The Girl With All the Gifts by M. R. Carey

The Girl With All the Gifts (edition 2015)

by M. R. Carey (Author)

2,0781953,190 (4)241
Member:Gushle
Title:The Girl With All the Gifts
Authors:M. R. Carey (Author)
Info:Orbit (2015), Edition: Reprint, 448 pages

The Girl With All the Gifts by M. R. Carey

English (198)  German (1)  All (199)
E' il primo libro che tratta di zombie. Devo dire che non è affatto male,non posso dire se è originale o meno dato che non ne ho mai letti ma è una lettura piacevole e avvincente ( )
  Angela.Me | Jun 10, 2017 |
I would give 2 stars for the writing and 4 stars for the concept. 4 stars definitely for the setting, pacing and basic characters of the story. What caused the zombie-ism, the spreading of the virus and so on, that I found great. However, 2 stars for the writing itself and the character development, both which I found to leave a lot to be desired. There was so much scope for more depth to the characters and several of the relationships that were simply missing or just quite shallow.
I enjoyed the plot and the characters - despite the shallowness of their definition - and I enjoyed the ending. ( )
  Aula | Jun 5, 2017 |
Very good idea, which then goes nowhere. A fairly long book with few characters, and none managing to hold my interest, so I read it for the plot. Not a lot happens, actually. Still, it was ok. ( )
  HerrRau | Jun 4, 2017 |

The unofficial queen of our book group is a tiny Californian with a loud voice and a taste for musicals. Her friend is a quiet wine-conisseur who appreciates thoughtful novels. Neither of them like science-fiction, much less dystopian fiction. Neither one of them would ever binge-watch Orphan Black. However, they’re with me on this novel.
That’s because The Girl with All the Gifts is inspired. It lays aside the tired old tropes of mutants versus humans, letting the reader gradually gain insight into the situation. It’s quietly horrifying, sad, shocking, and occasionally inspiring. It’s never gratuitously bloody. Carey deftly handles different characters, letting us experience the world through their very different perspectives. Call me prejudiced, but I was surprised to find out the author was a man, since he wrote believable female characters.
I was pleased the ending was not a set up for a series. The resolution surprised me, and yet, it seemed inevitable in retrospect. Was the right choice made? Read it and give some thought to that yourself.
  AuthorGabrielle | May 28, 2017 |
So, I saw the movie before I read the book. Although I already knew how this was going to end...that surprisingly didn't ruin the book at all for me! Melanie really makes this book. Her POV draws you into the story and keeps you hooked. I honestly didn't know whether to love her or be terrified of her but I completely understood the logic behind her decision at the end of the book. This is a must read for all horror/psychological thriller lovers. ( )
  DMPrice | May 22, 2017 |

M. R. Careyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Spilling, DuncanCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Williams, FintyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lin, who opened the box
Her name is Melanie.

Not every gift is a blessing. Every morning, Melanie waits in her cell to be collected for class. When they come for her, Sergeant Parks keeps his gun pointing at her while two of his people strap her into the wheelchair. She thinks they don't like her. She jokes that she won't bite. But they don't laugh. Melanie is a very special girl. Emotionally charged and gripping from beginning to end, The girl with all the gifts is the most powerful and affecting thriller you will read this year.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

M. R. Carey's book The Girl with All the Gifts was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,079,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible