The Purloined Letter by Edgar Allan

The Purloined Letter (1845)

by Edgar Allan

The brilliant Dupin uses psychological reasoning to deduce the hiding place of a stolen letter.
Member:Cath.Blaauwendraad
Title:The Purloined Letter
Authors:Edgar Allan
Info:Obscure Press
Tags:Own

The Purloined Letter by Edgar Allan Poe (1845)

The City & The City by China Miéville (bertilak)
    bertilak: In both stories that which is sought is present to the sight but unseeable.

English (10)  French (1)  All languages (11)
This is a detective novel (short story) by Poe. Poe is credited with the creation of the modern detective novel. The story is about a stolen letter from the Queen of France. It displays the skills of the detective. It was enjoyable. ( )
  Kristelh | Sep 20, 2019 |
Edgar Allen Poe was an amazingly creative, unconventional man, and he is credited with inventing and popularizing the modern detective novel. The first Dupin mystery was written in 1841, [b:The Murders in the Rue Morgue|3301759|The Murders in the Rue Morgue|Edgar Allan Poe|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1409105459s/3301759.jpg|18440614]; [b:The Purloined Letter|278854|The Purloined Letter|Edgar Allan Poe|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1338446224s/278854.jpg|270472] is another mystery handily solved by C. Auguste Dupin.

This tale is not a murder mystery (as the previous Dupin mysteries were), but rather the problem of a letter stolen from the Queen of France. The explanation of Dupin's reasoning at the end seems a bit grandiose to me, but is very necessary for the reader to understand (and, in fact, to admire) his skills. I enjoyed the writing style, the dramatic nature, and the epic explanation at the end.

Overall, a lovely little mystery, and clearly a huge influence on Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, (although written well before Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes). Well worth reading, and highly recommended. ( )
  Critterbee | Apr 16, 2018 |
Read this as part of my BA in English.

With Poe's reputation, I felt disappointed with this, though parts did impress me. The concept is clever, but too much rambling prose prevented me from really liking this. ( )
  PhilSyphe | Mar 6, 2017 |
A great detective story. Short and too the point but captures you immediately. ( )
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
  JWarrenBenton | Jan 4, 2016 |
Nil sapientiæ odiosus acumine nimio. - Seneca
(Nothing is more odious to wisdom than too much cleverness.)
At Paris, just after dark one gusty evening in the autumn of 18--, I was enjoying the twofold luxury of meditation and a meerschaum, in company with my friend C. Auguste Dupin, in his little back library, or book closet, au troisième, 33 rue Dunôt, Faubourg St. Germain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,758,256 books! | Top bar: Always visible