The Girl With All The Gifts by M. R. Carey

The Girl With All The Gifts (edition 2014)

by M. R. Carey

Series: Hungry Plague (1)

Not every gift is a blessing. Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite. But they don't laugh. Melanie is a very special girl.… (more)
Member:psutto
Title:The Girl With All The Gifts
Authors:M. R. Carey
Info:Orbit (2014), Hardcover, 416 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:2014 challenge

The Girl with All the Gifts by M. R. Carey

English (334)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (337)
This book is insane. So good. It takes the idea of zombies and applies science in the most sensible way possible. The storyline is wonderful with twists that really keep you reading until the end. 10/10 would read again. ( )
  mrortiz | Jun 7, 2021 |
I'm a sucker for dystopian environments, and this one hit the sweet spot of optimism coupled with grit and a high level look at why the world is the way it is. The star of the story is the relationship between Melanie, a 10 year old genius girl, and her teacher. Melanie doesn't know it, but a fungal infection has taken over the worlds, and taken over her. It has turned the worlds population into "hungries" -- zombies. The story unfolds as Melanie learns how she is different, and how she can fit into this new world.

I've watched a lot of zombie movies, TV shows and post-apocalyptic tales, and this one holds up. I'm excited to see a movie is in the works set to release in 2016! ( )
  adamfortuna | May 28, 2021 |
Ok, that was a fun read. I've not read a load of zombie books but I felt like it was a pretty original way to approach it. Any of my friends who enjoy zombie books in the slightest will very likely have a good time with this one. ( )
  amcheri | May 25, 2021 |
Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book made my head hurt. A lot. I have no idea how to rate it. I want to give the author points for the image of mini Hannibal Lechters I got in my head while reading it. It's a neat twist on zombies but at the same time the entire book was just not my thing. I don't know what my expectations were but this was definitely not for me. Note to self, pure sci fi is not for you. ( )
  Stacie-C | May 8, 2021 |
A zombie apocalypse that is better than most. ( )
  gbelik | Apr 29, 2021 |
One of the more imaginative and ingenious additions to the dystopian canon.
added by rretzler | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 15, 2014)

Comics writer Carey (Lucifer) delivers an entertaining take on several well-worn zombie tropes
added by rretzler | editPublishers Weekly (pay site) (Apr 14, 2014)

M. R. Careyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Spilling, DuncanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, FintyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

For Lin, who opened the box
Her name is Melanie.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

M. R. Carey's book The Girl with All the Gifts was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,210,325 books! | Top bar: Always visible