The Holdout by Laurel Osterkamp

The Holdout (edition 2013)

by Laurel Osterkamp

Series: Robin Bricker (1)

Member:ennie
Title:The Holdout
Authors:Laurel Osterkamp
Info:PMI Books (2013), Kindle Edition, 236 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:kindle, read

Work Information

The Holdout by Laurel Osterkamp

This review was written for LibraryThing Member Giveaways.
Interesting story about what it's like for a reality show contestant after she gets home and tries to settle back into everyday life. ( )
  PhDinHorribleness | Jan 20, 2015 |
*Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book for review by the author and Chick-Lit Plus blog tours and all opinions are my own.*

You don’t have to be a fan of the reality show ‘Survivor’ to enjoy Laurel Osterkamp’s novel “The Holdout’. This was a fascinating story about young woman and her strength to prove to her family that she’s not a child anymore, and her courage to stand up for what she believes in.

The story follows Robin, a recent contestant on the reality show, The Holdout. Robin is back home, trying to get on with her life, when she is summoned for jury duty. Knowing the show is about to air on national TV, she is hoping no one will recognize her and will be picked for the jury. As the show airs each week, she is forced to sit through each episode, watching with friends and family as she is literally made a fool of by another contestant who is using her to get ahead in the game.

I know that once a reality show is over, I usually don’t think about the contestants and what they have to endure once they get back to their everyday lives. In The Holdout, we get a glimpse of how things get twisted and how the media and social media can play a big part in tearing a person down. Robin is an amazing character, who holds herself together, and uses what she’s learned to succeed in proving to her family that she can hold her own.

This was really an enjoyable story. The story is easy to follow, with flashbacks to how things played out while the taping of the show. During all this, Robin is also on a jury and uses her strengths to stand up for what she believes in. The ending offers a bit of a twist that caught me off guard, but definitely held my attention. This is surely a book that I would recommend and already have to several of my friends. ( )
  Deannad414 | Jan 27, 2014 |
What more could a reader ask for than to have a story that includes a Survivor like Reality TV show with a journey of self-discovery and a little romance added into the mix? Well ... author Laurel Osterkamp does just that in her latest novel, The Holdout!

Author Laurel Osterkamp weaves an entertaining tale that is set in two places: Des Moines, Iowa and the Philippines, and told in the first person narrative with an alternating past/present timeline. The reader follows thirty-one year old Robin Bricker's journey as she competes on a Survivor like Reality TV show called The Holdout, where she competes against fifteen other "castaways" to be the last holdout to win the million dollar prize.

The reader gets to know Robin as the storyline switches from flashbacks of the past with the taping of her time on the Reality TV show, and the present time where Robin is trying to deal with the public humiliation as the show's weekly episodes are currently being aired. Robin tries to get her life back on track and does her best to blend in and not be recognized by fans of the show. Robin is selected for jury duty on a Federal Court civil case, where she will embark on a journey of self-discovery as she compares her time on the island with that of being on the jury, which will help her discover who she really is, grow and learn from her actions and the consequences from both life experiences.

I really enjoyed reading The Holdout, I think author Laurel Osterkamp did a wonderful job of cleverly interweaving the two storylines (Robin's time on the Reality TV show and as a juror in the Federal Court case), it kept me intrigued and turning the pages. The reader is provided with an entertaining behind the scenes look at what goes on in a Reality TV game show coupled with the realistic inner workings of the legal judicial system. The story is filled with humor, family dynamic issues, drama, romance, tension; trust and betrayal, and life lessons.

With a quirky and realistic cast of characters; quirky dialogue and dramatic interactions; a richly detailed description of the Philippine island and Reality TV game setting; and a cleverly well-written multi-layered storyline that easily draws the reader into the complexity of Robin's story; The Holdout is a thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable read!

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest review and participation in a virtual book tour event hosted by Chick Lit Plus Blog Tours.

http://jerseygirlbookreviews.blogspot.com/2014/01/the-holdout-by-laurel-osterkam... ( )
  JerseyGirlBookReview | Jan 20, 2014 |
I was contacted by the author and asked to review her newest book, THE HOLDOUT. Fans of the Reality TV Show, SURVIVOR will be drawn into the Osterkamp's version in her new novel. Since I am a huge SURVIVOR Geek, I was eager to read it and find out what it was all about. I was not disappointed. Reading it during the final week of this season's SURVIVOR also made for interesting parallels and I almost expected to see the book characters show up in the show this week!

Robin, a 31-year-old single girl from Iowa, decides to catch her moment in the spotlight by trying out for a spot on the reality series, THE HOLDOUT. She is chosen and when she tells her family, they surprise her with ridicule and insults. Their jokes only make her more determined to win the million dollars. What she doesn't realize is that the social game is harder than expected. Robin excels on the challenges and tries her best to play the game, but Grant, the hunky contestant with a sad back story makes Robin second guess herself and fall head over heels for a guy she barely knows. Jump forward to when the show actually airs on television and we go through the emotions again with Robin. Her friends and family, as well as the nation, watch the game play out on TV. Unfortunately, Robin isn't prepared for the phone calls, texts, tweets and message board's responses judging her every move. Robin tries to shut that all out while in her real life she is serving on a federal jury. Can she truly be impartial when the plaintiff's son reminds her of Grant from THE HOLDOUT who broke her heart? Is there such a thing as justice? Will Robin win THE HOLDOUT or will she end up winning something even more important?

I found the coincidences between the book THE HOLDOUT and the show SURVIVOR hilarious. From the scenario, the cast of characters, and the challenges to the show host and social dynamics, I found myself snickering and thinking back to previous seasons that reminded me of the characters in the book. Osterkamp is truly a SURVIVOR fan and has written a book for us to enjoy. I read the book quite quickly because you want to know how Robin fares in the show and then how her real life situation turns out as well.

This is a light read, but with great metaphorical writing. I ended up highlighting numerous quotes from the book to look back on. My favorite quote was one I have said myself a number of times:

"There's no better way to forget about how damaged your own life is than by watching someone else's stupid, even more damaged life on television. No wonder reality television is so popular."

If you are looking for a quick, light read and a little escape from the holiday stress, grab a copy of THE HOLDOUT and watch a uncertain, timid woman grow into a strong, self-assured woman as you travel through the pages in the book. You will be rooting for Robin the whole way through. I read this on my Kindle but it is also available in paperback. ( )
  Staciele | Dec 14, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Member Giveaways.
I rated this book a 4. I was not interested at first due to it being similar to Survivor, but then I am not a Survivor fan. However, seeing the two storylines merge and how the characted learned from what she experiened made the book very interesting. ( )
  dhhughey | Nov 20, 2013 |

Belongs to Series

Laurel Osterkamp is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,960,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible