Redefining Realness: My Path to Womanhood, Identity, Love & So Much More

by Janet Mock

"In a landmark book, an extraordinary young woman recounts her coming-of-age as a transgender teen--a deeply personal and empowering portrait of self-revelation, adversity, and heroism. In 2011, Marie Claire magazine published a profile of Janet Mock in which she publicly stepped forward for the first time as a trans woman. Since then, Mock has gone from covering the red carpet for People.com to advocating for all those who live within the shadows of society. Redefining Realness offers a bold new perspective on being young, multiracial, economically challenged, and transgender in America. Welcomed into the world as her parents' firstborn son, Mock set out early on to be her own person--no simple feat for a young person like herself. She struggled as the smart, determined child in a deeply loving, yet ill-equipped family that lacked money, education, and resources. Mock had to navigate her way through her teen years without parental guidance but luckily with a few close friends and mentors she overcame extremely daunting hurdles. This powerful memoir follows Mock's quest for identity, from her early gender conviction to a turbulent adolescence in Honolulu that found her transitioning through the halls of her school, self-medicating with hormones at fifteen, and flying across the world for sex reassignment surgery at just eighteen. Ever resilient, Mock emerged with a scholarship to college and moved to New York City, where she earned her masters degree, basked in the success of an enviable career, and told no one about her past. It wasn't until Mock fell for a man who called her the woman of his dreams that she felt ready to finally tell her story, becoming a fierce advocate for girls like herself. A profound statement of affirmation from a courageous woman, Redefining Realness shows as never before what it means to be a woman today and how to be yourself when you don't fit the mold created for you"--… (more)

Wow...just incredible. I enjoyed listening to Mock tell the story of her youth growing up trans. This was one of those books that addressed questions I never knew I had. I want the world to be flooded with the voices of trans people. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
I loved this book for its realness, and love Janet Mock for her strength and courage. She is a woman who is driven to be absolutely authentic and to follow her own path regardless of who or what stands in her way. The book itself was a bit of a disappointment as I couldn't feel her soul in the writing.

Nevertheless, this is a book to consider reading as despite lack of money, cultural norms that conflicted with her own, alienation from some family members, and judgment and lack of acceptance by some important people in her life, this powerful woman refused to compromise herself for her own dreams and visions. ( )
  njinthesun | Feb 6, 2021 |
Oh my goodness this was SO good. I almost don't know what to say. I'll be adding this title to my digital library. I can't imagine a reality in which I won't be rereading this. ( )
  LoisSusan | Dec 10, 2020 |
Review pending... ( )
  nfulks32 | Jul 17, 2020 |
Audiobook version. I like the autobiography bits a lot, but all the 101 stuff is exhausting and the sudden paragraphs of statistics are jarring. ( )
  pnppl | May 20, 2020 |

Janet Mockprimary authorall editionscalculated
Putorti, JillDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tredwell, AaronCover photographsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vairo, JohnCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You become strong by doing the things you need to be strong for. This is the way genuine learning takes place. That's a very difficult way to live, but it also has served me. It's been an asset as well as a liability.

--Audre Lorde

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,161,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible