Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse

Before We Met (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Lucie Whitehouse

2941964,870 (3.27)6
When her husband disappears during a business trip to the U.S., Hannah, who believes she has married the perfect man, begins to have doubts when his co-workers tell a different story, prompting her to dig into his life, which unexpectedly leads her to a place of violence and fear.
Member:RBLaycock
Title:Before We Met
Authors:Lucie Whitehouse
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (2014), Paperback, 288 pages
Tags:fiction

Before We Met by Lucie Whitehouse (2014)

English (18)  Italian (1)  All languages (19)
This was pretty good for a mystery/thriller type book! I don't read many of them, but was definitely interested the whole time, and it kept me guessing. Some of the writing felt a little lazy, just in terms of word choice. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
This book is a roller coaster ride of thinking you know what is happening to being completely thrown off track. I really enjoyed it for what it was a summer thriller.

It's my first real venture into this genre of marriage and mystery. The final twist kinda annoyed me, but by that point I could tell what was happening. ( )
  rabidgummibear | Nov 28, 2018 |
I liked this more in the beginning than I did by the time it ended. I put it down numerous times and wasn't really bothered by anything else that came up that prevented me from getting right back to it. This is a book I would have really loved in my twenties but did not find it a satisfying read now. I found this predictable and cliche and expected something more. There's nothing wrong with the story (like when you turn on Lifetime Movie Network, you know what you're going to get) but I do know that for me, it will be mostly forgettable. On the upside, I did get one more book off my TBR list. ( )
  anissaannalise | Feb 28, 2018 |
Lucie Whitehouse is a new author for me. I had read some reviews about Before We Met and a blurb that compared it to Gone Girl so that peeked my interest. The only comparison I saw was that it's about a married couple who had some secrets from each other which resulted in trust issues.

This is another British psychological suspense novel which I felt was a good read but it didn't blow me away. For one thing, the pacing was too slow. I had a hard time caring about the protagonist, Hannah, but there were enough twists and turn to keep me reading. ( )
  pegmcdaniel | Sep 28, 2016 |
It took me so long to get through this book. I kept getting annoyed and putting it down (which is why I had to return it--twice). It started off really slow for me, and I couldn't help but feel like something was off. Looking back that can be attributed to good writing on the author's part and I have to acknowledge that, however the story never really captivated me. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
For Joe, with my love
The rain was beating down, and out there, where the carriageway was exposed, the wind buffeted Hannah's old VW as if it were trying to push it off the road.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,704,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible