The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age…

The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon (2013)

by Brad Stone

English (22)  German (1)  All (23)
Even though the author (long time business writer/journalist) includes details of Jeff Bezos' life, & his growing up years, etc. this is really the story of the birth & maturation of his "baby" -Amazon, the "everything store." Really illuminates the farsight Bezos had about the power of the internet but even more the ways he could stretch the 20th century idea of "store" and "business" into a 21st century Amazon - fascinating read. Doesn't pull any punches about the downside of working for Bezos or working at Amazon - ugh. Gotta be the hardest jobs in the world. ( )
  BDartnall | May 9, 2017 |
in this book it discusses how amazon survived the. com bust and losing tons of money a year to branching out to more products and pushing the envelop to give the consumer the best possible experience from price to shipping ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Nice book this one! I read about 1/3rd of it before dropping it. Considering my current skills that was one amazing read.

I felt like learnt a lot of things about the business domain and have acquired an interest in Amazon (never working there as an employee though). After reading about all about Amazon as soon as I catch Amazon written anywhere it spikes my interest levels. That's cool! Goal achieved. I've put my foot into the business domain with this book.

Pros about the book:
* lots of details about all the events. Sometimes it feels a little too detailed (cons) but then that's what helps stick the events into your head. So this one beats the cons.

* reads like a story. I liked the way everything is written in a chronical format.

* ELI5 format. I didn't have to refer online text to understand something in the book. The facts are mostly written in a basic manner without making it too.

Cons
* It brings out Jeff as a villain who is gifted a selling-his-idea ability by god. It will make you hate Jeff but then again, try to remember that he probably might not be that negative a person or people around him wouldn't put up with him. And focus more on Amazon and what all events happened around it. (can still be read in spite of this cons - you can choose to ignore it somewhat).

* Can't skim read. I felt that there are way too many facts and they're all connected. The author has definitely put in a herculean amount of effort into researching all this info. But then if you miss a couple of paragraphs here and there you'll lose the continuity. So it's better to read it in flow. (you do remember better if you read it in continuity).

MugenHere | Jul 12, 2015 |
I have been an Amazon customer since at least 1996, and I didn't realize how early to its inception that placed me. I've enjoyed the convenience, but never known much about the structure itself. Add to the mix my fascination with young tech types who have the vision to make new things happen, and I was poised to love The Everything Store. In many ways, I did. The story of the start-up was everything I had hoped, and Bezos' vision was intriguing. However, as the book moved on and the company grew, the story (and company) changed to a ruthless competitor and Sigma Six efficiency striver pushed by Bezos' endless vision. Optimist that I am, it made me like Amazon less. It seems to be an unpleasant workplace and Bezos a difficult boss, but its success has been staggering. It seems that the author had deep access to Bezos and other Amazon insiders, and the story seems candid. Certainly it was readable. There is a lot to learn here about the enterprise that started as a bookstore kept afloat by not holding inventory to a merchandising and warehousing behemoth. If you like this type of story, go for it. ( )
  wareagle78 | Apr 30, 2015 |
This entry has mismatched title and ISBN.

The definitive story of Amazon.com, one of the most successful companies in the world, and of its driven, brilliant founder, Jeff Bezos.

Amazon.com started off delivering books through the mail. But its visionary founder, Jeff Bezos, wasn't content with being a bookseller. He wanted Amazon to become the everything store, offering limitless selection and seductive convenience at disruptively low prices. To do so, he developed a corporate culture of relentless ambition and secrecy that's never been cracked. Until now. Brad Stone enjoyed unprecedented access to current and former Amazon employees and Bezos family members, giving readers the first in-depth, fly-on-the-wall account of life at Amazon. Compared to tech's other elite innovators--Jobs, Gates, Zuckerberg--Bezos is a private man. But he stands out for his restless pursuit of new markets, leading Amazon into risky new ventures like the Kindle and cloud computing, and transforming retail in the same way Henry Ford revolutionized manufacturing.

THE EVERYTHING STORE will be the revealing, definitive biography of the company that placed one of the first and largest bets on the Internet and forever changed the way we shop and read.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:42 -0400)

The first fly-on-the-wall narrative account of the world's largest online retailer and its genius creator, Jeff Bezos.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,330,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible