Can't and Won't: Stories by Lydia Davis

Can't and Won't: Stories (original 2014; edition 2014)

by Lydia Davis (Author)

A fifth collection by the author of the National Book Award finalist, Varieties of Disturbance, includes pithy one-liners, exploratory observations and letters of complaint, including "A Small Story About a Small Box of Chocolates," in which a professor is stymied by her choices.
Member:iSatyajeet
Title:Can't and Won't: Stories
Authors:Lydia Davis (Author)
Info:Farrar, Straus and Giroux (2014), Edition: 1st, 304 pages

Work Information

Can't and Won't by Lydia Davis (2014)

Liked, but not quite as much as her earlier stuff. ( )
  steve02476 | Jan 3, 2023 |
I'm glad Lydia Davis does her thing. I'm unsure we need 280 pages of it, and I'm starting to get a bit suspicious of people who talk about how she's the best thing since sliced bread. I'm starting to suspect that her work will be seen, in hindsight, as peak MFA writing. But also like reading a blog back when people still wrote blogs. ( )
  stillatim | Oct 23, 2020 |
Lydia Davis does the short, short story masterfully, as usual. This collection didn't resonate with me as much as her past ones, though. ( )
  alyssajp | Jul 29, 2019 |
Some of the stories, I liked. Others, I did not. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
When I liked the story, I really liked it.
But sometimes, I wondered if this was a story or an elaborate literary joke, like Finnegan's Wake.
Finnegan's Wake is basically trolling as literature.
I considered if my antipathy to some entries was jealousy of a naive sort: "Surely I could write something better than this!" And "I wish my three line stories were compared favorably to Proust."

I am not sure. I remain unsure. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |

Belongs to Publisher Series

Mirmanda (132)
For Daniel and Theo
and for Laura and Stephanie

very cute but for my taste a little but too cute

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,424,237 books! | Top bar: Always visible