The Serpent of Venice

by Christopher Moore

Series: Pocket of Dog Snogging (2)

"Venice, a long time ago. Three prominent Venetians await their most loathsome and foul dinner guest, the erstwhile envoy from the Queen of Britain: the rascal-Fool Pocket.This trio of cunning plotters--the merchant, Antonio; the senator, Montressor Brabantio; and the naval officer, Iago--have lured Pocket to a dark dungeon, promising him an evening of spirits and debauchery with a rare Amontillado sherry and Brabantio's beautiful daughter, Portia. But their invitation is, of course, bogus. The wine is drugged and the girl is not even within the city limits. Desperate to rid themselves once and for all of the man who has consistently foiled their grand quest for power and wealth, they have lured him to his death. (How can such a small man, be such a huge obstacle?). But this Fool is no fool and he has more than a few tricks (and hand gestures) up his sleeve. Greed, revenge, deception, lust, and a giant (but lovable) sea monster combine to create another hilarious and bawdy tale from modern comic genius, Christopher Moore"-- "William Shakespeare meets Edgar Allan Poe in New York Times bestselling author Christopher Moore's THE SERPENT OF VENICE! Oh, yeah, and everyone's favorite fool, Pocket of Dog Snogging, is back, too"--… (more)

I had absolutely no idea what this book was about before I put a hold on the audiobook at my library. All I knew was it was Christopher Moore and that was enough for me. I knew I'd love it. My faith was amply rewarded with a deliciously Moore-ish (pun totally intended... Othello is one of the stories folded into this novel) romp. Christopher Moore is somehow able to be vulgar and raunchy and hilarious but also poetic and philosophical. One of my favorite things I've read in a long time. ( )
  Jessica_Olin | Sep 17, 2020 |
History, humour, depth -- plus intrigue, sex, and wit -- I am not a huge fan of the man we call Shakespeare but Moore had me liking him just a bit, more. Oh, the audio-book version? FABULOUS! ( )
  SleepyBooksandCakes | Aug 22, 2020 |
My review of this book can be found on my Youtube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Jul 16, 2020 |
Always a big fan of Moore. Following the adventure of the Fool has been more fun than ever with this second installment. ( )
  VoodooYeager | Jun 4, 2020 |
Moore, Christopher. The Serpent of Venice. Fool No. 2. William Morrow, 2014.
If you are the sort of reader who insists your Shakespeare be clean, pure, and reverent, what are you doing reading Christopher Moore, anyway? This second installment in the adventures of Moore’s version of Lear’s Fool is even bawdier, more mashed up, and irreverent than the first one. Taken with the fact that Shakespeare set Othello and The Merchant of Venice in Venice and that the characters in Poe’s “The Cask of Amontillado” all have Italian-sounding names, he decided to put them together, move them back in time, and make them sequels to King Lear. Well, why not? While he was at it, to give the novel the one element it might lack, he brought on a horny, hungry sea serpent named Viv to dispatch extraneous characters and shag others when needed. The only thing he left out was Mark Twain’s Royal Nonesuch to perform it. Maybe next time. FYI: stick around for Moore’s Afterword. Amazing. ( )
  Tom-e | May 21, 2020 |
Yet Moore on his worst day is still an excellent writer, and there are passages of prose — Pocket’s defense of Othello and the entire Pound-of-Flesh trial — that sparkle with Moore’s trademark wit and intelligence.

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gerj, SlavaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Johnson, AdamCover art and designsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The stage is a mythical late-thirteenth-century Italy, where independent city-states trade and war with one another.
I'm sure, by now, you've thought, "I've read Othello and The Merchant of Venice, and try as I may, I do not remember the part about a fool knobbing a dragon; perhaps I should give them another look." (Afterword)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,907,401 books! | Top bar: Always visible