Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey

Riders of the Purple Sage (original 1912; edition 2002)

by Zane Grey (Author), William Handley (Introduction)

Jane, a wealthy rancher living in a Mormon village, must marry the arrogant Elder Tull as the Mormon churchmen decree. But Lassiter rides into town to teach Tull and his mob a lesson.
Member:quondame
Title:Riders of the Purple Sage
Authors:Zane Grey (Author)
Other authors:William Handley (Introduction)
Info:Modern Library (2002), 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**

Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey (1912)

A Study in Scarlet by Arthur Conan Doyle (TineOliver)
    TineOliver: Both books deal with views on Mormonism by outsiders at the beginning of the 20th Century. This recommendation is only for those who are interested in this aspect as the novels cover different genres.

Whew! Mostly a slog. There is a fabulous horse chase, and a fair amount of adventure staples, but the dialogue is brutally awkward and almost all the set up patently absurd. Horses that can go over 50 miles a day! And the horrifying specter of cute little girl Fay, had me gagging with the manipulative exploitation of her and her use in the plot. ( )
  quondame | Sep 12, 2019 |
Want to read a western? Then this is the one, it is all here, the widow, the gunslinger in black, the bad cattlemen. Great stuff that defined a genre. ( )
  PhilOnTheHill | Sep 8, 2019 |
Digital audiobook read by John Bolen.

From the book jacket: Cottonwoods, Utah, 1871. A woman stands accused. A man, sentenced to whipping. In … rides … Lassiter, a notorious gunman who’s come to avenge his sister’s death. It doesn’t take Lassiter long to see that this once-peaceful Mormon community is controlled by the corrupt Deacon Tull – a powerful elder who’s trying to take the woman’s land by forcing her to marry him, branding her foreman a dangerous “outsider.” Lassiter vows to help them. But when the ranch is attacked by horse thieves, cattle rustlers, and a mysterious Masked Rider, he realizes they’re up against something bigger, and more brutal, than the land itself…

My reactions
I hardly know what to write about this classic of the Western genre. It’s full of adventure, violence, strong men and women, tenderness, brutality and an abiding sense of justice. And, of course, there is the landscape, which Grey paints so vividly it is practically a character.

Yes, the storyline and dialogue are a bit melodramatic. But Grey’s story still captured this reader’s imagination with its sense of drama, almost non-stop action, and bold characters. I was reminded of the many western movies I watched with my Daddy in the ‘50s and ‘60s. They were exciting and the good guys always won. Clearly those movies (and other books of the genre) had Grey’s strong foundation on which to build. I’m glad I finally read it.

The digital audio available through my library’s Overdrive system was read by John Bolen. I was not a great fan of his delivery, which seemed overly dramatic to me. I might have enjoyed this better had I read the text. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jun 7, 2019 |
Though a reader's patience will well be tested by Jane Withersteen,
Zane Grey's lush descriptions of Utah's wilderness carry the rather slow moving plot to a bunch of rip roaring endings.

"...and clouds of yellow dust drifted under the cottonwoods out over the sage."

"...a sharp clip-crop of iron shod hoofs deadened and died away." ( )
  m.belljackson | Aug 3, 2018 |
This was my first experience with a classic western by Zane Grey ... and my last if I have anything to say about it. I'm just not into westerns. I don't have much else to say other than it's not my thing - I don't like the environment, the 'cowboy' perspective, etc. etc. I tried. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 1, 2018 |

Zane Greyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bramhall, MarkNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mitchell, Lee ClarkIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
A sharp clip-clop of iron-shod hoofs deadened and died away, and clouds of yellow dust drifted from under the cottonwoods out over the sage.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100623, 1400109175

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,193,002 books! | Top bar: Always visible