Another Time, Another Life by Leif G.W.…

Another Time, Another Life (2003)

by Leif G.W. Persson

English (13)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  All (16)
Interesting, but not quite as layered & complex as I had expected from reading Between Summers longing... ( )
  jkdavies | Jun 14, 2016 |
Maybe 3 and a half stars from me. I neither loved nor hated this book - which started off very promisingly about half way through but seemed to get lost in documentary about the political situation surrounding the collapse of East Germany, the Stasi and the impact on Swedish politics in the late 20th century. All interesting stuff, but not very racy and at times just distracting and even confusing. However, having persevered, I found the pace pick up with the re-investigations of new Swedish security police head, Lars Johansson, into the 1989 murder of a civil servant - an investigation completely bungled at the time by almost comically incompetent detectives. The political implications of the new investigation are intriguing and the pace picks up somewhat. Some characters are very memorable - especially Johansson himself, and some of his colleagues, including Anna Holt who features in the book more or less throughout. Persson's philosophical musings on life and police work seem to be very typical of Scandinavian crime writers and can be both annoying and rewarding reading. Overall, I would have enjoyed this novel much more if it had been a bit shorter than its 475 pages.
  noellib | Apr 11, 2016 |
Torsdagen den 30 november på Karl XII:s dödsdag rasar våldsamma demonstrationer i Stockholms city. Ungefär samtidigt mördas en lägre tjänsteman vid en anonym statlig myndighet i sin lägenhet på Östermalm.
En motvillig Jarnebring svarar på larmet. När han och hans nya kollega, kriminalinspektör Anna Holt, väl kommer dit har gärningsmannen redan hunnit avvika
  svkkarlskrona | Feb 1, 2016 |
Synopsis/blurb......
Stockholm, 1975: Six young people take the entire staff of the West German embassy hostage. The long siege ends with the deaths of two hostages and the wounding of several others. Jump to 1989: When a Swedish civil servant is murdered, the two leading detectives on the case find their investigation hastily shelved by a corrupt senior investigator. Ten years later: Lars Johansson, having just joined the Swedish Security Police, decides to tie up a few loose ends left behind by his predecessor: specifically, two files on Swedes who had allegedly collaborated on the 1975 takeover of the West German embassy, one of whom turned out to be the murder victim in 1989. Johansson reopens the investigation and follows the leads--right up to the doorstep of Sweden's newly minted minister of justice.
Well after a month’s break from this author having oscillated between enjoyed/endured/enjoyed/endured for Between Summer’s Longing And Winter’s End, I saddled up on got back on the horse for another trip in Persson’s company this time around. Thankfully it was somewhat shorted that our last stamina test at just under 480 pages long.
Persson again blends fact and fiction into his novel, reminding me of James Ellroy in regards to grabbing hold of a seismic event in recent Swedish history and constructing a fictional narrative around it.
We start with the occupation of the German Embassy in Stockholm which ends violently with an explosion after the deaths of a couple of the hostages. Several of Persson’s recurring police characters are present at the events in 1975, mainly Jarnebring; best friend of Lars Martin Johannson.
We fast forward to 1989 where Jarnebring discovers the death of Kjell Eriksson after responding to an emergency call from a neighbour. The investigation into his murder is led by the corrupt, homophobic Backstrom and very quickly descends into farce with Backstrom’s insistence that the crime is because of Eriksson’s obvious homosexuality, consequentially routing the investigation down a blind alley. Jarnebring, aided by the capable Anna Holt pursue other more probable avenues of enquiry but eventually the case is shelved unsolved. Eriksson; a nasty, controlling, unloved, unmourned, friendless victim is apparently forgotten.
We jump forward another 11 years to the year 2000, and the aftermath of the fall of the Berlin Wall. Johansson, head of the internal Swedish Security Police is asked to sign off on the prospective appointment of Helena Stein to the higher level of the Swedish government. When the checks uncover a link between Stein and Eriksson and the German Embassy seizure, Detectives Holt get the opportunity to re-open the investigation into Eriksson’s murder; this time without Backstrom’s interference.
Overall, I enjoyed this slightly more than the first book in loose “The Story of a Crime” trilogy. Persson expertly knits together a narrative that had me constantly marvelling at the skilful way in which he layers detail into his plot. It was an interesting and educational read, as I learned something more about Sweden’s recent history. Persson’s policemen and women are always entertaining and readable, even the abhorrent ones – Mr Backstrom!
Whilst the minutia last time was a wee bit excessive, I didn’t experience the same frustrations this time around. Being shorter than the first book by approximately 200 pages definitely helped. Slightly less challenging than last time, but well worth the time invested in it.
I’m looking forward to the next book of his – Linda, As In The Linda Murder, though I will probably take another month off before tackling it.
4 stars from 5.
I borrowed my copy from my local library.

col2910 | Apr 17, 2014 |
Synopsis/blurb......
4 stars from 5.
I borrowed my copy from my local library. ( )
  col2910 | Jun 14, 2013 |

Leif G.W. Perssonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Norlén, Paul R.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norlen, PaulTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Puleo, GiorgioTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Till Mikael och Björnen, Vad är det för vits med att varna någon som inte kan försvara sig? Professorn
Torsdagen den 24 april 1975 kom döden på kontorstid och för ovanlighetens skull i skepnad av både kvinna och man.

From the back cover of the Livre de poche edition (2008):

Y aurait-il quelque chose de pourri au royaume de Suède ? Sous le soleil de minuit est une chronique âpre et sans concession des événements qui ont profondément marqué la société suédoise, de 1975 – l’année où eut lieu une prise d’otages sanglante à l’ambassade d’Allemagne de l’Ouest à Stockholm – à 2000.

Terrorisme, manipulations politico-financières, compromissions de tous ordres et intrigues de la CIA, le tableau en forme de puzzle que brosse Leif GW Persson est noir, très noir.

Mais il en faudrait plus pour décourager le très attachant Lars Martin Johansson, de la Brigade criminelle, qualifié par certains de « seul flic suédois honnête »...

When a Swedish civil servant is murdered, the two leading detectives on the case, Anna Holt and Bo Jarnebring, find their investigation hastily shelved by an incompetent and corrupt senior investigator. Ten years later, Lars Johansson, having just joined the Swedish Security Police, decides to tie up a few loose ends left behind by his predecessor: specifically, two files on Swedes who had allegedly collaborated on the 1975 takeover of the West German embassy.… (more)

24 wanted4 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,731,038 books! | Top bar: Always visible