The Loathly Lady by John Lawson

The Loathly Lady

by John Lawson

WHAT DO WOMEN MOST DESIRE? Young squire Brandywine believes he knows the answer to this riddle. He has always been a favorite with the damsels, excelling in jousting, drinking, and romance. But when an ancient and powerful force threatens his kingdom and this riddle becomes the means of defeating the enemy, he learns just how wrong he is. There are many women in his life, each with her own desire, but only the Loathly Lady holds the riddle's true answer. To save his kingdom and become the hero, dare he pay her price? Rooted in the old Celtic myths and the chivalry tales of King Arthur's court, The Loathly Lady is a breathtaking epic fantasy from a major new talent.… (more)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I would give it 3.5 stars.
---
It was an interesting story to say the least. Poor Brandywine had a very hard time transitioning from playboy to chivalrous knight. There really was no easy path to being a legendary knight. Filled with betrayal and deceit throughout a short 4 months, always expect the unexpected! Knights/squires participating in tournaments, saving damsels and battling dragons, they are all there in this story. I rather enjoyed Brandywine's journey. Although that whole Darkblood thing really threw my out of the story somewhat, but I can deal with it...once I get past that grotesque visualization. It was a very interesting fantasy world that the author has created, and clearly inspired by the legends of King Arthur and Celtic myths.

Would have loved to read about what happens to the kingdoms and Brotherhood afterwards, but I suppose that is a hint to what the next book is about.

It took a long time but I finally started to enjoy the story. I had the e-book version so I wasn't aware of the glossary of terms at the end of the book. So while trying to read the bulk of the story, I was lost most of the time and started skimming through a lot of the story and taking guesses as to what's going on. And on that note, I had to look up words like on like every page, which I did not appreciate all that much. So I took half star off because of all the unfamiliar words, I really did try to catch on but it's hard. The other issue I had was we don't really get to know more about the Loathly Lady, except she is extremely powerful but limited. Like why do the children surround her? Where did she get this power? Why was she cursed? Why save Brandywine? Too much about her is left unanswered. I mean the Loathly Lady might be part of a myth but I would love to get to know her beyond a one dimensional character.

Overall, the story was enjoyable and filled with fantasies. But this book is clearly not for me. ( )
  Dream24 | Jan 6, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A great high fantasy, except there were a few point that made no sense. First, the title does not really work; second, the beginning starts with someone telling a story, but that gets forgotten about a quarter of the way through; finally, there was a secondary character who does some strange things but his motive is never explained. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Dec 6, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought this would be an enjoyable knights and maidens mediaeval-style fairy tale, and it may well be, but I can't read it. It has too many words in it that I don't recognise or understand. At first I thought it may have been incorrectly coded - it's an ebook - but, having read some other reviews, I realise it's intentional. I discovered the glossary but there is too much that I need to look up to enable me to read the book with any ease or enjoyment and I have abandoned it after 110 pages (20%). ( )
  CDVicarage | Jul 1, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This seems like it could be a really good story, but I'm having a heck of a time getting into it. DNF at the 20 % point.

It's reading experiences like this that really make me miss having a dead-tree copy of a book. Ebooks just do not give you the opportunity to flip a novel open at random and snag your attention on some random scene, sparking the urge to start the book over.

I sincerely want to to give this one another try. No rating at present.
  MyriadBooks | Feb 24, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as an early review copy and I just couldn't get into it. I will probably give it another try at some point.
  njl145 | Jan 27, 2014 |

WHAT DO ALL WOMEN DESIRE?

Rooted in the old Celtic myths and the chivalry tales of King Arthur’s court, The Loathly Lady is a breathtaking epic fantasy from a major new talent.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

John Lawson's book The Loathly Lady was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,674,699 books! | Top bar: Always visible