The Rose & The Sword: How to Balance Your Feminine and Masculine Energies

by Judith Bach

532,412,449 (3.33)None
A unique combination of fiction and self-development, this book invites the reader to enter a realm of modern and fantasy tales that stimulate both mind and feelings. Each tale addresses different aspects of the feminine and masculine energies that exist beyond gender and sexual identity in each one of us. At the end of each story is a psychological commentary that provides a deeper understanding of the chapter's subject and an exercise to begin the process of integrating the energies highlighted in the chapter.… (more)

I would like to first thank Judith Bach, Nannette Hucknall, and LibraryThing’s giveaway program for my copy of the book.

I thought this was a well-written book. It is constructed as a series of parable-like fictional case studies, followed by commentary and either meditative or active exercises to apply the lesson of each chapter. I haven’t yet had the time to try the exercises, but they seem quite useful and well within the abilities of even someone relatively new to the self-reflective experience.

Initially, I was thinking that the examples were a little too heavy-handed, but as the lessons unfolded, I grew to really appreciate the nuanced ways in which one could approach one’s own self-development or the growth of oneself within a relationship.

I am actually quite surprised that so few people have read/reviewed the book up to this point. I think it is much more understandable and ‘do-able’ that some of the other relationship books out on the market, and I will try to post reviews on Goodreads and Amazon, at the very least. ( )
  Kimberlynwm | Mar 17, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book employs a large variety of short tales to illustrate how the positive and negative aspects of masculine and feminine energy are at work in our lives. While some tales waver between the more realistic (e.g. the story of a disgruntled worker who feels his life has stalled) to the more fantastic, the reader is sure to find some aspect of his or her life mirrored in at least some of the tales. At the end of the tale, the story and symbols employed are examined and explained. A brief exercise that directs your attention deeper into the theme follows.

I thought the tales would be a bit more subtle; as it were, many are very direct and there's not a lot of room for questioning what's good/bad. For example, in the second tale, "A Walk in the Shadows," Lillith (the negative feminine) first appears as a beautiful woman, then turns into a wolf-woman creature, then transforms into a toad and then into an old crone. She's bad and make no mistake! This isn't necessarily a negative aspect--just something I noted. ( )
  Fules_Portrait | Dec 30, 2013 |
Loved the combination of self-development and presentation of fiction to show an example of how the ideas would look! This is a very meaningful book. The exercises were very helpful as I went along reading the book. ( )
  miss_melissa | Dec 18, 2013 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Judith Bach's book The Rose and the Sword: How to Balance Your Feminine and Masculine Energies was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,777,370 books! | Top bar: Always visible