Brazen by Kelley Armstrong

Brazen

by Kelley Armstrong

Series: Otherworld (novella)

Nick Sorrentino knows everyoone in the supernatural world considers him the Pack's playboy, the pretty but not very useful werewolf whose only reputation usually involves his amorous exploits. Usually, Nick couldn't care less what anyone outside of the pack thinks of him, but when iff affects his hunt for Malcolm Danvers, a psychotic bogeyman from the pack's past, it matters. Necessity forces Nick to team up with mercenary half-demon Vanessa Callas to run Malcolm to ground in Detroit. Together, they discover Malcolm is more deadly than ever.… (more)

I enjoyed this. The point of the story wasn't really anything to do with Malcolm Danvers (who is Evil) - it's a bit of well-deserved character development for Nick Sorrentino. In this novella, Nick comes to the fore, and shows himself to be something more than just a playboy. He's a man who has his own place in the Pack hierarchy, and is comfortable with it - whatever outsiders might think of him.

I also liked the other protagonist - Vanessa - an intelligent workaholic who has decided that she'd like a piece of what Nick Sorrentino seems to be handing out. Unfortunately, she discovers that her technique is a little... rusty. :-) The interplay between them was fun, and emphasised that Nick is more than just the playboy outsiders think he is.

I'll probably read this again; it's a nice little novella with two characters that I like - and hope will reappear. ( )
  T_K_Elliott | Mar 12, 2017 |
This was a great Nick story and it let us see life with the Pack after Thirteen.
I like how Nick was fully aware of the stereotypes people referred to him as and just kept living life as he wanted to, and still stepping up to do what the Pack needed, while allowing his opponents to miss-estimate him.
I'd love to see more from him and from Vanessa. ( )
  acf151 | Jun 18, 2016 |
Brazen is both an adjective and a verb. That word works both ways for the attitude and action of werewolf Malcolm Danvers, homicidal sociopathic father of Jeremy Danvers, retired Alpha. The current Alpha is Elena Michaels, wife of Jeremy's foster (adopted?) son, Pack Enforcer Clayton 'Clay' Danvers. If you think Elena acknowledges Malcolm as her grandfather-in-law, guess again. She wants him captured and killed.

By the way, Brazen comes after Hidden and Forbidden in the Subterranean Press Otherworld novellas.

Nick Sorrentino, werewolf, and Vanessa Callas, fire half-demon, are the ones chasing Malcolm. The book alternates between their viewpoints. We know which character's viewpoint it is because his/her first name appears in large letters under the chapter number. Nick is the son of Antonio and grandson of the late Dominic Sorrentino, who was the Pack's Alpha before Jeremy. Dominic believed Malcolm had killed his son's mother, but Malcolm was a good fighter and she was just a woman. Yeah, those were the Bad Old Days.

Nick has been playing the field -- no mate, no children. Now, though, he has three werewolf foster sons: Morgan Walsh (currently running with the Russian wolves), Reese Williams (learning the family business from the ground up while getting his Master of Business Administration degree), and Noah Sorrentino. Noah isn't blood kin, but this son and grandson of a former Pack member is passing as Antonio's nephew. Caring for these three has turned Nick into a more responsible guy.

Vanessa and Nick team up after Rhys makes a biiig mistake. There's plenty of danger, a bit of spice, a heart-stopping moment in a chase scene, and a satisfactory ending.

Notes:

Chapter two:

a. The Sorrentino house has 10,000 square feet (929.030 4 square meters) of living space that sits on 100 acres. Antonio's ancestors bought the land 300 years ago. Werewolves live with all generations under one roof.

b. We learn about the three young (teen or not much older) werewolves Nick has been rearing. If you want more, read Frostbitten and Forbidden.

c.Vanessa's code name is 'Ness' and she's a former F.B.I. agent. In case you've never seen any version of 'The Untouchables,' they were more-or-less based on real-life F. B. I. Agent Eliot Ness. So, is it Rhys or Vanessa with the sense of humor?

Chapter three introduces Vanessa to Nick and gives her description.

Chapter four: We get Vanessa's background information, including her routine. Ness is in charge of five agents, four of them women. We're told why mostly women.

Chapter five:

a. The Sorrentino dinner hour habit is described.

b. Why Antonio has tried so hard to keep Nick safe is hinted at.

Chapter six: The file on Malcolm Danvers that Elena provided was heavily redacted, so Nick gets to tell Vanessa more about their target.

Chapter nine: 'Get the hell out of Dodge' refers to Dodge City, Kansas. In the classic Western TV show, 'Gunsmoke,' villains were warned to get out of Dodge. It means to leave a place in a hurry and implies the person leaving is or should be fleeing for his/her life.

Chapter ten: We learn a bit about old and current werewolf politics.

Chapter twelve: We learn where Elena and Clay's twins, Kate and Logan, are. The Jaime whose show in Charleston the twins have been taken to see is Jaime Vegas, the necromancer dating Jeremy Danvers. See Haunted, Living With the Dead, Thirteen, and Amityville Horrible.

Chapter thirteen:

a. Look here for information on what happened to the first two partners the Nast Cabal inflicted on Malcolm.

b. Rhys has a mole in the Nast Cabal.

Chapter twenty-two:

a. Vanessa grew up in Newark, New Jersey. She's lost the accent.

b. We learn about Sophie, daughter of Vanessa's late 5-years-older sister, Dawn. Sophie lives with Vanessa. They live in Boston.

c. I'm guessing the show that Vanessa refuses to name is 'The Nanny'.

While I enjoyed Brazen, I wasn't happy with the placement of three of the four illustrations. I would have put them directly opposite the page they were illustrating instead of several pages before. They didn't need to be spoiling the readers. ( )
  JalenV | Mar 25, 2016 |
Nice return to Otherworld. Nick's after Malcolm and ends up with Vanessa, a fire half-demon. Mainly in Detroit. Does have Elena and Clay a tiny bit. Liked the pics scattered thru the book. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this one. The series never really focused on Nick that much and this story Nick is allowed to shine. He is tracking Malcolm for Clay and Elena and catches up with him in Detroit. There is more to it than that but since this is a novella I don't want to give much away but I hope that even if the main series of Otherworld is done I hope she keeps up with the novellas and gives time to the secondary characters in this universe.
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |

Kelley Armstrongprimary authorall editionscalculated
AngilramIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Daumarie, XaviéreCover & illustrationssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Desert Isle Design LLCCover & interior designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
WHEN NICK SORRENTINO'S alarm went off at five a.m., he bolted upright, certain it was his phone ringing, some emergency unfolding.
Nick could ignore the question. But that wasn't his policy with the boys. Ask anything about anything. That was how Antonio raised him. It also meant never ignoring the opportunity to pass along a lesson or advice. (chapter two)
Nick doubted any sane person could understand how Malcolm thought, but the Pack knew better than to underestimate him, and with Malcolm, that was where outsiders failed. (chapter five)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,917,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible