The Girl With All The Gifts by M. R. Carey

The Girl With All The Gifts (edition 2014)

by M. R. Carey

Series: Hungry Plague (1)

4,5503652,111 (4)402
Not every gift is a blessing. Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite. But they don't laugh. Melanie is a very special girl.… (more)
Member:psutto
Title:The Girl With All The Gifts
Authors:M. R. Carey
Info:Orbit (2014), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2014 challenge

Work Information

The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey

Recently added byArena800, KMAL, LoriForest, private library, murfman, chrisallenweber, 26sceneviva

English (364)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (367)
Die ersten und die letzten Seiten des Buches sind meiner Meinung nach hervorragend. Es sind die Seiten dazwischen, die das Buch 2 Sterne kosten.

Die Ausgangssituation ist sehr vielversprechend, der Ort an dem die kleine Melanie festgehalten wird faszinierend. Dieser wird leider nur all zu schnell aufgegeben, um die Protagonisten auf eine Reise zu schicken, die weder mit Melanies noch mit Miss J oder Gallaghers zielen vereinbar ist. "Beacon" ist die Notlösung, die keiner von ihnen will, was dem ganzen Abenteuer von Anfang an jegliche Hoffnung nimmt. Soll ich den mitfiebern und hoffen, dass die Crew nach Beacon kommt, um dort ein unglückliches Leben zu führen? Dass Melanie seziert wird und miss J sich den rest ihres Lebens vorwürfe macht?

Das Ende kommt zu abrupt und raubt dem Ganzen eine gewisse Glaubwürdigkeit, die durchaus hinzukriegen gewesen wäre, fast wie bei diesem Review.

Eine nette kleine Dystopie mit sehr viel Potential, das leider nicht ausgenutzt wurde. ( )
  Jadelina | Aug 20, 2022 |
this is a fascinating new take on a heavily reworked type of story, and I loved the ending. It's very similar to "I am Legend" in that the old world has to die, and to see that it is dying, to make way for the new. I especially loved that Dr. Caldwell thinks she is handing over her findings to Melanie to save the world, and that she will get the recognition she thinks she deserves, but all she's doing is sealing humanity's fate.

My only issue was that the characters sometimes seemed to border on the stereotypical: tough veteran soldier guy, rookie soldier guy, matronly teacher lady, heartless scientist. They were given believable motivations for their actions, but sometimes those motivations were long in being revealed and you just had to accept that they were acting in ridiculous ways and hope there was a reason for it and not just "that's what scientists/soldiers/women do," etc. I was mostly satisfied with the final picture I got of these people, and they felt more well-rounded at the end.

Also, I started reading this before the school year had finished, so I was waiting for the chance to really get into it. As the first non-academic book of the summer, it was a good choice.
  J.Flux | Aug 13, 2022 |
I am not a zombie move fan. I don't watch them. I have no interest at all, in zombie or undead related television shows, comics or media of any kind. But, this book has been in my peripheral and on my mind for a while now, either via random things posted by friends or the movie with the same title (which my husband watched. And, admittedly, I didn't.) But the idea of the movie was interesting enough that I decided to pick up the book.

I am really glad that I did. Such fantastic writing from all viewpoints of all characters. Wasn't the ending I was expecting either, bitter sweet.

I was pleasantly surprised by this book and am glad I read it. ( )
  HotPinkMess | Jul 31, 2022 |
I usually stay away from books like this, but i was intrigued by this one. Once i started it i found it hard to put down. Melanie got under my skin. I couldnt stop thinking about her, what she was and how in the world this was going to end. I thought The Girl With All The Gifts was amazing. ( )
  Hamptot71 | Jul 18, 2022 |
Thought provoking, and well-plotted out. This book always knew where it was going, and it went in an interesting direction. Definitely not your typical zombie book. ( )
  mvolz | Jul 10, 2022 |
One of the more imaginative and ingenious additions to the dystopian canon.
added by rretzler | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 15, 2014)

Comics writer Carey (Lucifer) delivers an entertaining take on several well-worn zombie tropes
added by rretzler | editPublishers Weekly (pay site) (Apr 14, 2014)

M. R. Careyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Spilling, DuncanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, FintyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Lin, who opened the box
Her name is Melanie.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

M. R. Carey's book The Girl with All the Gifts was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,249,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible