoming books.
    A Matter of Oaths by Helen S. Wright (sandstone78)
    sandstone78: Some of the dynamics in Leckie's Ancillary Justice remind me of the much more obscure single-volume space opera Wright's A Matter of Oaths about two warring immortal emperors and a protagonist with a mysterious connection to them- if you like one, you may like the other.… (more)
    Fool's War by Sarah Zettel (Dilara86)
    Dilara86: Sentient AIs and spaceships
    A Fire upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge (electronicmemory)
    The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Both are optimistic space operas that focus on the characters and their relationships.
    The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Utterly different in tone, this also features the "mind" of a ship and the people she interacts with.
    Hexwood by Diana Wynne Jones (CelestiaJK)
    CelestiaJK: Both have interesting AI themes and a great understanding of human nature.
    Worlds of Exile and Illusion: Three Complete Novels of the Hainish Series in One Volume--Rocannon's World; Planet of Exile; City of Illusions by Ursula K. Le Guin (sturlington)
    Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee (souloftherose)
    Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (g33kgrrl)
    The Lazarus War: Artefact by Jamie Sawyer (dClauzel)
    Lock In by John Scalzi (sturlington)

English (298)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (300)
A warship AI’s consciousness operates across hundreds of devices and human bodies. Ancillary Justice investigates how this complex consciousness was destroyed, leaving nothing but a single body searching for answers alone on a frozen planet.

Minus a few plot holes, this was an entertaining read. The language makes no gender distinction in pronouns, referring to all as she. IMO putting the burden on the reader to infer gender may only have reinforced the reader's biases on gendered behavior, but it was an interesting feature of the book. ( )
  jiyoungh | May 3, 2021 |
Dynamic and creative. A bright arc of love and anger across the universe. ( )
  rakerman | Apr 29, 2021 |
I am not sold out into this book as so many people seems to be. Maybe it is one of those cases when my expectations of a book were too high and the book itself could not deliver. I struggled between 2 or 3 stars, and decided to be generous because of the author's ability to construct this fantastic universe.

The premises of it seemed interesting enough: a once powerful AI stranded in a human body, trying to revenge and set right the events that got it there. But if this allows for a strong plot line, the writing does not live up to it. The narrative is convoluted and confusing. I had to re-read too many pages, too many times to loosely comprehend certain passages.

Then the characters felt like caricatures, and I could not really develop a strong connection to them.

At the end, maybe it is all my fault and not the book's fault that it did not work for me. I guess I just will have to wait for the film to come out - as I am sure it will - to give this story another try. ( )
  RosanaDR | Apr 15, 2021 |
Excellent book. Well done in terms of considering a culture in which gender is either meaningless or fluid or solely female. In addition, the first part of the book in which the AI, Breq, inhabits multiple flesh and blood bodies which are able to sense all places at the same was both confusing and interesting. It took work on the part of this reader to understand and try and see, hear and smell multiple setting at the same time. I was really impressed by Leckie’s efforts. I wonder if this is sort of what it is like to be a fly with a multifaceted eye or a tree that has multiple suckers spread over a large field? What does it mean to be one entity that has many bodies. And then to have all of those bodies suddenly cut off from each other? This book, his series, is well deserving of all of the accolades it has received. ( )
  Neil_Luvs_Books | Apr 6, 2021 |

Kempen, BernhardTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nunez, BillyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For my parents, Mary P. and David N. Dietzler, who didn't live to see this book but were always sure it would exist.
The body lay naked and facedown, a deathly gray, spatters of blood staining the snow around it.
Surely it isn't illegal here to complain about young people these days? How cruel. I had thought it a basic part of human nature, one of the few universally practiced human customs.

On a remote, icy planet, the soldier known as Breq is drawing closer to completing her quest. Once, she was the Justice of Toren - a colossal starship with an artificial intelligence linking thousands of soldiers in the service of the Radch, the empire that conquered the galaxy. Now, an act of treachery has ripped it all away, leaving her with one fragile human body, unanswered questions, and a burning desire for vengeance. - Goodreads.com
It's alive... or dead.
A.I. or human? Who cares!
She, or he, is BREQ!
(pickupsticks)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ann Leckie's book Ancillary Justice was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Ann Leckie is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,728,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible