The Communist Manifesto (1848)

by Karl Marx, Friedrich Engels (Author)

13,473124361 (3.44)1 / 166
Founding document of the modern revolutionary workers movement, published in 1848. Explains why communism is not a set of preconceived principles but the line of march of the working class toward power, ¿springing from an existing class struggle, a historical movement going on under our very eyes.¿ Publisher: Talaye Porsoo… (more)
    The German Ideology, including Theses on Feuerbach by Karl Marx (TomWaitsTables)
    All That Is Solid Melts into Air: The Experience of Modernity by Marshall Berman (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: This is a book which explores the concept of modernity through the lens of works by such authors as Goethe, Baudelaire, Marx, through to the writers of St. Petersburg at a time when modernity seemed to be passing them by. It's a book written with undeniable passion, which swallows the reader whole (at least it did with me). I have never thought about texts like The Communist Manifesto in the same way since reading it.… (more)
    Dialectic of Enlightenment by Max Horkheimer (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: Before I explain why, I'd just like to add that this was co-authored by Adorno, though that doesn't seem to be logged here. I have only read the chapter 'The Culture Industry', but it provides excellent insight into the ways in which marxist theory has progressed. Following the failed student revolts in France, and the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Frankfurt School was set up by way of exploring what had happened to allow such a grand false start. The Culture Industry in particular explores the way in which capitalism assimilates cultural forms, thereby robbing them of their revolutionary potential. I just love their writing style and hope others do to.… (more)
    Marx for Beginners by Rius (chwiggy)
    chwiggy: Marx for Beginners is a quick and easy way to get the gist of Marx' theories.
    The Capitalist Manifesto: The Historic, Economic and Philosophic Case for Laissez-Faire by Andrew Bernstein (mcaution)
    mcaution: Perfect antidote for Marx and the dialectic.
    Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal (original 1966 edition) by Ayn Rand (mcaution)
    mcaution: Proven time and again from an economic standpoint, Rand provides a much needed defense of capitalism from the philosophic.

English (107)  Italian (4)  Portuguese (Brazil) (3)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (123)
scary how accurate this still all is ( )
1 vote Danisstillalive | Sep 6, 2022 |
Tr. by Samuel Moore (1888) and ed. by Friedrich Engels Includes prefaces to various editions
  TorontoOratorySPN | Sep 2, 2022 |
interesting as a historical document.

Excessively flawed philosophy and outlook. ( )
  kburne1 | Aug 13, 2022 |
The Communist Manifesto Karl Marx and Fredrick Engles

Why I picked this book up: The USA had a huge push from Black Lives Matter (BLM) during Donald Trump's presidency (2016-20) and the leader of the movement said she was a Marxist. It was a horrible movement to me. Not because black lives don't matter but all lives matter. God values all lives and no that is NOT racist. I started reading Atlas Shrugged (I'm on part four now) and there us a crazy push for socialism which leads to communism. I picked up this book to understand more about Markism.

Authors info:
Karl Marx (1818-1883) was a German philosopher, political economist, historian, political theorist, sociologist, communist, and revolutionary, whose ideas played a significant role in the development of modern communism. Marx summarized his approach in the first line of chapter one of The Communist Manifesto, published in 1848: "The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles." Marx argued that capitalism, like previous socioeconomic systems, would inevitably produce internal tensions which would lead to its destruction. Just as capitalism replaced feudalism, he believed socialism would, in its turn, replace capitalism, and lead to a stateless, classless society called pure communism. This would emerge after a transitional period called the "dictatorship of the proletariat": a period sometimes referred to as the "workers state" or "workers' democracy". In section one of The Communist Manifesto Marx describes feudalism, capitalism, and the role internal social contradictions play in the historical process: We see then: the means of production and of exchange, on whose foundation the bourgeoisie built itself up, were generated in feudal society. At a certain stage in the development of these means of production and of exchange, the conditions under which feudal society produced and exchanged...the feudal relations of property became no longer compatible with the already developed productive forces; they became so many fetters. They had to be burst asunder; they were burst asunder. Into their place stepped free competition, accompanied by a social and political constitution adapted in it, and the economic and political sway of the bourgeois class. A similar movement is going on before our own eyes.... The productive forces at the disposal of society no longer tend to further the development of the conditions of bourgeois property; on the contrary, they have become too powerful for these conditions, by which they are fettered, and so soon as they overcome these fetters, they bring order into the whole of bourgeois society, endanger the existence of bourgeois property.Marx argued for a systemic understanding of socio-economic change.

About Friedrich Engels
Friedrich Engels (English /ˈɛŋɡəlz/ or /ˈɛŋəlz/; German: [ˈfʁiːdʁɪç ˈɛŋəls]; 28 November 1820 – 5 August 1895) was a German philosopher, social scientist, journalist and businessman. He founded Marxist theory together with Karl Marx. In 1845 he published The Condition of the Working Class in England, based on personal observations and research in Manchester.
In 1848 he co-authored The Communist Manifesto with Karl Marx, though he also authored and co-authored (primarily with Marx) many other works, and later he supported Marx financially to do research and write Das Kapital. After Marx's death, Engels edited the second and third volumes. Additionally, Engels organised Marx's notes on the "Theories of Surplus Value," which he later published as the "fourth volume" of Capital. He has also made contributions to family economics

Thoughts: from the get this books is set up as social ranks and conflict. The class ranks are set up with conflicts right away. Labor vs industry, proletariat vs bourgeoisie. Capitalist vs laborers. Social status always has people more well off and less so. This book was a book was a call for revolution this book put forward history is steeped in class struggle. I do not think it is only about finances. That is one thing but there are also other things. There us always hierarchical structures in biology. We struggle for life in this world against the world and that is not just economic as Marxs lays out in this book. This books makes claims but does not at all talk about his those thing would actually happen. I think Marx and Engles say thing work in capitalism which they argue against I guess. In the end, even communism and socialism there is going to be inequality even though they try to make everybody equal.

Why I finished this read: I am thankful for capitalism, not the social aspect how Marx described it but the free market we live in is the greatest wealth producing system the world has seen. The risk is there and it is set by the consumers. If people do not value the good or service they don't have to pay it and ibe t will feedback to the system and prices will have to change. Socialism does not work, it just does not and that is not ask people often say nowadays, “because it was not done right.” History show people starve because of it and they often need to eat their pets to survive. And communism is very similar. We can't have the government outlawing citizens making money.

I rated this book one star as it is greatly lacking depth and there has not been the claimed working class revolt. ( )
  DrT | Feb 16, 2022 |

Moners i Sinyol, JordiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Moore, SamuelTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Randall, Francis B.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rees, W. J.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sieuwertsz van Reesema, William CarlTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Smith, Mark F.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Tailleur, MichèleEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, A. J. P.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Trotsky, LeonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Has as a study

Has as a commentary on the text

To the memory of Raphael Samuel
A specter is haunting Europe—the specter of Communism.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140447571, 0141018933, 0143106260, 0141194898, 0451531841

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 176,587,956 books! | Top bar: Always visible