The Communist Manifesto (1848)

by Karl Marx, Friedrich Engels (Author)

Critically and textually up-to-date, this new edition of the classic translation (Samuel Moore, 1888) features an introduction and notes by the eminent Marx scholar David McLellan, prefaces written by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels subsequent to the original 1848 publication, and corrections of errors made in earlier versions. Regarded as one of the most influential political tracts ever written, The Communist Manifesto serves as the foundation document of the Marxist movement. This summary of the Marxist vision is an incisive account of the world-view Marx and Engels had evolved during their hectic intellectual and political collaboration of the previous few years.… (more)
    The German Ideology, including Theses on Feuerbach by Karl Marx (TomWaitsTables)
    All That Is Solid Melts into Air: The Experience of Modernity by Marshall Berman (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: This is a book which explores the concept of modernity through the lens of works by such authors as Goethe, Baudelaire, Marx, through to the writers of St. Petersburg at a time when modernity seemed to be passing them by. It's a book written with undeniable passion, which swallows the reader whole (at least it did with me). I have never thought about texts like The Communist Manifesto in the same way since reading it.… (more)
    Dialectic of Enlightenment by Max Horkheimer (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: Before I explain why, I'd just like to add that this was co-authored by Adorno, though that doesn't seem to be logged here. I have only read the chapter 'The Culture Industry', but it provides excellent insight into the ways in which marxist theory has progressed. Following the failed student revolts in France, and the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Frankfurt School was set up by way of exploring what had happened to allow such a grand false start. The Culture Industry in particular explores the way in which capitalism assimilates cultural forms, thereby robbing them of their revolutionary potential. I just love their writing style and hope others do to.… (more)
    Marx for Beginners by Rius (chwiggy)
    chwiggy: Marx for Beginners is a quick and easy way to get the gist of Marx' theories.
    The Capitalist Manifesto: The Historic, Economic and Philosophic Case for Laissez-Faire by Andrew Bernstein (mcaution)
    mcaution: Perfect antidote for Marx and the dialectic.
    Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal (original 1966 edition) by Ayn Rand (mcaution)
    mcaution: Proven time and again from an economic standpoint, Rand provides a much needed defense of capitalism from the philosophic.

English (101)  Italian (4)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (115)
The Communist Manifesto makes a good case against communism. Enough said. ( )
  bdgamer | Sep 10, 2021 |
I don't really know how to rate this, so assume my 3 stars is neutral in this case. Really interesting and insightful read. ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
I’ll be doing a real review when I read the book end-to-end. I read the actual manifesto part, and I read some of the prefaces of the editions/translations, so I’m counting it as a read. ( )
  historybookreads | Jul 26, 2021 |
A classic of political thought

Written in 1848, this seminal work inspired the likes of Vladimir Lenin, Fidel Castro and Mao Tse Tung, although nowhere are, say, doctors paid the same as everyone else . ( )
  Jimbookbuff1963 | Jun 5, 2021 |
i re-read this today while listening to Kim Petras' new album, "Clarity."
make of that what you will, but this is the definitive description of my year. ( )
  rosscharles | May 19, 2021 |

Trotsky, LeonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Has as a commentary on the text

To the memory of Raphael Samuel
A specter is haunting Europe—the specter of Communism.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140447571, 0141018933, 0143106260, 0141194898, 0451531841

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,274,082 books! | Top bar: Always visible