The Red Badge of Courage by Stephan Crane

The Red Badge of Courage (original 1895; edition 2004)

by Stephan Crane

2,311445,057 (3.17)None
In the spring of 1863, as he faces battle for the first time at Chancellorsville, Virginia, a young Union soldier matures to manhood and finds peace of mind as he comes to grips with his conflicting emotions about war.
Member:wiselis5
Title:The Red Badge of Courage
Authors:Stephan Crane
Info:Prestwick House Inc. (2004), Paperback, 152 pages

The Red Badge of Courage / The Veteran by Stephen Crane (1895)

English (43)  French (1)  All languages (44)
I didn't like this as much as I thought that I would. I read Crane's "Maggie: A Girl of the Streets" and really enjoyed it. I am also a huge fan of the naturalist movement in literature--especially the American writers in that movement. I was expecting it to be a bit like "All Quiet on the Western Front"--a coming of age story with a war setting. It was a bit like that, certainly at first, but I found that the story line meandered around so much that it lost the tension that was so prevalent in the first third of the book.

I do feel that most young and inexperienced men placed in war situations have the feelings that our protagonist described as he in his own mind explores concepts like fear, courage, and even rage and then experiences each of them in a physical and concrete reality. I am sure that the idealism that he describes has impelled many young men to leave what they perceive to be their boring lives for what they feel is certain fame and status.

Clearly an important work but for me I enjoyed "All Quiet" better. ( )
  ChrisMcCaffrey | Apr 6, 2021 |
I am pretty confident that I should have read The Red Badge of Courage much earlier in my life. However, if I read it in high school, I don’t remember it. Stephen Crane wrote The Red Badge of Courage in 1894, nearly thirty years after the Civil War. Additionally, Crane did not take part in the war. Nonetheless, Crane was able to pull together a moving story that touched on so many different emotions and thoughts a soldier may have experienced. Read more ( )
  skrabut | Sep 2, 2020 |
The author's vivid descriptions made everything real. I wish every student of the Civil War could be made to read this and understand the anguish of war. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Though overall, The Red Badge of Courage was a good book, it just didn't hold my attention the way other historical fiction books have done in the past. Maybe it just didn't live up to my expectations as a heart-wrenching war epic that I thought it would be. Though I understood that the author was trying to show the youth as a child, unprepared for the realities of war, I felt that he came across as irresponsible and whiny and I had a hard time feeling sympathy towards his plight. I guess I can always be thankful the book was short. ( )
  BookishHooker | Dec 16, 2019 |
Reading Between the Whines book club choice for March 2009. ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Jun 28, 2019 |

Stephen Craneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Minor, WendellIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The cold passed reluctantly from the earth, and the retiring fogs revealed an army stretched out on the hills, resting. (The Red Badge of Courage)
Out of the low window could be seen three hickory trees placed irregularly in a meadow that was resplendent in springtime green. (The Veteran)
This editon of Red Badge of Courage includes the story, "The Veteran." Please do not combine with books that contain the novel alone.

Legacy Library: Stephen Crane

Stephen Crane has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Stephen Crane's legacy profile.

See Stephen Crane's author page.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,136,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible