The Lost Boy by Greg Ruth

The Lost Boy (edition 2013)

by Greg Ruth (Author)

When Nate finds a tape recorder and note addressed to him in his new home, he is thrust into a dark mystery about a boy who went missing long ago, and must team with local girl Tabitha to uncover the truth.
Member:amiraa
Title:The Lost Boy
Authors:Greg Ruth (Author)
Info:Graphix (2013), 192 pages
Rating:***

The Lost Boy by Greg Ruth

Well now, this was a treat. I've been on a graphic novel reading binge lately and, as much as I love a vibrant panel, the first thing that caught my eye here was the stark black and white inking. This is the story of Nate. Of his move to a new place, of finding a mysterious recorder, and of discovering that there are things out there well beyond what we can imagine. I would have thought that I'd want this story told to me in color. Honestly though? Now that I've read it I can't imagine it any other way.

The art in these panels is stunning. It's crisp, the faces are realistic, and it suits the mood of this story perfectly. While this is a little darker than most YA graphic novels out there, it places one foot firmly in the world of Fantasy. The pages are populated with all manner of both interesting and slightly unnerving characters. The world that Nate finds has quite a different type of soldier. Squirrels, rag dolls, and bugs, they are all pawns in this ongoing battle. It makes this story magical, and slightly eerie.

Highly recommended! I thoroughly enjoyed this. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
3.5 stars. Well darn it. This is some dang awesome art. I was completely hooked -story wise- from page 1. But it was SO rushed. It felt like trying to fit a full length movie into a twenty minute episode. It desperately needs a sequel- and like 5 more of them.
I hope he has one in the making! ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
I loved the concept of this book, but for me it just didn't flow well. I started to get confused by the sequence and ended up putting it down. The art is beautiful and I can see this working for a more patient reader. ( )
  michelleannlib | Jul 25, 2017 |
Lost interest around page 85
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
The Lost Boy by Greg Ruth is a graphic novel about a move to a new town and the discovery of a long lost mystery. Nate and his family are new in town and he's not happy to have been transplanted from his old neighborhood and friends. While unpacking his boxes, he finds an old tape recorder and a note remarkably addressed to him. Those two items lead him on a path of adventure, danger, and revelation.

I'm a sucker for old house mysteries. Old things revealing old stories and creating new adventures is the recipe for a book I can't resist. Add in an element of the supernatural and I'll probably end up reading in one or two sittings.

The Lost Boy does include the supernatural, though what kind of supernatural is left as part of the big mystery. There are shadowy figures, mysterious creatures, a wood that seems to pop up out of nothing. All of these things are tied to the old tapes that Nate feels compelled to listen to.

It was a fun, roller coaster of a book. I think fans of shows like Supernatural or Gravity Falls will enjoy The Lost Boy ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 2, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,913,144 books! | Top bar: Always visible