The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven King

by Maggie Stiefvater

5192819,506 (4.18)23

I had a strange relationship with this final book in the series.

Mostly, I just wanted it to be done. It felt to me that Stiefvater was told to write a full-length novel when she really wanted to write a novella as the last book. There were too many scenes about the same thing. Oh, Cabeswater is in trouble? Golly, I couldn't tell. You already wrote 5 scenes about Cabeswater going through the wringer in this book, and one more isn't telling me anything more. Gosh, is Gansey upset about his approaching death? Holy cats, who wouldn't be?! Didn't you already tell us this at least a dozen times since the book started? It got sort of... dull over time.

Also, did she change up the narrative without a word of warning regarding Ronan and Adam? Have I been oblivious for 3 books? Does this bother anyone else? I like that she went in this direction, but it is not fully fleshed out, and shouldn't be just an add-on to the whole story.

And one last thing - why does Henry come in as a character only in the last book? He's appropriately sarcastically funny and does seem like a "knight" to Gansey's "king", but does he have to be this naive about the storyline? Wouldn't it have been better to include him earlier so that he isn't quite so much of a third wheel? I felt kind of bad for him during the last chapters.

I was, of course, hugely pleased with her intent in the ending, and I enjoyed Stiefvater's words as much as I normally do, but I wish I hadn't left this series with such a feeling of disappointment overall. ( )
  khage | Mar 26, 2017 |
#pynch 4ever!!!!
Very mild spoiler warning.

***

Pretty sure that the Ronan / Adam first kiss and associated scenes may be my favorite first kiss ever written. Book gets five stars for their stories.

Otherwise, I am not totally satisfied that plotlines were really concluded as well as they could have been in certain sub-threads/storylines, but I will take it. Steifvater's writing in this series is poetic, atmospheric, and while sometimes a bit cloudy - enjoyable nonetheless. Most of all, I love her ability to create fully formed, distinct characters that are relatable and unique unto themselves.

I remain mystified that this author wrote these books, when I found Shiver to be utterly unreadable. Goes to show that sometimes its good to give authors another chance :) ( )
  khinman7 | Feb 6, 2017 |
I enjoyed The Raven King for the same reason I liked the previous books. The writing, which is poetic, poignant, and atmospheric. The focus on friendship; the intensity of the relationships, with their believable tensions. The way the story is deeply conscious of class issues, and family issues, and real life limitations. I would recommend this series for all of those reasons.

This the final book in this series, addressing things that were raised in the first book. And the endings of final books are tricky things. I often find myself having to step back and ascertain whether there was actually something lacking about the ending, or if I was just expecting too much - or expecting the wrong thing. (I tend to have fewer expectations for earlier books, and I'm less likely to be disappointed if a book doesn't do X when I can hope that X will get addressed in the sequel.) And upon reflection, I often decide that I like the ending more than I originally did.

That's certainly the case here, although I still wish that the ending had cost more - or rather, that what the characters achieved had been shown to cost more. But that's just expectations, again.

The sight of all the boys in their uniforms immediately provoked an unpleasant emotion in Blue. It was a long-held, multiheaded sensation formed from judgement, experience and envy, and she didn't care for it. It wasn't that she necessarily thought that her negative opinions on raven boys were wrong. It was just that knowing Gansey, Adam, Ronan, and Noah complicated what she did with those opinions. It had been a lot more straightforward when she'd just assumed that she could despise them all from the thin air of the moral high ground. ( )
  Herenya | Jan 18, 2017 |
Felt that this series went down hill. It just wasnt for me ( )
  NinaTest | Jan 9, 2017 |
Fore more book reviews check out my blog at www.RealLifary.com

So book four picks up right where book 3 left off, only a week after making it out of the collapsing cave and facing off against Piper. Piper along with Neeve, has woken the third sleeper, you know, they one they had been warned not to wake. Something is wrong with Cabeswater. It is slowly becoming dark and dangerous. Time is running out for the crew as they desperately try to find Glendower before the third woken sleeper destroys it, and them all along with it. Relationships take unexpected turns within the group, Ronan accidentally brings someone back from a dream, Blue finds out shocking information about her father (and thus herself), and the imminent predicted death of Gansey is fast approaching.

Overall I would have to say I am fairly satisfied with the way the story ended. I had an idea of how the whole "true love" curse was going to play out with Blue and Gansey and I feel I was pretty right on track with that, so nothing really shocking there (other than the method in which he was resurrected, I wasn't really sure how that was going to play out). A few things that I was not expecting, however, were who (what?) the third woken sleeper would be, and it's mission to "unmake" if you will, the revelation about Blues true heritage and what her father was, and finally the relationship between Adam and Ronan. I will say I was disappointed that Glendower was long gone, no wish to be had from the lost king. It really seemed like the whole series was so fate and destiny driven, almost as if all their life's choices and circumstances brought them all together for this one thing only to have it totally not be about that one thing at all. I was slightly annoyed with the introduction of Henry into the group, but he grew on me so I got over it. I do have a couple unresolved questions though. What happened with Mr. Grey and Maura? Do they live happily ever after? Do the rare/magical artifact dealers just give up on Henrietta and leave everyone alone? Laumonier just split after killing Piper and never looked back? These are the unanswered things that drive me nuts in a book but Maggie did leave it pretty opened ended, which leads me to believe it could possibly be revisited in the future so maybe it isn't the end for the crew? Do I smell a spin off?

I think I had higher hopes for the ending which may have left me a tad disappointed but not so much so that I felt like I'd wasted time reading the series. I did enjoy it overall, the characters are all great and work well together. Even the cranky, ornary ones (ahem, Ronan) are really quite endearing. There is the perfect touch of magic and mysticism in the series along with some great villains and nail biting suspense, especially at the end of the series. I would recommend it to anyone in the mood for an urban fantasy. ( )
  courtneygiraldo | Nov 15, 2016 |
To sleep, to swim, and to dream, for ever.
— ALGERNON CHARLES SWINBURNE, “A SWIMMER’S DREAM”
These signs have mark’d me extraordinary;
And all the courses of my life do show
I am not in the roll of common men.
— WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE, HENRY IV
Darling, the composer has stepped into fire.
— ANNE SEXTON, “THE KISS”
For Sarah,
who gallantly took the Seat Perilous
Richard Gansey III had forgotten how many times he had been told he was destined for greatness.

All make way for the
Raven King. Nothing will be
as it was before.
(passion4reading)

80 wanted2 pay4 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,296,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible