The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth) by N. K.…

The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth) (edition 2015)

by N. K. Jemisin (Author)

Member:evareads
Title:The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth)
Authors:N. K. Jemisin (Author)
Info:Orbit (2015), Edition: Reprint, 512 pages
Tags:fantasy

The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin

English (165)  Dutch (1)  All languages (166)
Fantastic Read!

It took a while for me to really get into this book. I put it down and read something else. Then read reviews again to remind me of the reason that I bought it in the first place.
Everyone was right. This book was amazing!
It takes a while to really get into this world that she has created....and that’s because she has done such a great job. This world is so different from anything that I’ve read before.
It’s starts with a woman, Essun, who has discovered her son brutally beaten to death by her husband who has kidnapped her daughter. It’s the mother’s story that keeps me going. Through this history of the world of the Stillness, which is entering its Fifth Season.
There is so much description and detail in this book. But in a good way.
I can’t really say much more about the characters because it’s better to read and reach the revelation and then reveal.
Read this book. Keep plugging through. You won’t regret it and you will enjoy it. ( )
  tdpmoore | Aug 8, 2019 |
Great. SO great. Where-is-the-sixth-star great. A brutal and ruthless story about a brutal and ruthless world, but with such a human, engaging voice to its telling that one can't help but fall helplessly into it, even as one knows it's going to hurt like a monster, because nothing - NOTHING - about this world is kind. It is big and wondrous, a story about epic powers and huge cataclysms. But it's also intimate and gripping, a story about humanity and fear. It is an absolutely phenomenal story, and though it was really damn difficult to read as a new mother, it was worth every spasm of panic. ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
This is a hard book to summarize without revealing spoilers. Generally speaking it is fantasy dystopia about a world where seismic disaster has caused the end of the world, but we soon find out that ends are also beginnings. We follow the story of three women that are part of a society where some have the power to control the planet's seismic energy. Those with this power are needed to keep the world safe, but also feared and heavily controlled. When one such person finds her toddler son dead by the hand of her husband and her daughter taken away by him, she begins a journey through a dying world intent on finding her daughter. The book was beautiful, brutal, and unique. It is one of the few books I have read where part of the story is told in 2nd person - and it works. I am looking forward to the next book in this fascinating new world. ( )
  Cora-R | Jul 31, 2019 |
  Cora-R | Jul 31, 2019 |
This is hands down the best series I've read in ages ( )
  skyintist | Jul 31, 2019 |

N. K. Jemisinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Miles, RobinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Panepinto, LaurenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Elk tijdperk moet tot een einde komen.
For all those who have to fight for the respect that everyone else is given without question
Let's start with the end of the world, why don't we?  Get it over with and move on to more interesting things.
Dit is wat je moet onthouden: het einde van het ene verhaal
is alleen maar het begin van het volgende.
Dit is immers al eerder gebeurd. Mensen gaan door.
Oude ordes vergaan. Nieuwe samenlevingen worden geboren.
Als we zeggen dat 'de wereld is vergaan', is dat meestal een leugen, want de planeet maakt het prima.
Maar zo vergaat de wereld
Zo vergaat de wereld.
Zo vergaat de wereld.
Voor de laatste keer.

Three terrible things happen in a single day.

Essun, masquerading as an ordinary schoolteacher in a quiet small town, comes home to find that her husband has brutally murdered their son and kidnapped their daughter. Mighty Sanze, the empire whose innovations have been civilization's bedrock for a thousand years, collapses as its greatest city is destroyed by a madman's vengeance. And worst of all, across the heartland of the world's sole continent, a great red rift has been been torn which spews ash enough to darken the sky for years. Or centuries.

Three terrible things happen in a single day. Essun, masquerading as an ordinary schoolteacher in a quiet small town, comes home to find that her husband has brutally murdered their son and kidnapped their daughter. Mighty Sanze, the empire whose innovations have been civilization's bedrock for a thousand years, collapses as its greatest city is destroyed by a madman's vengeance. And worst of all, across the heartland of the world's sole continent, a great red rift has been torn which spews ash enough to darken the sky for years. Or centuries. But this is the Stillness, a land long familiar with struggle, and where orogenes -- those who wield the power of the earth as a weapon -- are feared far more than the long cold night. Essun has remembered herself, and she will have her daughter back. She does not care if the world falls apart around her. Essun will break it herself, if she must, to save her daughter.

N. K. Jemisin is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,269,552 books! | Top bar: Always visible