Ten Kings: And The Worlds They Ruled

by Milton Meltzer

A riveting portrait of ten kings in history by Milton Meltzer, America's premier nonfiction writer. This book tells the story of ten kings. Kings made the rules by which their people lived. Kings carried on wars to protect their realms or expand their power, and kings, like the rest of us, were complex human beings. Starting with Hammurabi, who ruled Mesopotamia, to Peter the Great, the legendary Russian czar, Milton Meltzer shows the reader how political leaders use and abuse power. Although each of these men lived hundreds or thousands of years ago, these tales provide a striking portrait of how human behavior remains virtually unchanged over time and how one person can alter the course of history.… (more)

920.02
  OakGrove-KFA | Mar 28, 2020 |
"This book is about power--power in the hands of kings."

Once again, Milton Meltzer and Bethanne Andersen completely amaze me with this book about men of power while also complementing their book about queens and women of power. Touching slightly on both of these books, I must say that I simply love the great attention to detail and progression of information. There is just enough intrigue mixed with fact to keep anyone from losing interest. Not to mention that some of the kings and queens who are in these books were rulers I have never even heard of before now! Even despite me knowing a great deal about quite a few of these rulers, I did not possess half the knowledge about any of them that I do now. I am very excited to use this pair of books in the classroom, maybe even simultaneously where I could assign a queen or king to the opposite gender student.
  ADReed | Feb 2, 2015 |
More suitable for high school level students. I liked how the book allows students to see 10 different Kings in one book making it easier to compare. ( )
  CelenaM511 | Dec 4, 2013 |
This book is the complement to Meltzer's "Ten Queens." It covers the life, times and reign of ten historical kings and offers a glimpse into their past.

This book would be great for any student who is interested in royalty (I myself love it). It's at an advanced reading level (and long), so it may require discussion to appeal to younger grades, but it is very informative and interesting. Also, as some rulers of the past were violent, it would be most appropriate for the older grades. It is an excellent source of information for Social Studies, specifically for cultural and world history.
  jebass | Oct 24, 2011 |
Excellent history for 9-to-12s. The entries are from around the world (South America, Africa and Asia in addition to Europe), they're short and easy-to-read, the illustrations are good and the history is accurate. ( )
  meggyweg | May 18, 2011 |
Handsome illustrations, including speculative portraits of the kings. Useful maps and bibliography.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times (Aug 11, 2001)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,358,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible