I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the…

by Malala Yousafzai, Christina Lamb

4,3422301,994 (4.11)1 / 192
When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley in Pakistan, one girl spoke out. Malala Yousafzai refused to be silenced and fought for her right to an education. On Tuesday, October 9, 2012, when she was fifteen, she almost paid the ultimate price. She was shot in the head at point-blank range while riding the bus home from school, and few expected her to survive. Instead, Malala's miraculous recovery has taken her on an extraordinary journey from a remote valley in northern Pakistan to the halls of the United Nations in New York. At sixteen, she has become a global symbol of peaceful protest and the youngest nominee ever for the Nobel Peace Prize. This is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, of a father who, himself a school owner, championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons. This story will make you believe in the power of one person's voice to inspire change in the world. -- Publisher's description.… (more)

English (219)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (229)
This book excited me about Pakistan and it’s history. I had no idea of it’s lush beauty and bitter divisions. ( )
  mumoftheanimals | Jun 16, 2021 |
Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb are the writers of I Am Malala. I listened to the audiobook and the last disc is a PDF or pictures of her life as baby to the end of the story.

I read the reviews on another site, and I was shocked by the number of people who did not like this book. A few said they were bored and did not understand why she won the Nobel Peace Prize. A few did not understand why her life was her life was not ordinary.

Malada is married now and in lives in Portugal and London after recovering by being shot by the Taliban, she has never returned to Pakistan or her family. This book is banned in Pakistan and I think that speaks volumes. I continue to admire her frankness and courage and not understand why people cannot be bothered to read about her experiences and about what like under the Taliban is like for the woman and girls there.

I bought this audiobook because I wanted to know more of her story than I read in magazines ( )
  Carolee888 | May 15, 2021 |
I had some trouble with the early chapters that I think would have benefited from some tighter editing, but once the story focused on life under the Taliban and the amazing courage displayed by this family, I could not put the book down. I think this is a must-read for anyone -- the focus on everyday life and how it is disrupted and destroyed through ignorant power hungry men in the name of religion is not only a Pakistani story. ( )
  WiebkeK | Jan 21, 2021 |
This is a frank autobiography of a young woman's quest for education and equality in a country torn apart by war, violence, and religious extremism. While the tone is a bit uneven early in the book, it becomes stronger and more confident when discussing the activist facet regarding women's education. Malala's is a personable voice. I was inspired by her determination to better herself and her country through education. I recommend this book. ( )
  DrFuriosa | Dec 4, 2020 |
Great memoir for teens to read. very accessible with relatable concerns and attributes, regardless of one's cultural background. Lots of ways to connect the book to curriculum, engage in reflective reading, or just get a sense of a non-American culture and perspective. Inspirational. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Nov 22, 2020 |

Yousafzai, Malalaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamb, Christinamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Panjabi, ArchieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the girls who have faced injustice and been silenced. Together we will be heard.
When I was born, people in our village commiserated with my mother and nobody congratulated my father.
Prologue: I come from a country that was created at midnight.
Though we loved school, we hadn't realized how important education was until the Taliban tried to stop us.
The Taliban could take our pens and books, but they couldn't stop our minds from thinking.
Please do not combine abridged editions (including the 2016 Quick Reads edition) with this, the main unabridged work.

I Am Malala is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, of a father who, himself a school owner, championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons.
-Amazon

GenreThing

No genres

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,183,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible