Letters to Nowhere

by Julie Cross

Series: Letters to Nowhere (1)

From the International Bestselling Author of the Tempest seriesA Mature YA contemporary set in the tough world of Elite Gymnastics.Her family may be shattered, but her dreams aren't...Seventeen year old Karen Campbell has just lost both her parents in a tragic car accident. Grief stricken and alone, her gymnastics coach opens his home to Karen, providing her a place to live while she continues to train, working toward a spot on the world championship team.Coach Bentley's only child, seventeen year old Jordan is good-looking and charming enough to scare away a girl like Karen-someone who has spent ten times more hours on balance beams and uneven bars than talking or even thinking about boys. But the two teens share a special connection almost immediately. It turns out Jordan has a tragic past of his own, grief buried for years.As Karen's gymnastics career soars, her nightmares and visions of the horrible accident grow in strength. She can only avoid facing her grief for so long before it begins to surface and ultimately spin out of control in a very dangerous way. Can discovering love and lust (simultaneously) help with the grieving process or will it only provide a temporary distraction while waiting for reality to hit full force?… (more)

I really enjoyed reading this book. I though that it was a great blend of personal growth, emotional drama, and romance.
There were some really great characters and all round it was just a good read. I'd highly recommend it.

For my full review, and rating out of 10, please check out my full review on my website
http://the-book-tower.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/book-review-letters-to-nowhere-by-j... ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
Fun fact about me: sports are super not my thing. The only time I ever watch them is during the Olympics, because I can handle sports-watching about once every two years. Generally, I’m like “Oh, look, he kicked the ball. Clearly, that merits applause.” For all my lack of spirit about sports though, I have an odd attraction to YA novels about less popular sports. Cricket or curling? I would be all over that. I just finished Being Sloane Jacobs with ice hockey and figure skating, and now Letters to Nowhere with gymnastics. Based on the title, I really didn’t know what to make of Letters to Nowhere (frankly I was petrified of some sort of The Lake House scenario), but Cross’ contemporary novel is a sweet story about dealing with grief, building family where you find it, and, of course, gymnastics.

Read the full review at A Reader of Fictions. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Jan 6, 2014 |
Why did this book have to end? ( )
  ames | Sep 30, 2013 |
This is a smart, beautifully written, coming of age story about a young girl who has lived a sheltered life in the world of gymnastics. She's been taking her high school classes on-line, her only friends are the ones from her gym, she's never even talked to a boy. Then suddenly, she finds herself living with her coach and his teenage son. It's great for her so she can stay with her teammates and her coach, but it's weird.
As Karen learns how to live with Jordan, shuddering as he gulps from the milk jug, composing mental letters to him to correct things he might think about her, she also has to learn to live with her coach. He is one man at the gym, her coach, and another at his place (it won't ever be home).

There are a lot of ups and downs. So many emotional hurdles not just for Karen, but there is a surprising emotional scar that Jordan and Coach Bentley are hiding that they too have to face. Karen's hurdles come slowly, but the bandaid gets ripped off the scar with Jordan and Coach Bentley. Julie Cross handles both easily and in a believable way. She interweaves the loss and love with the story of Karen's gymnastic career and the support of her friends and Jordan and even her coach.

I fell for Karen as soon as the story started. She was numb and hardly able to follow what was happening. But she was so refreshingly honest and free of teenage drama. Don't get me wrong, there is some drama, but it's to be expected when she's dealing with the stages of grief. And Jordan, he's funny and vulnerable and honest as well which really endeared him to me. I loved the two of them together. And he does the most amazing things for Karen.

So, when someone shot me an email and asked if I wanted to read Julie Cross' new contemporary, what would you have said?

Thanks to the author for a copy of the novel for review. I was not influenced by this. The opinions expressed are my own. ( )
  hrose2931 | Aug 6, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

Julie Cross is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,250,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible