The Midnight Witch

by Paula Brackston

Series: The Witch (3)

"When the sixth Duke of Radnor dies, his hapless son, Freddie, takes on his title, but it is his daughter, Lilith, who inherits his role as Head Witch of the Lazarus Coven. Raised as a witch, instructed in the art of necromancy, Lilith faces a daunting future, for the coven is threatened by a powerful group of sorcerers, the Sentinels. Nicholas Stricklend, a powerful force in the British government, is the Sentinel charged with wresting the Elixir from Lilith, and he cares not who he must crush in order to succeed. As a society beauty, engaged to another titled witch, and with a grieving mother and an unstable brother to look after, Lilith struggles to maintain her two very different existences. When she meets and falls in love with the talented artist Bram Cardale, she can no longer keep her life as a witch hidden, and she must choose between her loyalty to the coven, her duty to her family, and her love for Bram, or risk destroying everything she holds dear. Paula Brackston's debut novel, The Witch's Daughter, was the little book that could--with a captivating story, remarkable heroine, and eye-catching package, it has sold more than 130,000 copies in all formats. The Midnight Witch is another enchanting tale of love and magic, featuring her signature blend of gorgeous writing, a decadent and intriguing historical backdrop, and a headstrong and relatable heroine for which readers will cheer"--… (more)

I have completely loved every novel that Paula Brackston has put out. I devoured The Witch's Daughter and absolutely adored The Winter Witch. While reading "The Midnight Witch" I felt as if a completely different author than Ms. Brackston wrote this.

This novel is about Lady Lilith Montgomery. Lilith lives in London in the Regency era it appears. She is beautiful and comes from a wealthy family. She is also a witch. Her recently deceased father was the Head Witch of the Lazarus Coven which practices necromancy. After her father's death Lilith is preparing to become Head Witch even though a new threat starts to move against her coven. Additionally, though Lilith is engaged to a fellow witch she finds herself being drawn to Bram who is a painted recently moved to London.

The plot of this novel really did sound interesting but I just think something fell apart in the final execution.

First, all of the parts of the novel dealing with Lilith's brother Freddie were just boring to me. I know why we needed that details due to events later in the book, but he was a strictly one dimensional character throughout the entire novel.

Second, the threat from the Sentinels was not scary at all to me. I needed to feel more fear for Lilith. I remember reading "The Winter Witch and being totally afraid for Morgana. The final scene with her fighting for her life was so well done. I don't know why I was not caught up in fear for Lilith while reading this. Instead I found myself just counting page until I could put the book away. Quick aside, I don't know why but every time I read Sentinels I started cracking up thinking about the Sentinels that tried to kill the mutants in the X-Men comic books. I doubt that Ms. Brackston was trying to call up that image for readers but that kept popping up in my head.

Third, I also think that having the novel told from the first person point of view for Lilith and then shifting back to third person points of view for Bram and another character in this novel did not work at all. I honestly think the book would have been stronger to have it told from first person the whole way through and completely cut out the other passages.

Fourth, there was way too much detail in this novel. You would be reading about Lilith preparing herself for going out and it would take two paragraphs due to the describing of what she had on and what she had to take off and her hair and undergarments and it just got to be too much information for me to process in a sitting.

I would definitely recommend "The Winter Witch" and "The Witches Daughter" but I would suggest readers pass on this novel if this is their first foray into Ms. Brackston's writing.

Please note that I received this novel for free via the Amazon Vine Program. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
"The Midnight Witch" in author Paula Brackston's darkly entertaining tale is Lady Lilith Radnor, society beauty, heiress, and witch. When her father, Lord Robert Montgomery, passes away, her brother Freddy inherits the title of the Duke of Radnor. However, Lilith, trained in the art of Necromancy, inherits a title all her own: Head Witch of the Lazarus Coven, Keeper of the Great Secret, and Guardian of the Elixir of Life. Lady Lily is also engaged to Viscount Louis Harcourt, another entitled witch. Lily and Louis have been friends since childhood, and their engagement was a match determined by their families. As Lily struggles to carry forth her father's legacy, care for her grieving mother, and bear up under her brother's personal issues, she is haunted by an evil presence bent on taking all she holds dear in order to gain the power and knowledge passed on from father to daughter. When Lily meets artist Bram Cardale, neither witch nor noble, she finds love, and with it comes the mesmerizing mix of joy and heartache only real love can bring. Taking place in early twentieth-century England, a poignant and fascinating setting, "The Midnight Witch" is both touching and tantalizing--a mix of sorcery and sentiment. Paula Brackston is also the author of "The Witch's Daughter" and "The Winter Witch".

Book Copy Gratis Amazon Vine ( )
  gincam | Oct 14, 2019 |
Lilith takes over as Head Witch for the Lazarus coven after her father's death. The coven is threatened by the Sentinels, a group of sorcerers who want the from the Lazarus coven the Elixir that can bring people back to life. Lilith also meet Bram a painter whom she falls in love with even though she is engaged to another witch.

For me, this book didn't work. The witch part was ok, in the beginning, but the love affair destroyed for me any chance of enjoying the book. It was so boring, so predictable, so annoying that I loathed every scene with Bram. If Paula Brackston had focused on the witches and their struggle with the sorceress it would have made the book better, well a bit better, the story was quite predictable and boring also in the end. The mole in the coven? I wasn't surprised a bit when he was reviled.

I skimmed the last part of the book just to get through with it and to be able to move on to something better. I loved the cover and the blurb was interesting to bad the book was so bad.

Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a free copy for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
A tale of a witch in WWI-era England - why, yes, this is exactly my cup of tea! After her father's death, Lilith becomes the Head Witch of the Lazarus coven and the one witch trusted with the secret of how to raise the dead. Dark forces are plotting to force her to reveal the secret, forces that may also come between her and her newfound love with a struggling artist. Fun reading, I definitely enjoyed picturing witches in turn-of-the-century clothing, and I liked how the ending felt satisfying. ( )
  wagner.sarah35 | Jan 12, 2018 |
This was an enjoyable read. The story was well written, but the story line was somewhat predictable. I admit that Ms. Brackston does add a couple surprises in that keeps you intrigued. ( )
  mcgeerhonda | Feb 28, 2017 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,702,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible