I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for…

I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the…

by Malala Yousafzai, Christina Lamb

3,0831792,636 (4.08)1 / 165

English (168)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (178)
This is the autobiography of Malala, "the girl who was shot by the Taliban", writing from the safety of England where she is recovering from her injuries. She tells a harrowing story of her home valley of Swat, Pakistan, as it is taken over by Muslim fundamentalists who attempt to stop girls from being educated (among many other similarly disturbing policies). Malala (a top student at her school) and her father (an educator who runs her school, among others) become important spokespeople in favor of educating girls, while the Taliban embark on a campaign of terror and intimidation to try to stop them. Ultimately, after murdering a number of people she knows, a terrorist comes for Malala, who is already world-famous as a spokeperson, and shoots her in the face while she is returning from a school outing.

Malala is aided in her writing by a journalist, and though the book is chock full of history as well as current events, the writing doesn't always feel like it's authentically hers- I wonder how much was massaged by the journalist.

This book is often read by high school students, and I can understand why- it's an inspiring story of perseverance in the face of horrible danger. Malala and her father are amazing people. As literature, though, I find the book falls short. ( )
  DanTarlin | Sep 16, 2018 |
Fantastic, inspirational story about an amazing young lady. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
This well-narrated audiobook provides important historical background about Pakistan since partition from India and the secession of Bangladesh in relating the dramatic story of Malala's journey from sturdy schoolgirl to international spokesperson for girls' rights. I found most moving the account of Malala's family managing the dire circumstances of her care after she was shot. She is a truly remarkable figure. An inspiring, informative memoir. I'll be curious to see which students chose this book for Summer Reading.
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |
She tries to cover too much in this book- her personal history, history of Pakistan and Swat, etc. and it doesn't always flow. Obviously she is one brave girl though and it's still worth knowing her story. ( )
  nheredia05 | Jun 12, 2018 |

Malala Yousafzaiprimary authorall editionscalculated
Lamb, Christinamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Archie PanjabiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the girls who have faced injustice and been silenced. Together we will be heard.
When I was born, people in our village commiserated with my mother and nobody congratulated my father.
Prologue: I come from a country that was created at midnight.
Though we loved school, we hadn't realized how important education was until the Taliban tried to stop us.
The Taliban could take our pens and books, but they couldn't stop our minds from thinking.
Please do not combine abridged editions (including the 2016 Quick Reads edition) with this, the main unabridged work.
I Am Malala is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, of a father who, himself a school owner, championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons.
-Amazon

When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley in Pakistan, one girl spoke out. Malala Yousafzai refused to be silenced and fought for her right to an education.

On Tuesday, October 9, 2012, when she was fifteen, she almost paid the ultimate price. She was shot in the head at point-blank range while riding the bus home from school, and few expected her to survive.

Instead, Malala's miraculous recovery has taken her on an extraordinary journey from a remote valley in northern Pakistan to the halls of the United Nations in New York. At sixteen, she has become a global symbol of peaceful protest and the youngest nominee ever for the Nobel Peace Prize.

I AM MALALA is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, of a father who, himself a school owner, championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons.

I AM MALALA will make you believe in the power of one person's voice to inspire change in the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:43 -0400)

When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley, one girl spoke out. Malala Yousafzai refused to be silenced and fought for her right to an education. On Tuesday October 9, 2012, she almost paid the ultimate price.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,585,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible