dismiss

I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the…

by Malala Yousafzai, Christina Lamb

4,0002212,101 (4.09)1 / 187
When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley in Pakistan, one girl spoke out. Malala Yousafzai refused to be silenced and fought for her right to an education. On Tuesday, October 9, 2012, when she was fifteen, she almost paid the ultimate price. She was shot in the head at point-blank range while riding the bus home from school, and few expected her to survive. Instead, Malala's miraculous recovery has taken her on an extraordinary journey from a remote valley in northern Pakistan to the halls of the United Nations in New York. At sixteen, she has become a global symbol of peaceful protest and the youngest nominee ever for the Nobel Peace Prize. This is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, of a father who, himself a school owner, championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons. This story will make you believe in the power of one person's voice to inspire change in the world. -- Publisher's description.… (more)

English (210)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (220)
This was a really good book. It conveyed a large chunk of Pakistan history, but for the most part also conveyed that it was a child's view of her world. It is also very much the story of a family swept up in the fundamentalism of those around them and helpless to save their country from it's own trajectory. ( )
  Tip44 | Jun 30, 2020 |
Malala was raised with a father who encouraged and motivated his daughter to show interest in school. Which is why she started to fight for female education in her country. She was very passionate and refused to be silent about her education rights. But, on October 9, 2012, at only 15 years old, her life was changed. She was shot in the head when she was riding home on her bus from school. She didn't have a high chance of surviving, and nobody believed she would. But, somehow, she recovered. And at just 16, she became a symbol for peaceful protest and the youngest person ever nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.

I enjoyed reading about Malala because she was just an average, everyday student. But, in an instant she became an inspiration to millions. I think the main reason this inspires me is because there aren't many female figures out there fighting for the right to education, and other important issues. I think the main thing I can't wrap my head around is her getting shot. I just don't understand how a 15 year old girl gets shot. But, she recovered, and still managed to push her ideas and keep fighting for what she believed in. And I hope that one day I can do the same for people. It also goes to show that it doesn't matter what age, gender, race, or religion you are. You can still make a difference in society. Which I deeply admire. ( )
  MMcDonald.ELA2 | Mar 25, 2020 |
I enjoyed reading this book, though it wasn't always a pleasant read. Malala is an inspirational person in her bravery and commitment to education, despite the risks it brought her and her family.

There were two parts that stick out to me, a while after reading the book, the first was what Malala said about the dancer who was killed. People enjoyed her dancing, but they didn't respect her, and this goes for other people in society. People often like to enjoy the work of someone, without respecting the person for their work, whether it's people who liked to see the dancer dance, or people who enjoy clean spaces after others cleaned them, but still look down on the dancer or the cleaner or anyone who they think is in a lower position than them. It's a sad but true aspect of how people are, and I liked seeing Malala bring it up.

Secondly, the part about how after the earthquake (or was it the hurricane? My memory isn't very clear, it's been a while since I read the book), the first people to help were Islamist groups. It seems like an easy way to get people to like them or trust them. After all, even if they didn't agree with their ideas, then those people still helped them, and so they were more reliable than the government or anyone else to the people. ( )
  Layla212 | Mar 14, 2020 |
I read this book for the "A Book About A Current World Issue" part of my 2018 reading challenge. I really enjoyed it, it was extremely educational as I knew nothing about her culture or her country. I'm glad she persevered and is continuing to fight for the right to education. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
Somewhat disjointed writing, but certainly eye-opening about conditions in Pakistan. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |

Yousafzai, Malalaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamb, Christinamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Panjabi, ArchieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the girls who have faced injustice and been silenced. Together we will be heard.
When I was born, people in our village commiserated with my mother and nobody congratulated my father.
Prologue: I come from a country that was created at midnight.
Though we loved school, we hadn't realized how important education was until the Taliban tried to stop us.
The Taliban could take our pens and books, but they couldn't stop our minds from thinking.
Please do not combine abridged editions (including the 2016 Quick Reads edition) with this, the main unabridged work.

I Am Malala is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, of a father who, himself a school owner, championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons.
-Amazon

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,855,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible