Healing and the Mind (1993)

by Bill Moyers

In the best-selling companion volume to the PBS series, acclaimed television journalist Bill Moyers explores the fascinating, complex, powerful connection between mind and body in human health. Ancient medical science told us our minds and bodies are one. So did philosophers of old. Now, modern science and new research are helping us to understand these connections. InHealing And The Mind, Bill Moyers talks with physicians, scientists, therapists, and patients -- people who are taking a new look at the meaning of sickness and health. In a series of fascinating and provocative interviews, he discusses their search for answers to perplexing questions: How do emotions translate into chemicals in our bodies? How do thoughts and feelings influence health? How can we collaborate with our bodies to encourage healing? With the incisive style that has made Bill Moyers's skills as an interviewer legendary,Healing And The Mindis destined to influence how America thinks about sickness and health. Full -color and B & W photographs throughout.… (more)

English (5)  Korean (1)  All languages (6)
Tho important questions shaped Healing and the Mind: How do thoughts and feelings influence health? How is healing related to the mind? We asked doctors in large public hospitals and small community clinics about healing and the mind in daily practice. We talked with people in stress reduction clinics and therapeutic support groups and learned about such techniques as meditation and self regulation as well as about regimens of diet and exercise. We talked with scientitst about mind/body connections. We traveled to China to experience a culture whose model of human health is so different from ours that my questions about the connection of mind and body could not be answered within its frame of reference. When the regulation of chi, or vital energy, is the object of medicine, questions about mind and body make no sense.The journey led us to a central question: what is health?
  CenterPointMN | Feb 5, 2020 |
This book is a collection of interviews by Bill Moyers of doctors and experts in alternative healing approaches and techniques. Each article can stand on its own as an introduction to the topic it covers. This book is a companion to a 5 videocassette set of the programs aired on television in 1992. ( )
  drj | Aug 9, 2019 |
  CenterPointMN | Jun 13, 2018 |
This was a rather strange format. It is an audio recoding of the actual TV production. One sometimes feels a bit well, blind, while listening. One must picture the Tai Chi demonstrations, the brain surgery under accupuncture, the crying and silence during group therapy sessions. The series is light and a bit; 'motherhood and apple pie. 'Nice warm and fuzzy feelings. 'Not a lot of science. ( )
  Sandydog1 | Nov 7, 2011 |
Henry Moyers
Fetzer Institute
Sirens wail through the night

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,990,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible