The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx

The Communist Manifesto (1848)

by Karl Marx, Friedrich Engels (Author)

The German Ideology, including Theses on Feuerbach (Great Books in Philosophy) by Karl Marx (TomWaitsTables)
    All That Is Solid Melts into Air: The Experience of Modernity by Marshall Berman (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: This is a book which explores the concept of modernity through the lens of works by such authors as Goethe, Baudelaire, Marx, through to the writers of St. Petersburg at a time when modernity seemed to be passing them by. It's a book written with undeniable passion, which swallows the reader whole (at least it did with me). I have never thought about texts like The Communist Manifesto in the same way since reading it.… (more)
    Dialectic of Enlightenment by Max Horkheimer (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: Before I explain why, I'd just like to add that this was co-authored by Adorno, though that doesn't seem to be logged here. I have only read the chapter 'The Culture Industry', but it provides excellent insight into the ways in which marxist theory has progressed. Following the failed student revolts in France, and the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Frankfurt School was set up by way of exploring what had happened to allow such a grand false start. The Culture Industry in particular explores the way in which capitalism assimilates cultural forms, thereby robbing them of their revolutionary potential. I just love their writing style and hope others do to.… (more)
    Marx for Beginners by Rius (chwiggy)
    chwiggy: Marx for Beginners is a quick and easy way to get the gist of Marx' theories.
    The Capitalist Manifesto: The Historic, Economic and Philosophic Case for Laissez-Faire by Andrew Bernstein (mcaution)
    mcaution: Perfect antidote for Marx and the dialectic.
    Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal (original 1966 edition) by Ayn Rand (mcaution)
    mcaution: Proven time and again from an economic standpoint, Rand provides a much needed defense of capitalism from the philosophic.

English (72)  Italian (3)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (81)
It has drowned the most heavenly ecstasies of religious fervor, of chivalrous enthusiasm, of philistine sentimentalism, in the icy water of egotistical calculation. It has resolved personal worth into exchange value, and in place of the numberless indefeasible chartered freedoms, has set up that single, unconscionable freedom—Free Trade. In one word, for exploitation, veiled by religious and political illusions, it has substituted naked, shameless, direct, brutal exploitation.

What can or should be said? This screed appears both pivotal and yet fantastic. How should we proceed and parse? I found it strange that I had never read this pamphlet. It goes with out saying that I had absorbed all of its aims previously by osmosis and secondary references. I marveled at its poetry and shuddered at the displayed certainty. Such ruminations on historical inevitability are simply chiliasm.

No one could fathom in the 19th Century how pernicious and gripping nationalism would prove nor, the ghostly strains of Islam, especially in Central Asia. The fact that capitalism could turn matter into liquid should've tipped off Karl and Fred about the nature of their foe. We have proved to be whores. We are also driven by baubles and thrive on peer recognition. Self Criticism was always going to be a hard sell. Marx and Engels announced their agenda in this manifesto. It was calmly stated that private property would be abolished. Collectivization flashed across my mind but appearing just as suddenly was the bloody strikebreaking in South Africa in 2012. Do you have a world to gain, Jacob Zuma? Oh those imps of our natures. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
It's important to read the original source material on things.
  eraderneely | Feb 14, 2019 |
Thought I should read this. Think I did in college. It is short. I read it twice. It is mostly gibberish to me. I have a bachelor's degree in Government with a minor in Economics and American History. I think I would have to read a lot of background to even know what they were trying to say. I suppose I understood it better years ago when I was up on all of the philosophy but I could not help but think about how communism failed in the Soviet Union and in China.
The working class is still being oppressed. They have to work harder to get what we all want. Concentrated political and economic power are remaining (perpetual) problems but this document is not very clear or seems preposterous. It also seems very dated.
We should keep working on making the world more fair, more generous. After all, we all essentially want the same things: love, family, food, health, homes, transportation, safety and entertainment, etc. There is enough if we could find a way to distribute it without anyone bearing a disproportionate burden to obtain and distribute it. ( )
  DonaldPowell | Feb 5, 2019 |
I first read the Communist Manifesto my freshman year in college in a comparative literature class. It’s an interesting text to return to decades later with both the failures of communist states in the rear view mirror and with the increasing state of economic inequality and global exploitation in the present. ( )
  jalbacutler | Nov 4, 2018 |
Archaic socioeconomic theory that still attracts naive youths by appealing to their mythic imagination and their sense of victim-hood. Occasionally Marx still destroys countries and their economies, like Venezuela. ( )
1 vote Chickenman | Sep 12, 2018 |

Moore, SamuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tailleur, MichèleEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, A. J. P.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trotsky, LeonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0140447571, Paperback)

"A spectre is haunting Europe," Karl Marx and Frederic Engels wrote in 1848, "the spectre of Communism." This new edition of The Communist Manifesto, commemorating the 150th anniversary of its publication, includes an introduction by renowned historian Eric Hobsbawm which reminds us of the document's continued relevance. Marx and Engels's critique of capitalism and its deleterious effect on all aspects of life, from the increasing rift between the classes to the destruction of the nuclear family, has proven remarkably prescient. Their spectre, manifested in the Manifesto's vivid prose, continues to haunt the capitalist world, lingering as a ghostly apparition even after the collapse of those governments which claimed to be enacting its principles.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:28 -0400)

The political tract in which Marx presented the core of his philosophy and revolutionary program, with an introduction analyzing its significance to the realities of today and to Marx's own times.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140447571, 0141018933, 0143106260, 0141194898, 0451531841

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,644,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible