I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the…

by Malala Yousafzai, Christina Lamb

5,5152451,550 (4.11)1 / 211
When the Taliban took control of the Swat Valley in Pakistan, one girl spoke out. Malala Yousafzai refused to be silenced and fought for her right to an education. On Tuesday, October 9, 2012, when she was fifteen, she almost paid the ultimate price. She was shot in the head at point-blank range while riding the bus home from school, and few expected her to survive. Instead, Malala's miraculous recovery has taken her on an extraordinary journey from a remote valley in northern Pakistan to the halls of the United Nations in New York. At sixteen, she has become a global symbol of peaceful protest and the youngest nominee ever for the Nobel Peace Prize. This is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, of a father who, himself a school owner, championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons. This story will make you believe in the power of one person's voice to inspire change in the world. -- Publisher's description.… (more)

English (232)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  All languages (242)
Malala Yousafzai's story is both heartbreaking and entirely inspiring for not just girls but everyone. Her writing is filled with courage and an undeniable love that you cannot help but feel. It continually blows my mind that a girl around my age (17) had the courage to stand up for something when the odds against her were heavily stacked. Malala talks of change and she actually has reasons, evidence, and solutions unlike so many others of our time. This book gives us a wonderful view into that society by allowing us to live through Malala's experiences. We witness her (and her father's) courage as they fight for what they believe in, work to educate women, risk their lives and their own safety for what they think is right, endure terrible repercussions, and never give up despite suffering such consequences. Malala is now one of my inspirations, and I will try my best to be as brave, caring, selfless, helpful, and optimistic as she is. We should all try to emulate Malala a little more, in my opinion. ( )
  TrinityYouth | Aug 9, 2022 |
What an amazing, beautiful book. Malala is an absolute inspiration. Hearing about the life she and her family led leading up to and after Malala’s shooting takes you away from your own life and opens your eyes to the horrors that many have had to go through, but also the love and beauty of a home that can remain so strong even through so much hardship. At times I got a little lost in the information and names towards the middle of the book, but I think that speaks more to my own ignorance on the topic than anything. A very, very inspirational read. ( )
  grandma.meg | Aug 3, 2022 |
I wish Malala has actually written more of this than she did. Tho the info dumps were interesting. ( )
  Hamptot71 | Jul 18, 2022 |
Well written and easy to get into. Paints a very clear and grim picture of life in Pakistan. This is an important story that all young people,boys and girls, should read to be aware of what is happening in the world. I want my teenage sons to read it to understand that women's lives can be very precarious in many other parts of the world and that, like Malala, I believe that education is the answer to many of the worlds biggest problems. ( )
  Luziadovalongo | Jul 14, 2022 |
Inspirational Memoir
You may know her as the girl the Taliban shot or the girl who won the Nobel Peace Prize. There’s so much more to Malala’s story. This excellent memoir transports you to the innocence and war-torn terror of her beloved Pakistan as she fights to stay alive and get an education under the threat of the Taliban. ( )
  krraye | Jun 27, 2022 |

Yousafzai, Malalaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lamb, Christinamain authorall editionsconfirmed
Panjabi, ArchieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all the girls who have faced injustice and been silenced. Together we will be heard.
When I was born, people in our village commiserated with my mother and nobody congratulated my father.
Prologue: I come from a country that was created at midnight.
Though we loved school, we hadn't realized how important education was until the Taliban tried to stop us.
The Taliban could take our pens and books, but they couldn't stop our minds from thinking.
Please do not combine abridged editions (including the 2016 Quick Reads edition) with this, the main unabridged work.

I Am Malala is the remarkable tale of a family uprooted by global terrorism, of the fight for girls' education, of a father who, himself a school owner, championed and encouraged his daughter to write and attend school, and of brave parents who have a fierce love for their daughter in a society that prizes sons.
-Amazon

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,664,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible