The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven King

by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven King brings everything gloriously, tragically full circle. This was a nightmare come to life, easily the most eerie and macabre of the set. I was reading 100 mph because everything felt so intense and urgent and then suddenly... It was just over. I was mildly underwhelmed by the ending; it felt abrupt, incomplete in a few areas, as I was hoping for more closure for certain characters, such as Noah, while even Blue and Gansey felt unfinished. But, alternatively, I thought what Stiefvater did with Glendower was fitting and Adam's growth as a character was particularly spectacular. Blue as tree soul and Adam and Ronan finally getting their moment were my favorite parts of this story. All of the stars ever for Adam Ronan. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
Each of the four books in this series has been excellent. This final volume is not an exception, even though the ending didn't have quite the wallop I wanted. That said, at this point I would read a book about Blue, Gansey, and the gang eating a meal at a McDonald's and I'd be happy. I love these characters. ( )
  ladycato | May 9, 2017 |
Obviously I can't play it too cool with this one, seeing as I pre-ordered it and started and finished it the day it came out. I had lots of time and zero chill and that fear of being behind caught ahold of me and I had to know how the series ended. Then, as it happened, this was the best book of the series and I didn't want to stop. Thank goodness I had time-specific tasks on my agenda today, otherwise I would've finished it in one swallow rather than pacing it out. Pacing it out relatively. I mean, obviously my idea of pacing is shot, but basically what I'm trying to say is that I took breaks. And that taking breaks wasn't easy.

I'd keep thinking there will be a chapter that isn't about Ronan so it'll be easier to let go because stupid Ronan is stupid teenage Micha sometimes, I swear. (As I said in response to [b:Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe|12000020|Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe|Benjamin Alire Sáenz|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1461279193s/12000020.jpg|16964419], there is a part of me that is still an emotionally repressed teenage boy.) I'd say to myself, oh, she's giving us another villain chapter so I'm going to lose interest again because I found them silly and a bit boring in the other books (and they're still not the strongest point, but they weren't as weak this time around). I'd say we're starting to rehash things here so I'll lose interest, and then something would twist and I wouldn't be able to let go. I'd get into the next chapter and the next.

This book definitely sits as one of the more satisfying endings to a series that I've read in what feels like a long time. We're given what we wanted, but without it feeling too easy, which is the balance that should be struck, rather than the author bitterly withholding what the reader desires merely because the readers desire it.

I kept thinking of a girl who came into the bookstore when I was working there, looking for the second book because she was nearly finished the first and couldn't stand the thought of finishing without the next to go on to immediately. (I assured her at the time that the second was my favourite.) She looked like Blue. And I felt her impatience intensely while I waited for this to come out. I know it's because I have little else going on, but am about to have a quite a lot. The timing of this book's release was kind of ideal, and then this day was kind of ideal, and the end of it all? Pretty ideal. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |

I had a strange relationship with this final book in the series.

Mostly, I just wanted it to be done. It felt to me that Stiefvater was told to write a full-length novel when she really wanted to write a novella as the last book. There were too many scenes about the same thing. Oh, Cabeswater is in trouble? Golly, I couldn't tell. You already wrote 5 scenes about Cabeswater going through the wringer in this book, and one more isn't telling me anything more. Gosh, is Gansey upset about his approaching death? Holy cats, who wouldn't be?! Didn't you already tell us this at least a dozen times since the book started? It got sort of... dull over time.

Also, did she change up the narrative without a word of warning regarding Ronan and Adam? Have I been oblivious for 3 books? Does this bother anyone else? I like that she went in this direction, but it is not fully fleshed out, and shouldn't be just an add-on to the whole story.

And one last thing - why does Henry come in as a character only in the last book? He's appropriately sarcastically funny and does seem like a "knight" to Gansey's "king", but does he have to be this naive about the storyline? Wouldn't it have been better to include him earlier so that he isn't quite so much of a third wheel? I felt kind of bad for him during the last chapters.

I was, of course, hugely pleased with her intent in the ending, and I enjoyed Stiefvater's words as much as I normally do, but I wish I hadn't left this series with such a feeling of disappointment overall. ( )
  khage | Mar 26, 2017 |
#pynch 4ever!!!!
Very mild spoiler warning.

***

Pretty sure that the Ronan / Adam first kiss and associated scenes may be my favorite first kiss ever written. Book gets five stars for their stories.

Otherwise, I am not totally satisfied that plotlines were really concluded as well as they could have been in certain sub-threads/storylines, but I will take it. Steifvater's writing in this series is poetic, atmospheric, and while sometimes a bit cloudy - enjoyable nonetheless. Most of all, I love her ability to create fully formed, distinct characters that are relatable and unique unto themselves.

I remain mystified that this author wrote these books, when I found Shiver to be utterly unreadable. Goes to show that sometimes its good to give authors another chance :) ( )
  khinman7 | Feb 6, 2017 |
To sleep, to swim, and to dream, for ever.
— ALGERNON CHARLES SWINBURNE, “A SWIMMER’S DREAM”
These signs have mark’d me extraordinary;
And all the courses of my life do show
I am not in the roll of common men.
— WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE, HENRY IV
Darling, the composer has stepped into fire.
— ANNE SEXTON, “THE KISS”
For Sarah,
who gallantly took the Seat Perilous
Richard Gansey III had forgotten how many times he had been told he was destined for greatness.

All make way for the
Raven King. Nothing will be
as it was before.
(passion4reading)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,423,519 books! | Top bar: Always visible