The Communist Manifesto (Penguin Classics)…

The Communist Manifesto (Penguin Classics) (original 1848; edition 2002)

by Karl Marx (Author)

12,755116366 (3.44)1 / 162
Founding document of the modern working-class movement, published in 1848. Explains why communism is not a set of preconceived principles but the line of march of the working class toward power, ¿springing from an existing class struggle, a historical movement going on under our very eyes.¿
Member:MichaelMeinhart
Title:The Communist Manifesto (Penguin Classics)
Authors:Karl Marx (Author)
Info:Penguin Classics (2002), Edition: 1, 304 pages

Work Information

The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx (Author) (1848)

The German Ideology, including Theses on Feuerbach by Karl Marx (TomWaitsTables)
    All That Is Solid Melts into Air: The Experience of Modernity by Marshall Berman (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: This is a book which explores the concept of modernity through the lens of works by such authors as Goethe, Baudelaire, Marx, through to the writers of St. Petersburg at a time when modernity seemed to be passing them by. It's a book written with undeniable passion, which swallows the reader whole (at least it did with me). I have never thought about texts like The Communist Manifesto in the same way since reading it.… (more)
    Dialectic of Enlightenment by Max Horkheimer (BeeQuiet)
    BeeQuiet: Before I explain why, I'd just like to add that this was co-authored by Adorno, though that doesn't seem to be logged here. I have only read the chapter 'The Culture Industry', but it provides excellent insight into the ways in which marxist theory has progressed. Following the failed student revolts in France, and the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Frankfurt School was set up by way of exploring what had happened to allow such a grand false start. The Culture Industry in particular explores the way in which capitalism assimilates cultural forms, thereby robbing them of their revolutionary potential. I just love their writing style and hope others do to.… (more)
    Marx for Beginners by Rius (chwiggy)
    chwiggy: Marx for Beginners is a quick and easy way to get the gist of Marx' theories.
    The Capitalist Manifesto: The Historic, Economic and Philosophic Case for Laissez-Faire by Andrew Bernstein (mcaution)
    mcaution: Perfect antidote for Marx and the dialectic.
    Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal (original 1966 edition) by Ayn Rand (mcaution)
    mcaution: Proven time and again from an economic standpoint, Rand provides a much needed defense of capitalism from the philosophic.

English (102)  Italian (4)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (Brazil) (2)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  All languages (116)
I'm not rating this because I don't want to but as a sociology and a political science major, I have read parts of this or the whole work enough times to appreciate the impact of this work. Marx and Engels writing in order to convince common people is so different from some of their other writings I have read of theirs when they are writing for other academics. Though we may view this work as hopelessly idyllic and impossible, I don't think you can over state the impact this work has had on many fields. Marx is considered one of the fathers of sociology and not because all sociologists are communists but rather because of his theories on class and alienation. Even though the society Marx and Engels propose here looks very different from out society today, there are still some changes that have been made to fit this vision in some countries, such as universal education in the U.S. I think there are lots of fair criticisms of this work (many later theorists have elaborated on or refuted this work) but I don't think the reputation this book has is always a fair one and I would encourage people to read it for themselves.
  AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |
The Communist Manifesto makes a good case against communism. Enough said. ( )
  bdgamer | Sep 10, 2021 |
I don't really know how to rate this, so assume my 3 stars is neutral in this case. Really interesting and insightful read. ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
I’ll be doing a real review when I read the book end-to-end. I read the actual manifesto part, and I read some of the prefaces of the editions/translations, so I’m counting it as a read. ( )
  historybookreads | Jul 26, 2021 |
A classic of political thought

Written in 1848, this seminal work inspired the likes of Vladimir Lenin, Fidel Castro and Mao Tse Tung, although nowhere are, say, doctors paid the same as everyone else . ( )
  Jimbookbuff1963 | Jun 5, 2021 |

Trotsky, LeonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is retold in

Has the adaptation

Has as a commentary on the text

To the memory of Raphael Samuel
A specter is haunting Europe—the specter of Communism.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140447571, 0141018933, 0143106260, 0141194898, 0451531841

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,351,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible