Certain Justice-Csd by P. D. James

Certain Justice-Csd (original 1997; edition 1997)

by P. D. James (Author)

Series: Adam Dalgliesh (10)

A British woman lawyer is murdered soon after successfully defending her client who was on trial for murder. As he opens an investigation, Commander Dalgliesh of New Scotland Yard learns the man recently became engaged to the lawyer's daughter. Is there a connection? By the author of Original Sin.
Member:VittTheSinger
Title:Certain Justice-Csd
Authors:P. D. James (Author)
Info:Faber & Faber (1997), Edition: 1st Edition, 400 pages

Work Information

A Certain Justice by P. D. James (1997)

English (32)  Danish (1)  German (1)  All languages (34)
PD James certainly captures the complexities of human relationships in this book. ( )
  Vividrogers | Dec 20, 2020 |
I am sure I read this book before, but i remembered almost none of it. It has been a while since I last read a PD James, so I am more aware than previously. This book has a very subtle theme of women in the workplace and the shifting of gender roles. I wondered if James is lamenting the end of the stay-at-home mother or if she was happy about women taking their earned place in the work force. it was difficult to say. There is a also a theme of the importance of love in a child's life, because both Ashe and Octavia experience a lack of love.
And of course James sneaks in theology and religion in the most neutral of ways, seemingly indifferent. But the message is there, if you are searching. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Nov 22, 2020 |
This book served as my introduction to P.D. James and it certainly lived up to all of the praise for her novels I have read over the years from multiple sources. One of the notable aspects of this novel was that the lead character, at least nominally in a novel that is part of the Adam Dalgliesh series, does not make an appearance until nearly a third of the way through the story.

James does an excellent job with the portraits of all her characters, police as well as suspects and innocent bystanders. She had me coming and going throughout, unable to pinpoint anyone as the prime suspect in this whodunnit. The randomness of human existence is underscored, and the role of coincidence in the plot and the lives of the characters is a major theme. The problems of love and its absence, the nature of evil and the struggle to achieve something worthwhile in life, to hold onto one's place until reaching the finish line will resonate with most people who spend the better part of their lives pursuing success, security, the respect of peers and the love of family.

And in the end the system achieves the certain justice which gives this novel its title and the caution that in human affairs this is sometimes all that can be expected or hoped for. ( )
  citizencane | Sep 9, 2020 |
A Certain Justice was fine for reading with a cold, but I'm not sure I would have had patience to finish it if I'd been healthy. The book is long and detailed but not especially compelling, and most of the many characters are rather thinly drawn. ( )
  LizoksBooks | Dec 15, 2018 |
I too read Asterix comic books that I've read before. The memories of reading them as a child, the familiarity of the characters and the incidents, the dialogue even. Of course, there are lots of reasons why we might want to return to a book. Reading a book again is not just reading it for a second time, it involves a reflexivity: reading your earlier reading of the book (assuming you remember reading it before or if you’ve got a review of that previous reading).

It’s by re-reading certain authors with greater clarity than I have apparently mustered, the very self-conscious act that lies behind the public use of the verb 'to re-read'. Is it related to the fact that to describe someone as well read is a bigger compliment than remarking on how someone has been to a lot of opera or surfed a lot of the internet? Do we measure intellectual merit by number of books read? Is that a good thing? (I imagine for the readers of a books blog, the answer is “Yes”). I don't know. Some people see re-reading as a light-hearted irritating tendency though not life-threatening social trope, sometimes seasoned with a few sharp comments (in some reviews) on how to deflate the braying, boastful re-reader like myself. Of course there are more specific and sophisticated ways of doing that.

The same happens when it comes to P. D. James. When you strip the storyline back to its bare bones, it's as a shock to understand how little there is to it (minimalist comes to mind), but then it's the James storytelling in some of her novels, her ability to make physical descriptions of her characters, and her profound psychological insight into her characters that are important and putting it all together allows James to weave an intricate web narrative-wise. By binging once again on P.D. James I can see right away what separates the truly gifted writer from the merely entertaining one (like Agatha Christie). James (almost) always manages to give me entertainment value while also offering me attention-getting prose that makes me really think about how the characters feel and how events in the plot might actually affect the lives of real people. That’s what distinguishes P. D. James from her Crime Fiction counterparts. Take this as an example: Octavia, one of those adult children who insist on being treated as an adult, but moves in with Mummy and tries to rule her house instead of finding her own, 'You see, the only person who’s in a state about her daughter coming home is you'. Insolent and narcissistic. Some children are difficult to love and even more difficult to like. Detestable. Will Mummy turn out to be the Mummy from hell?

Bottom-line: A gripping book from start to finish. Well, almost. I hated the ending… as far as I can recall, it was the first time Dalgliesh does not close a case successfully. ( )
  antao | May 25, 2018 |

James, P. D.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carson, Carol DevineJacket Illustration and Designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ciocchini, María EugeniaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Seibicke, Christa E.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sekov, TorbenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wit, J.J. deTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my grandchildren with love, Katherine, Thomas, Eleanor, James, and Beatrice
Murderers do not usually give their victims notice.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,091,577 books! | Top bar: Always visible