dismiss

Dog Songs: Poems by Mary Oliver

Dog Songs: Poems

by Mary Oliver

"Beloved by her readers, special to the poet's own heart, Mary Oliver's dog poems offer a special window into her world. Dog Songs collects some of the most cherished poems together with new works, offering a portrait of Oliver's relationship to the companions that have accompanied her daily walks, warmed her home, and inspired her work. To be illustrated with images of the dogs themselves, the subjects will come to colorful life here. These are poems of love and laughter, heartbreak and grief. In these pages we visit with old friends, including Oliver's well-loved Percy, and meet still others. Throughout, the many dogs of Oliver's life emerge as fellow travelers, but also as guides, spirits capable of opening our eyes to the lessons of the moment and the joys of nature and connection. Dog Songs is a testament to the power and depth of the human-animal exchange, from an observer of extraordinary vision"--… (more)
Recently added byEuropa_Erupts, jezzdobbel8610, private library, AnnisquamVL, ElijahHook, qingerqueer, R_B

Too many dogs ( )
  kvschnitzer | Dec 8, 2019 |
Must love dogs. Must love poetry. ( )
  alyssajp | Jul 29, 2019 |
Mary Oliver definitely didn't win the Pulitzer for this collection (and I suspect it only got published because she did), but if you love dogs you'll roll your eyes, forgive the anthropomorphising, and read on. One idea she drives home is that there's no happier sight than a dog off leash and busy. I have to agree with that - the 32 acre dog park near my house is the happiest place on earth for dogs and humans - but definitely not for gophers. ( )
  badube | Mar 6, 2019 |
It seemed as if my dog
was reading along with me
perched behind me on the couch
her head heavy on my shoulder.

"Why are you crying?"
she would ask me.
"Why are you laughing?"

Because, I would say,

This poet understands dogs.
This poet understands words.
This poet understands love. ( )
  foggidawn | Jan 28, 2019 |
She loves dogs, individually and collectively. Lovely homage to our dear doggie friends! ( )
  hemlokgang | Jan 23, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,626,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible