The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven King

by Maggie Stiefvater

Recently added bylaureyd, RavenHill, Fantasybkaddict, fjii86, Gretchening, Alexslamdra, private library, MarinMWay

I must be getting really good at picking books or maybe I’m not as smart as I think I am (totally plausible), because this was yet another book where I really had no idea how it was going to end. And probably because Stiefvater doesn’t just write the typical YA stuff that you’d expect. Even though the Raven Cycle is full of the typical things you'd find in YA genre (magic, prophecy, love triangle (kinda), and cute boys), the plot doesn’t just take over everything in the story. Yes, it’s important and present, but Stiefvater truly shines through her characters. She knows how to write such incredibly, real people that you just want to hug and hang out with. The characters are seriously the best thing about this series. I could honestly read about these guys going to the grocery store or buying textbooks. Even the new ones that were introduced in this book, I found myself instantly caring about (with a healthy dose of distrust...nothing wrong with staying on your guard). And of course, the ones you already love, you love even more as you get to know on a deeper level. Even with all the craziness that’s happening in the story, at it’s core, it's very character-driven. Despite fate and prophecy, it’s all about the characters’ choices, which makes the Raven Cycle so wonderful and unique. ( )
  PikakeFlor | Jul 6, 2017 |
2.5 stars
I feel very weird about this book. I was so excited for it because everyone has been talking about it so much so I basically just read the entire series in order to be able to read this, but I got into it kind of knowing most of what's going to happen at the end, and I feel like that kind of spoiled it for me. Sure the writing was still just as good but there was sooo much I simply did not care about, I basically just skimmed the second half, and I didn't feel very satisfied with the ending. It's kind of misleading because I was expecting this grand moment where they find Glendower and everything gets fixed, but that just didn't happen and it was quite disappointing.
I feel like many things weren't cleared up because I was 75% and still everything was going wrong and there was kind of no hope of things getting fixed and the ending is actually quite open and I don't like it. The entire series is leading up to this amazing thing that is supposed to happen, but it just does not happen. And that frustrates me. It didn't make me feel many things.
Overall I feel like the series just went downhill, which is a first for me. I absolutely loved the first two books, I might even say my favourite was the second one, but then in Blue Lily, Lily Blue the story just started going in a direction I wasn't very interested in, then new characters appeared and I just kind of lost interest because I was reading it for the five main characters, and nobody else.
I also was quite disappointed in how Noah was treated because he seems like such a nice boy but
he always just kind of faded in the background and I hate it, I hate it so much. There could've been so many things done with his character, for example The Dream Thieves is basically entirely about Ronan and I loved that, why couldn't we have that with Noah?? He deserved so much better.
I did Ronan, Gansey and Blue in this one, though the relationship between Ronan and Adam could've been developed a lot more.
All things considered, I would give the entire series 3.5 stars. ( )
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
This series are amazing! The magic, the love, the evil that threatens all is the perfect recipe for an absolute must read! 100% recommended! ( )
  Mabely | May 27, 2017 |
The Raven King brings everything gloriously, tragically full circle. This was a nightmare come to life, easily the most eerie and macabre of the set. I was reading 100 mph because everything felt so intense and urgent and then suddenly... It was just over. I was mildly underwhelmed by the ending; it felt abrupt, incomplete in a few areas, as I was hoping for more closure for certain characters, such as Noah, while even Blue and Gansey felt unfinished. But, alternatively, I thought what Stiefvater did with Glendower was fitting and Adam's growth as a character was particularly spectacular. Blue as tree soul and Adam and Ronan finally getting their moment were my favorite parts of this story. All of the stars ever for Adam Ronan. ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
Each of the four books in this series has been excellent. This final volume is not an exception, even though the ending didn't have quite the wallop I wanted. That said, at this point I would read a book about Blue, Gansey, and the gang eating a meal at a McDonald's and I'd be happy. I love these characters. ( )
  ladycato | May 9, 2017 |
To sleep, to swim, and to dream, for ever.
— ALGERNON CHARLES SWINBURNE, “A SWIMMER’S DREAM”
These signs have mark’d me extraordinary;
And all the courses of my life do show
I am not in the roll of common men.
— WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE, HENRY IV
Darling, the composer has stepped into fire.
— ANNE SEXTON, “THE KISS”
For Sarah,
who gallantly took the Seat Perilous
Richard Gansey III had forgotten how many times he had been told he was destined for greatness.

All make way for the
Raven King. Nothing will be
as it was before.
(passion4reading)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,095,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible