Thornwood House by Anna Romer

Thornwood House (2013)

by Anna Romer

When Audrey Kepler inherits an abandoned homestead in rural Queensland, she jumps at the chance to escape her loveless existence in the city and make a fresh start. In a dusty back room of the old house, she discovers the crumbling photo of a handsome World War Two medic - Samuel Riordan, the homestead's former occupant - and soon finds herself becoming obsessed with him. But as Audrey digs deeper into Samuel's story, she discovers he was accused of bashing to death a young woman on his return from the war in 1946. When she learns about other unexplained deaths in recent years - one of them a young woman with injuries echoing those of the first victim - she begins to suspect that the killer is still very much alive. And now Audrey, thanks to her need to uncover the past, has provided him with good reason to want to kill again.… (more)

English (6)  German (1)  All languages (7)
A story told in parallel from the 1940s to the 2000s. Audrey’s ex partner Tony commits ‘suicide’ and leaves her his old family homestead at Magpie Creek in Queensland, Australia. When Audrey and their 11-year-old daughter Bronwyn move there, Audrey becomes obsessed with the story of Tony’s grandfather, Samuel, and how he was accused of murdering Tony’s grandmother Aylish in 1946. Then, there is the 'accidental death' of Tony’s teenage sister Glenda in 1986. As Audrey explores old newspaper articles, photo’s, a diary and some old letters, might she be dabbling in family secrets that people don’t want uncovered, and putting herself and Bronwyn in the sights of a man who has been murdering for a very long time... A good read - a list of characters would have been useful. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Feb 5, 2019 |
I originally bought this just because it is set in Queensland, where I live, and it had a mystery. I loved it! It made me think, it made me laugh and yes, it made me cry. The story is told across two timelines, 1940s and the present, and the two intermingle. A good read. ( )
  jhullie | Mar 20, 2018 |
As Australian novels goes, this was a well-received one with our group. The storyline and plot kept us interested and with believable characters and an unpredictable conclusion, it ticked all the boxes for an enjoyable read.
Opinions did vary slightly when it came to the writing style though. Some felt the descriptive passages enhanced the story, providing a clear, well-defined image of the setting. Yet others found them a little too drawn out. A classic example of how different reader interpretation can work.
At times, the parallel stories (those of Audrey and Samuel), became a little muddled and mingled, so a clear head was needed, no wandering thoughts allowed! And although there were hints scattered throughout, if you were set on working out the mystery of Thornwood House, chances are you missed the boat. We know we did!

jody12 | Jan 27, 2017 |
This was an EXCELLENT read! A great mystery. Intertwined story of past and present had me on the edge of my seat! I admit that I figured it out... but 2nd guessed myself along the way.. Loved it - old houses, new love, old love, family secrets the making of a great book always! ( )
  booklovers2 | Nov 19, 2015 |

The multiple characters and their roles within the story brought to mind a few of our past reads and we felt there was a definite formula to Romer’s writing (that of rural relationships and secrets). In saying that, most of us are keen to read her newest novel Lyrebird Hill, and we welcome this author as a new and upcoming talent on the Australian fiction scene. ( )
  DaptoLibrary | Nov 17, 2014 |
To Sarah, For a lifetime of love, friendship and faith.... I am so glad you are my sister!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,150,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible