Love Over Scotland by Alexander McCall Smith
1,202316,668 (3.94)58

English (30)  French (1)  All (31)
This series, my favourite from McCall Smith, gently lampoons the residents of Scotland Street, Edinburgh. The characters are delightful caricatures who entertain royally, especially Bertie, the six-year-old prodigy. It's easy to miss the author's considerable expertise amid the droll humour. Very enjoyable. ( )
  VivienneR | Aug 20, 2017 |
As I said before in reference to the 44 Scotland Street series, relaxing, light reading. Just what a person might need in this worrisome 21st century world. ( )
  jack2410 | Feb 2, 2017 |
Loved it ... as with the earlier two in the series, I really didn't want the book to end. I was a little concerned about all the myriad locations & characters ... Domenica in the Malacca Straits, and a new character at 44 Scotland Street, I was worried that I'd be left unsatisfied with some thread or other ... not so.

As always, I come away from his novels with some insight into things he loves, which tweak my curiosity .. one clear example is the oft reference to W.H. Auden .. makes me want to read Auden very much.

just for fun, here are some quotes I enjoyed from the book, or bits/references I might want to look up

"works of Ossian" - James Macpherson ...
"In the scrap between Dr Johnson and Macpherson, I'm on Mcpherson's side," pronounced Domenica. "... All he wanted to do was show that there was Gaelic culture that was capable of great art. And all those dry pendants in London could do was say: where are the manuscripts?"

Angus Lordie being compared to a Graham Greene character:
"He was Graham Greene-ish character, just like that dentist who had run out of gas and went down to the jetty every day to see if the boat would bring him new supplies. Dentists on jetties; whiskey priests; seedy colonial officials; and now a failed portrait painter in the unfashionable end of the Edinburgh New Town. C'est ca! Greeneland."

"... state of frank delight, experiencing for the moment, that thrill which comes when one see, in the flesh, some great icon; as when one walks into the relevant room of the Uffizi and see there, before one, Botticelli's Birth of Venus; or in New York when, from the window of a cab that is indeed painted yellow, driven by a man who is indeed profoundly rude, one sees the approaching skyline of Manhattan; or when, arriving in Venice, one discovers that the streets are subtly different (as was found out by the late Robert Benchley, who then sent a telegram to Harold Ross, the editor of the New Yorker, in the following terms: STREETS FULL OF WATER. PLEASE ADVICE).

Angus:
"I have a lot of time for Lin Yutang," ... "He wrote beautifully about tea and flowers and subjects like that. He said that flowers were offended by loud conversations. One should talk softly in the presence of flowers."
...
"And then there's Michael von Poser's essay, 'Flowers and Ducks', ... Another lovely bit of whimsy." ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
I love this series and the fact that I can take it in little bites (as it was written) or in a great, satisfying meal.
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
  AntT | Jan 24, 2015 |
Pat let her gaze move slowly round the room, over the figures seated at the table in the seminar room. There were ten of them;eleven if one counted Dr Fantouse himself, although he was exactly the sort of person one wouldn't count.

44 SCOTLAND STREET - Book 3

The residents and neighbors of 44 Scotland Street and the city of Edinburgh come to vivid life in these gently satirical, wonderfully perceptive serial novels, featuring six-year-old Bertie, a remarkably precocious boy—just ask his mother.

This just in from Edinburgh: the complicated lives of the denizens of 44 Scotland Street are becoming no simpler. Domenica Macdonald has left for the Malacca Straits to conduct a perilous anthropological study of pirate households. Angus Lordie’s dog, Cyril, has been stolen, and is facing an uncertain future wandering the streets. Bertie, the prodigiously talented six-year-old, is still enduring psychotherapy, but his burden is lightened by a junior orchestra's trip to Paris, where he makes some interesting new friends. Back in Edinburgh, there is romance for Pat with a handsome young man called Wolf, until she begins to see the attractions of the more prosaically named Matthew.

Teeming with McCall Smith’s wonderful wit and charming depictions of Edinburgh, Love Over Scotland is another beautiful ode to a city and its people that continue to fascinate this astounding author.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:37 -0400)

"This just in from Edinburgh: the complicated lives of the denizens of 44 Scotland Street are becoming no simpler. Domenica Macdonald has left for the Malacca Straits to conduct a perilous anthropological study of pirate households. Angus Lordie s dog, Cyril, has been stolen, and is facing an uncertain future wandering the streets. Bertie, the prodigiously talented six-year-old, is still enduring psychotherapy, but his burden is lightened by a junior orchestra's trip to Paris, where he makes some interesting new friends. Back in Edinburgh, there is romance for Pat with a handsome young man called Wolf, until she begins to see the attractions of the more prosaically named Matthew." "Teeming with McCall Smith s wonderful wit and charming depictions of Edinburgh, Love Over Scotland is another beautiful ode to a city and its people that continue to fascinate this astounding author."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,416,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible