Literární spolek Laury Sněžné

Literární spolek Laury Sněžné (2006)

"Only nine people have ever been chosen by renowned children's author Laura White to join "The Rabbit Back Literature Society," an elite group of writers in the small town of Rabbit Back. Now a tenth member has been selected: Ella, a young literature teacher. Soon Ella discovers that the Society is not what it seems. What is its mysterious ritual known as "The Game"? What explains the strange disappearance that occurs at Laura White's winter party? Why are the words inside books starting to rearrange themselves? Was there once another tenth member, before her? Slowly, as Ella explores the Society and its history, disturbing secrets that had been buried start to come to light... In this chilling, witty novel for readers of The Shadow of the Wind, Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, and S., the uncanny brushes up against the everyday in the most beguiling and unexpected of ways"--… (more)
Member:zdeneklehocky
Title:Literární spolek Laury Sněžné
Authors:
Info:Publisher Unknown, 320 pages
Tags:knihovna, to-read

Work Information

The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen (2006)

The Secret History by Donna Tartt (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: Slow uncovering of a dark secret amongst a tight-knit group of friends. Lots of snow.
    Mr Toppit by Charles Elton (Becchanalia)
    Becchanalia: Also about a dark mystery surrounding a writer of children's fiction with an air of menace.
    The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson (rrmmff2000)
    rrmmff2000: Lighthearted Nordic stories with no particular destination or hurry to get there.

English (28)  Finnish (3)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (33)
A gripping gothic tale with some striking observations about the nature of literary inspiration. As in many works of "magical realism", there are some surreal aspects to the plot which are never satisfactorily explained. If I didn't mind this, I would have added another star to my rating. ( )
  JosephCamilleri | Jan 1, 2022 |
Like most, I was drawn to this book by the comparison to Twin Peaks and the beautiful cover. After discovering it at a local bookstore with a glowing staff recommendation, I decided to add it to my lengthy "to read" list and leave it at that. After reading more reviews online, I ended up returning to the bookstore the next day to purchase it, deciding that it seemed like the kind of book I wanted to read as a book rather than on my Kindle.

Now I'm wishing I had gone the Kindle route. Although a quick read, this book promises and proposes so many interesting and twisted ideas and only answers one of the numerous questions it sets forth. The plot jumps from strange disappearances to strange deaths to unexplained phantoms to diseased books without ever settling on one concept long enough to nurture it. With enough interesting concepts and mysteries to fill multiple books, the mysteries seem wasted in this story. Despite having so many interesting directions, I am still struggling to identify any cohesive plot after finishing it.

Interestingly enough, the majority of the action in this book occurs in the epilogue, which moves quickly and seems to being answering one of the more pressing mysteries of the book. Unfortunately, the revelation and resolution of the story is handled like an afterthought on the last page, and instead of bathing the rest of the book in a new light, it feels like another wasted opportunity to say anything real. In the end, the story and characters always felt like they were at a distance (the fault of the translation, perhaps?) and the story left me wanting more closure.

Overall, I would recommend this to those who revel in open-ended mysteries that leave the reader a lot of room to fill in the gaps. ( )
  fitals | Jul 19, 2019 |
Inventive, unnerving, and delightful, with occasional forays into the Psychologically Quite Nasty. Either heavily influenced by the Moomintroll books, or (more likely) both were influenced by Finnish/Scandinavian cultural and mythological heritage. Goes past magical realism but stops short of surrealism by just a hair.
Like a fairy tale detective story where the last few pages, when the detective explains it all, are missing. A book that is satisfying on its own (IMO) but practically *requires* you to get someone else to read it so you can animatedly discuss your theories on what exactly was going on with this character or that. Also props to the author for writing an absolutely believable female protagonist. ( )
  amandrake | Apr 30, 2018 |
A young teacher gets an invitation to join an exclusive club of writers, but during the party to celebrate this, the leader disappears and strange things happen. It seems one of the former members disappeared and nobody is willing to talk about this.
I don't know what to think of this book. It started out really well as it took me by surprise and immediately got my attention. It was weird, unusual, funny, enthralling and much more. But eventually, it did not live up to its expectations. Red herrings were all over the place, but few were actually picked up, symbolism was used, but with no actual meaning to it, the plot in itself was very weak and it all turned out to be less special than I'd expected at first.
But all in all, I enjoyed most of the read. Only the outcome was disappointing. If I had written my comments after I had read the first chapters, you'd all have rushed off to the bookshop. Now, I mildly recommend it if you are into something special without expecting too much in the end. ( )
  Trifolia | Mar 15, 2018 |
Another book trying to be a bit too clever for itself. When I first heard about it, I somewhat thought it'd be like 'Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore'. A mystery, secret society, books, what was not to like?

Quite a lot. I didn't like 'Penumbra' and hoped this would turn out better. Unfortunately, not so much. Ella has been selected to join the The Society. But of course, not everything is as it seems. There's something weird with that book. Her sister mysteriously vanishes. The Society seems to be hiding something that's much more sinister than what she's been told. So what's going on?

I wanted to like it, was curious. I'm not sure if it's because it's a translated work that is why it didn't work for me. I was mildly interested in the beginning but the book couldn't hold my attention. I don't mind magical realism or supernatural elements to the reading, but the book needs to be written well-enough to hold my attention. This definitely did not.

Just to let the reader know there is sexual violence that may be triggering/upsetting for some readers.

Honestly, I'd skip it. Borrow from the library if you must. ( )
  HoldMyBook | Feb 11, 2018 |

Jääskeläinen, Pasi Ilmariprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rogers, Lola M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lukija ensin hämmästyi ja sitten loukkaantui, kun rikollinen nimeltä Raskolnikov äkkiä surmattiin hänen silmiensä edessä keskelle katua.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,541,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible