Helgon eller syndare by Ian Rankin

Helgon eller syndare (edition 2015)

by Ian Rankin, Ulf Gyllenhak

Member:sarams
Title:Helgon eller syndare
Authors:Ian Rankin
Other authors:Ulf Gyllenhak
Info:Stockholm : Forum, 2015
Collections:Read but unowned

Saints of the Shadow Bible by Ian Rankin

English (49)  Spanish (1)  All languages (50)
The 19th one - and still one of his best. I'm impressed. I've been thinking about a few of his themes: aging, alcohol, violence. This will take some mulling but it is not a grim book. Why not? It's a story of friendship and it's influence on us.

Or perhaps, as he writes on pg.386, "The good guys are never all good and the bad ones never all bad." He offered a shrug. "I know that's not exactly news. But there's a place where the two meet and that's when it can get interesting. It's like we're all standing on the same carpet, without bothering to look down at the pattern."

p.s. I mulled this book for a couple of days and came back to change 4 stars to a rare 5.
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |
The good guys are never all good and the bad guys are never all bad. This takes the reader back to Rebus's rookie days when he belonged to a group of cops that were known as "The Saints" and they swore allegiance on something called the Shadow Bible. From there the story goes back and forth from the past to the present. The book starts slowly and takes some time to get warmed up. It's in the days when there was little forensic science so DNA wasn't a big factor in solving a case. Readers can see how John Rebus developed into the case-solver that he is today while struggling to be a part of the team. Another good read. ( )
  Carol420 | Dec 7, 2018 |
Plus a bit more star for being a good escape from some day to day stuff. I'm not sure if the plot was chock full of coincidence but the wool was pulled over my eyes - or whether Edinburgh is still a small town and connections are inevitable. And I did lose track at times but then all the characters are much cleverer than me and much better at their jobs than I am. Which is not surprising as I am not a police detective! ( )
  Ma_Washigeri | May 27, 2018 |
I put off reading this book because I knew Rankin was taking a break and I wanted to make the wait for the next one not quite as long.

I love Rebus and Malcolm and hope this is not their last time together. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
3.5 stars. Bit of a slow start but then really good. Rebus & Fox working together. ( )
  Siubhan | Feb 28, 2018 |
The saints of the shadow bible following me
From bar to bar into eternity...
Jacki Leven, 'One Man, One Guitar'
Where are we going?

Reinstated on the force, demoted, and wearing a chip on his shoulder, Rebus reteams with internal affairs officer, Malcolm Fox, to solve a cold case from 30 years ago in the 19th book in the Rebus series and the third one featuring Fox.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,299,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible