Verloren wereld by Dennis Lehane

Verloren wereld (original 2015; edition 2015)

by Dennis Lehane, Bert Meelker

Series: Joe Coughlin (3)

"Late spring, 1943. The world is at war but the American mob is in its heyday. Former crime boss Joe Coughlin now works as a consigliere to the infamous Bartolo Crime Family, effortlessly handling its interests in Tampa, Boston, and Cuba. In the decade since he lost his wife in a cascade of bullets, Joe has made a home for himself and his son, and once again forged everything out of nothing: money, power, a relationship with a beautiful woman, and a privileged place in Tampa's shadowy underworld. But a rumor surfaces that someone wants Joe dead. And he has only days to figure out who, or he will die. And then there's the ghost -- a young boy who appears on the fringes of Joe's vision and seems to be trying to tell him something. Racing against time and fate, Joe hurtles through a violent yet intoxicating world on the brink of total collapse or epic triumph, a world on the cusp of reinvention and rebirth -- where the old codes, the old sins, and the old dreams may soon be swept away once and for all"--Back cover.… (more)
Member:WXC77
Title:Verloren wereld
Authors:Dennis Lehane
Other authors:Bert Meelker
Info:Amsterdam Ambo /Anthos cop. 2015

World Gone By by Dennis Lehane (2015)

English (30)  Spanish (3)  French (1)  All languages (34)
The finale to the Joe Coughlin series, which started with The Given Day in 2008 (where Joe was not the main character) and continued in Live By Night in 2012 (where he was.) Joe Coughlin has basically left the mob business and "gone straight,” making decent money in legitimate businesses, but he remains an advisor to the local underworld. His main focus is protecting his young son, and bedding the mayor's wife, but he becomes embroiled in a power play. Frankly, a bit slow and uninteresting. With this one done, perhaps Lehane will provide us with some more Patrick McKenzie and Angie Gennaro, his gritty Boston PI's. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
Most reviews seem to start with a rehash of the plot & since the jacket cover does that, I won't. I didn't read the first two of this series but didn't even realize there were earlier books. There was no feeling of repeating old info or updating the reader, which I really appreciated.

I thoroughly enjoyed the main character, Joe, and the internal battle of reconciling his life with his vision of right and wrong. As a gangster in a life he mostly enjoyed, it was interesting how he rationalized killing that he 'had' to do. Some of the supporting characters were somewhat stereotypical gangster personalities, but not in an obvious way. I liked Joe's relationship with his son and though the little boy wasn't super detailed, he was portrayed well.

There is some graphic violence (it is a gangster story after all), but I don't feel like it was a major part of the story.....just necessary to make the lifestyle believable. I didn't see the end coming, so a surprise ending is appreciated now and then. Recommended for readers who like a "good bad guy" as the main character or a story about gangster days of old. ( )
  Terrie2018 | Feb 21, 2020 |
As a fan of crime fiction and Mafia fiction, this novel really stands out among mobster books I’ve read. I especially enjoy when real life characters are used, and this one was chocked full of them including Myer Lansky and Lucky Luciano among others. The main character in this story is Joe Coughlin. Set during World War 2, Coughlin is no longer the crime boss in Central Florida, although he is acting as the consigliere to the boss while expanding into legitimate business enterprises. Conspiracy is afoot when he hears of a plot to assassinate him, something he is desperately trying to avoid.

The writing is tight in this novel, and the characterization stands out. What makes the characters so strong and Joe in particular is that they did not see themselves as the bad guys. They created their own rules and followed them. They did not see themselves as monsters even though they were gangsters and criminals. As a result, I didn’t see them as monsters either. There are some real memorable characters up and down this novel, starting with Joe but extending to many of the secondary characters. The author successfully breathed life into them and made them real and relatable. The other thing that was exceptionally strong was the plot. There were many twists and turns that happened that I did not see coming and nor did Joe Coughlin. On the downside, I didn’t like the aspect of the book with the ghosts. The ending also fell short of the mark. Otherwise, this was a top notch gangster novel.

Carl Alves - author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | May 26, 2019 |
Not as good as the previous entries in the series, but still a well written conclusion. ( )
  authenticjoy | Mar 29, 2019 |
A bit simpler and smaller than the first two Coughlin stories but Lehane's writing is always pleasurable. I didn't always buy in to the outlaw life that he proposes here. It comes at too high a cost for all involved. I've avoided Lehane's standalone books until now so I don't know when I'll get to read him again. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |

Dennis Lehaneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Schuck, MaryCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stokes, LisaDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
. . . I'm driving a stolen car

On a pitch black night

And I'm telling myself I'm gonna be alright.

--Bruce Springsteen, "Stolen Car"
For Keeks

Of the blue eyes and the billion-dollar smile
Avant d'être décimés par leur petite guerre, ils se rassemblèrent pour soutenir la grande.

The world is at war and the "family" is not far from it. Handsome debonair Joe Coughlin has long been high up in the mob hierarchy and being well established with money and influence in the Florida social scene seems untouchable.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,274,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible