Bloody Lessons

by M. Louisa Locke

Series: Victorian San Francisco Mysteries (3)

In Bloody Lessons, it's the winter of 1880, and the teachers of San Francisco are under attack: their salaries slashed and their competency and morals questioned in a series of poison pen letters. Annie Fuller, the reluctant clairvoyant, has been called in to investigate by Nate Dawson, her lawyer beau, and the case becomes personal when they discover that Laura, Nate's sister, may be one of the teachers targeted for attack.In this installment in the Victorian San Francisco Mystery series, readers will find the same blend of a cozy mystery and romantic suspense, played out against the historical backdrop of late 19th century San Francisco, that they found in Maids of Misfortune and Uneasy Spirits.If you are new to this series, you will still enjoy spending time with the lively residents of Annie Fuller's boarding house and visiting San Francisco when Golden Gate Park was filled with horse-drawn carriages, politics were controlled by saloon-keepers, and kisses were stolen under gaslight.… (more)

Its 1880 San Francisco and after the salaries of teachers have been reduced, upsetting anonymous letters have been sent to some teachers.
Laura Dawson a new teacher is employed as a replacement for her very close friend Hattie, who has given up her employment - Laura shows her immaturity by not accepting the reason why. Can this have any connection to these letters.
Annie Fuller is asked by her lawyer friend Nate Dawson to help in the investigation.
Fairly easy and enjoyable read ( )
  Vesper1931 | Jul 29, 2021 |
M. Louisa Locke’s Victorian San Francisco mystery series is a very enjoyable series. Annie Fuller is the central character. She is a widow from a not too happy marriage, who relocated to San Francisco from the East Coast. She runs a boarding house, inherited from an aunt, and supplements her income as a clairvoyant and business consultant.

1880 and the teachers in the public school system are having a rough go. Salaries are being cut and they are being criticized on their morals and competency by anonymous letters.

Laura Dawson, a new resident of Annie’s boarding house and sister of Annie’s beau Nate, is a possible target of these letters. Laura has come to San Francisco and taken a teaching position after learning of it from Hattie, a close friend and classmate. When the classmate winds up dead, things start to get very interesting. Why did Hattie change from being set on going to University to get a degree and career to settle for getting married? Was Hattie’s death an accident or a murder, as her last words hinted at?

Locke’s writing takes you into the late 1800s in San Francisco. The styles, morals, way of life, very different from today’s world: a time that was not a good one for women wanting to be independent.

I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Mar 4, 2020 |
In this story, we see more of Laura - Nate's sister who has come to live in San Francisco and is working as a teacher. The story centers around some mysterious threats to teachers and Laura finds herself in the middle of it. I found Laura to be too impulsive and really didn't enjoy reading her story as much, which was unfortunate since she was the star in this story. I did hope to see more of Annie, who showed up more after the first quarter of the book.

This was also one story where, while I thought I knew what was happening in the very beginning, definitely threw me off for a little. It's layered, and interesting, but again, the focus on Laura's narrative took away from the story for me. ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
OK mystery though the solution seemed fairly clear to me early on. I like the 1870s San Francisco setting but found Nate's sister Laura irritating. ( )
  leslie.98 | Feb 28, 2016 |
Although I enjoyed the book I didn't think it had the snap of the first two. It had less of Annie's unusual job as a medium which I think gives the series it's color, and the setting at a boarding school didn't appeal to me either. I in part owe that to my kids just getting done with high school and my relief over it, I didn't really want to read about school. But how could I not read the next in the series?

Aside from the above I enjoyed the growth in Nate and Annie's relationship. I did not expect the big revel of the friend of Nate's sister, so that was like a bomb shell in the story which I liked. (I'm not going to say what it was and spoil it.) I also liked getting deeper into the characters who lived at the boarding house. Lots of mystery going on there. Over all a very enjoyable read and I look forward to seeing what Ms. Locke comes up with next. ( )
  CindyAmrhein | May 20, 2014 |

M. Louisa Lockeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Huffaker, MichelleCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laura Dawson surveyed the row of long division problems she had written on the blackboard.

M. Louisa Locke is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,159,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible