This Crazy Thing Called Love: The Golden World and Fatal Marriage of Ann… (1992)

by Susan Braudy

A huge, rich, riveting book--the story of money, glamour, society, scandal, and bitter family strife that exploded into what Life magazine called the shooting of the century. 100 photographs.
    The Two Mrs. Grenvilles by Dominick Dunne (sandykaypax)
    sandykaypax: Fictional account of the Ann and Billy Woodward marriage.

This book about the life (and death) of the real life Woodward Family of NY was extremely long. It was very detailed and (I hope) based on real information available at the time. I recommend this book (because it is a paperback) for a long train or plane trip.... It will take you days to read it. ( )
  yukon92 | Dec 23, 2017 |
To Edward Patterson, Charles Allen, Jr.,

Cynthia and Edward Lasker, Victoria Wildon,

and the memory of Bill Sudduth
I met Ann Woodword's sons in the early 1970s.   (Introduction)
In 1918 Ethel Smiley Crowell was twenty-three and strong-willed.

An account of the murder of an heir to a banking fortune by his wife describes how a beautiful actress from impoverished rural Kansas won the love of banking heir Billy Woodward, only to shoot him in 1955 in their Oyster Bay home.

[retreived 2/24/2014 from Amazon.com]

Life Magazine called the episode "The Shooting of the Century." A version of the crime was recounted in Truman Capote's Unanswered Prayers, "La Côte Basque," calling the two principals Ann and David Hopkins.   'Ann learned of the impending publication, in Esquire magazine, of Capote's initial version of the story and killed herself with an overdose of sleeping pills in 1975. "Well, that's that", said her mother-in-law, Elizabeth Woodward, "she shot my son, and Truman just murdered her, and so now I suppose we don't have to worry about that anymore."' (Wikipedia, retrieved 1/24/2014)

The Two Mrs. Grenvilles, another fictionalized version of the story by Dominick Dunne, was published in 1985, and subsequently became a movie.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,113,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible