Sweet Revenge by Rebecca Zanetti

Series: Sin Brothers (2)

10020173,607 (4.1)None

Sweet Revenge
4 Stars

Matt Dean, a genetically engineered soldier and former member of a special black ops team, is searching for the woman who can save his life and those of his brothers. All clues lead to Charming, Idaho, a small town that seems to attract women on the run, including Laney Jacobs, the bar owner with a troubled past who brings out all of Matt’s protective instincts. But Matt and Laney have little time for romance when their secrets begin to catch up with them.

As the oldest of the Dean brothers, Matt has taken it upon himself to do what needs to be done in order to protect his siblings often at the expense of his own needs. Consequently, his acting on his attraction to Laney, the first selfish move he has ever made, is all the more intense and emotional.

Laney is an exceedingly likable heroine mainly due to her tendency toward picking up and caring for stray people and animals. Interestingly enough, despite her secrets and the potential for a huge conflict between them, there is very little angst in Laney and Matt's relationship and their romance is good despite the insta-love trope.

As in the first installment, the plot is quite complex with several parallel threads including Matt’s search for the missing doctor, Laney's stalker and the threat posed by the Commander and his minions. On the whole, these storylines are all well developed with a surprising twist or two. Nevertheless, there are one or two questionable moments that require some suspension of disbelief, especially Matt’s injury at the end.

Overall, a fast-paced and action packed romantic suspense read and I’m looking forward to seeing how things work out for the Dean brothers. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Fast and entertaining read. I love the dynamics between Laney and Matt, with them not knowing each other and then after everything turned upside down for them. I absolutely can't believe that huge bomb in the freaking epilogue! ( )
  msralways | Apr 20, 2017 |
And the plot thickens. I really liked the entire book but the ending and then the sneak peak at the next book were my favorite parts.

Little background about the series: Born and raised in a military camp 4 young boys each with differently super human capabilities were forced to train to be killers. They plotted there escape as adults and have been in hiding ever since trying to bring down the whole organization.
(possible spoilers if you haven’t read the first book)
Matt Dean is the oldest of the 4 and he has been protecting them all his life. In their continued search for the Dr that implanted them Matt has landed in Charmed, Idaho where they thing the Dr is. Outside of a bar in an alley Matt meets the owner of the bar and is not only immediately attracted to her but sees her as his cover while he tries to figure out which woman in the town is who he is looking for.

Laney Jacobs is a woman you can tell has some secrets she is hiding and the one thing she doesn’t need to is be attracted to a man when she may have to run at anytime. She also seems to have attracted a stalker that may be escalating.

As with the first book there are two story lines going on at the same time and how these two merged was a surprise. The author does a great job of giving us a little more of the puzzle pieces as we get each brother’s story but still leaves us with the overall cliffhanger that was started in the first book.

Now the next book in the series should give us a lot more information and Nathan’s sneak peak at the back of this book was torture knowing I’m going to have to wait until next year to read…
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
I want to bring Matt home ( mine!) - I loved his alpha attitude and handling of Laney. I also loved that Laney wasn’t a wimpy TSTL female, standing up for herself, and caring for others with a passion.

The chemistry, the love, lust, & romance between Matt & Laney was HOT.

Good story, with intriguing side plot.

kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |
Shane, Matt and Nate are back, and the clock is still ticking. The chips embedded in their spines will detonate in six weeks if they can't disable or remove them, and Matt is hot on the heels of the surgeon he believes implanted them. The trail has led him to the quiet town of Charmed, and the lovely bar owner definitely has him charmed. Falling for his boss who has secrets of her own puts him off his game, until her life is threatened and his protective instincts take over. But will he still feel protective and smitten once he discovers what she's been hiding?

I loved Matt and Laney and their somewhat bumpy road down romance lane. I definitely enjoyed their story more than Shane and Josie's. Even though Laney knew that her mysterious and handsome employee and temporary tenant could wreck havoc on her life and heart, she couldn't resist him. Not that she really tried which made their interaction very sexy and endearing. I sympathized with her and her desire to be wanted and loved. To connect with someone who liked her and wanted to protect her. Aside from being sweet and compassionate, she was also independent and (hallelujah!) not a drama queen. I thoroughly enjoyed the absence of self pity or a low self esteem. She accepted the consequences of getting involved with Matt without feelings of inadequacy or fearing rejection, and she didn't run from her evolving feelings. I do like when characters are mature enough to lay the cards on the table and see where the chips fall.

Matt was so sexy, with his slightly dominant nature, his devotion to his brothers and sister-in-law, but also caring about people in general. In case you haven't read the first book, Matt and his brothers were genetically engineered and raised by the whack jobs who created them. Trained in all forms of combat since childhood, these (now) men have gone through hell until their escape a few years prior. They're not emotionally stunted or incapable of love. In fact they have an abundance of it, for each other. When they fall, they fall hard and fast. The women who manage to capture their hearts make them whole and give them even more of a reason to fight and to live. I kind of love the thread that runs through this story of finding love and committing to another person even though they may not have much longer to live. It's just one of those things, like, “Better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.” (From Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem In Memoriam:27, 1850).

The story had a great pacing and a nice balance of romance versus action. And there is no shortage of action. The love scenes were all sizzling hot (fans self). I also like the few flashbacks to the times the boys were in (captivity) training. If you're new to the series, I think the flashbacks will help you understand the heroes without having read the first book. The writing is really good and all the characters are fleshed out, even down to the villains. They were so depraved, I wanted to rip them out of the pages and stuff them in the garbage disposal. I'm not sure why Laney bothered to learn a little self defense from Matt since the three times she was attacked, she ended up not being able to defend herself. But that's just a very minor complaint or observation. This series continues to grow on me, and the teaser for Nate's story at the end already has me salivating for more.

The bottom line: Pick up this action-packed book and fall in love with the heroes as they wage war with a ruthless enemy in an attempt to save their lives, find their presumably dead baby brother and keep their promises of a HEA with the women they love.

Disclaimer: I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley for the purpose of an honest review. The views and opinions expressed in this review are my own, and in no way represent the views or opinions of the publisher/distributor. ( )
  MsRomanticReads | Jan 22, 2016 |

Rebecca Zanettiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crystal, ShannonCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
White, KarenReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Southern Tennessee Hills
Twenty Years Ago

Matt stood at attention, the cold block walls sending chills to his bones.

From Amazon.com:

The One Man She Can't Have

The One Woman He Can't Resist

Matt Dean was born to fight . . . and kill. A member of a secret black-ops military unit, he and his brothers were genetically engineered by the government to be the perfect soldiers with an expiration date. Now, with time running out, he's gone rogue in a relentless quest for the one person who can save them. His mission leads him to Charmed, Idaho . . . and to a beautiful woman with eyes like emeralds and a body made for pleasure. Laney Jacobs knows the mysterious, handsome stranger is trouble from the moment he walks into her bar, looking for a job. She's spent years running from her own past-the last thing she needs is a romantic entanglement. But Matt's strong arms offer her protection and his gentle touch promises passion unlike anything she's ever known. As lethal forces surround them, revealing explosive secrets about Matt's past and putting everything-and everyone-he holds dear in danger, can he save them all before time runs out?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,233,660 books! | Top bar: Always visible